ISO Key Fob

Looking for a key fob that will work with smartthings. I wanted it to be able to give it to childcare if/when they pick up my kids so they can open my garage door and get in my house. Currently she texts me and I remotely open door for her. All the the posts I have been reading are pretty old and all of the ones listed on the app, I dont think they sale anymore. Looking for a setup almost like the iris keyfob. Any ideas (links?) TIA

Key fob with buttons or a presence sensor? Those are two different functions.

If you just want a key fob with buttons, there are several in the buttons faq, in particular the Aeotec nanomote. (The FAQ is only supposed to have one or two posts per device, and usually there is a link to a discussion thread about each device. If you do have any follow-up questions, either use the appropriate device discussion thread, or come back here and ask. Thanks! )

FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-NanoMote-control-Rechargeable-MiniMote/dp/B07CXMD83J

It’s a nice device, but it’s just a button remote. It won’t automatically open the door, she will have to push the button and you will have programmed that to open your garage door. If you want, you can create a schedule so the button only works to open the door at specific dates and times. :sunglasses:

As far as presence sensors where you don’t have to push the button, that gets more complicated with the new app.

3 Likes

A button, just like the one you sent. (Once pressed it till open garage door) I keep looking for minimote (not Nano). Thanks for the thread link as well. I can post f/u questions there! Thanks!!

1 Like

Have you thought about putting a keypad outside your garage door? The advantage to that is you can’t “lose” the keyfob and since it runs on user codes, you can always change them anytime. If the keypad is “stolen”, nothing happens since the codes aren’t stored in the keypad physically so they can’t use it to open the garage door.

Check out this topic first post for some keypads you can get for under $20: [RELEASE] Enhanced ZigBee Keypad - Centralite Keypad, Lowes IRIS Keypad, UEI Keypad and Xfinity Keypad Device Handler

2 Likes

I never thought of it, but now that I read the thread I think this would work perfect for my needs! Thank you!

2 Likes

Just a f/u, I got the keypad XHK1 and code from http://rboyapps.com/ and everything is working great, thanks so much for the idea! Just need to weather proof it. I did also get a keyfob (more for me now) and once I get it I will f/u with how it works! Thanks again!

1 Like