Is there a zwave device similar to garage gate safety sensors?

Hi There

Today I was observing the always super reliable and accurate sensors, which prevent the garage door from crushing someone. There is a receiver and a transmitter unit - they look like this:

I was wondering if there is a z-wave or wifi device that effectively does the same thing? I can think of so many applications for it, especially since it can be used outdoors in bright day light

Thanks

2 Likes

oh for sure, I wouldnt use it for Garage applications! I’m just thinking for other applications, like motion detection for narrow areas, that also work during day time. Can you recommend an example (link) of a low-cost dry contact zwave sensor, and provide more explanation on how something like this can be put together? thank you

1 Like

also what does dry sensor exactly mean?

What you’re looking for is what’s called a “Break Beam Sensor”. Break beam sensors come in a couple configurations, either one sided or two sided. Two sided beam sensors need power at both sides of the sensor setup, one sided use a reflector at one side with the light source and sensor combined at the other side.

I’ve been using this beam sensor in combination with this Z-Wave dry contact module for a couple of years now. The setup is super reliable and fast to respond. The one-sided configuration prevents me from having to run wire all over the place but takes careful alignment during setup. We have a lot of pets in the house and normal PIR motion sensors are constantly being tripped by cats and dogs. With the beam sensor I can set a beam at chest level which will only be triggered by humans.

The only downside is that the sensor has a physical relay so it clicks every time it’s triggered which might be annoying in some use cases.

2 Likes

thank you ! Do you have a simple wiring diagram for this? Wouldnt it be the same if i connected them to door sensors like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3810t3nbU . Also I live in a 220v area, would your beam sensors still work ? Also, are these the same as your beam sensors? (seem to be half the price and highly rated) https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-LiftMaster-Craftsman-801CB-Replacement/dp/B001JDG1KU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495922642&sr=1-2&keywords=beam+sensor