Is SmartThings ADT dead? (July 2019) (Lifeshield/Blue by ADT Acquisition and Support comments on EOL)

Thanks! I now understand why ADT Panel by itself would have problems if ADT left the agreement. My next question is, who owns the device/rights for the ADT Panel and ADT sensors? Perhaps Samsung makes the device(s)?

Also, looking at this comparison between scout alarm vs adt integration, has anything gotten better with the scout alarm option, or has it stayed the same as a bad option for those looking for home security?

Historically, smartthings has relied on OEMs to manufacture the SmartThings-branded devices.

The ADT SmartThings dual logo motion sensor, for example, was manufactured by Nortek. But I have no idea who holds the rights to it, I don’t think the Samsung/ADT agreements were ever released publicly.

Also, looking at this comparison between scout alarm vs adt integration, has anything gotten better with the scout alarm option

Nothing has changed except that smartthings stopped actively marketing it to their customers once they had the ADT arrangement.

It’s still listed in the official knowledgebase, but that’s about it:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/categories/200058800-Guide-to-SmartThings

1 Like

From the linked knowledge base I was able to get to the Scout Alarm Monitoring page and review the Always on+ plan for $19.99.

The Always On+ plan includes:

24/7/365 UL-certified Professional Monitoring for Burglary and Fire
Access to the Scout Alarm mobile apps (iOS/Android) and the web dashboard – Necessary to remotely monitor and control your Scout system!
4G cellular backup in case your power and/or internet goes down
Unlimited text message notifications
Unlimited phone call notifications  
Unlimited push notifications
Unlimited email notifications

Since the plan includes a 4G cellular backup and you suggest it’s not true, I’m guessing that the page hasn’t been update and at one time or another the plan did include a 4G cellular backup.

Is that a fair assumption?

Nope.

The page you linked to is for the one using the scout hub equipment that ships directly from them. Not the smartthings Integration.

The smartthings integration has no cellular and can only notify the police department, not fire.

https://smartthings.scoutalarm.com

I know it’s not obvious, but you clicked on the scout equipment faq, not the smartthings hub FAQ.

Here’s the smartthings FAQ on the scout site:

“No scout hub required“ but also no cellular and no fire monitoring.

3 Likes

Thanks! I actually clicked on “Monitoring” and somehow found the same link that you listed. In any case, it’s a shame that Scout Alarm doesn’t offer the same service for Smartthings because we know that they could if they wanted to. Obviously they want customers to buy their products, which are not cheap, and no integration of Smartthings z-wave and zigbee options apparently. BTW, their website setup is similar to Simplisafe, where they have a build your own or bundles to choose from.

They can’t, because the smartthings hub doesn’t have the same capabilities as the scout hub. It’s the smartthings hub that lacks a cellular module. it’s the smartthings devices which are not UL listed for security systems. it’s the smartthings hub which doesn’t have an eight hour battery back up. And it’s the smartthings hub which is cloud-based.

The ADT model hub added a cellular module, UL listed security devices, an 8 hour battery backup, and a little more local processing than the other smartthings hub models. So of course it can be done, but it can’t be done with The V2 or V3 or Wi-Fi mesh smartthings hub models. That’s not scout’s fault. That’s just the reality.

The Z wave and zigbee protocols that smartthings uses are not UL listed for security. Mesh networks generally aren’t. In 2016, the S2 security framework for Z wave did get UL listing for security, and it was a big deal. But most zwave devices made before 2018 don’t support the S2 security framework, and that includes all of the smartthings hubs so far.

https://z-wavealliance.org/z-wave-scores-huge-ul-win-for-security-a-first-for-mesh-technology/

3 Likes

Sounds like those using home security have to wait and see if ADT ends the partnership with Smartthings and wait to see if Smartthings upgrades their hub to meet Scout and others criteria.

Or just continue to evaluate other candidates in case one of those meets their needs for security. :wink:. Ring, Abode, and Simplisafe all have “no long term contract” options for professionally monitored DIY install security systems.

2 Likes

I don’t see the SmartThings ADT hub listed on Best Buy

Best Buy is showing the item as no longer available.

Where the ADT Smartthings devices are available, they are steeply discounted, like the area of about 70%…

I am honestly saddened by this because every indicator is there that at least the ADT option is going away. To a next generation? Who knows, it’s actually about time for one, but I can’t say for sure…

The whole DIY home security / automation market is really getting to be a joke. The platforms with a relatively full feature set are flaky / going away, and the other platforms either don’t have automation, or don’t do security…

I hate the concept of having to go with 2 separate systems because, well honestly I don’t have any chance of getting what I really want, but I can get close with Ring security / Smartthings to control my lighting / HVAC…

What a pain in the tail…

As I am looking for a service…since IRIS is desolving, I spoke with LifeShield today, they mentioned when someone doesn’t want ADT they are refer them to them now. It appears with the ADT purchase if you don’t pay for the monthly monitoring fee, they will not allow you to have access to the services of the free App.

We picked up the Samsung SmartThing hub as well and haven’t been able to get it to work, and will be taking it back to Best buy…Probably tomorrow now that I have read this thread.

This was different than I had read in a number of articles I had read. the minimum month to month is $29.
Still looking for replacement for IRIS now…

Oly,

Can you clarify what you mean. The ADT dashboard in Smartthings is not dependent on a subscription. Many people use it without monitoring. Also monitoring on the ADT Smartthings panel is not $29, but 24.95 for month to month for security monitoring and less if you pay for 6 months at a time.

I see you joined 11 hours ago and post this at the same time. So i suspect you haven’t asked the community for support. What are you struggling with on the Smartthings hub.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading in that it is just speculation, and the closest thing we have lately to something being official is a statement from some support person saying it isn’t going anywhere.

2 Likes

Definitely just speculation, but the exact quote from the first level support person was

isn’t being dropped in the foreseeable future

a statement that means nothing since SmartThings doesn’t publish timelines or future plans. And the official terms of use says they can drop any feature at any time without notice.

So we will just have to see.

3 Likes

I guess my problem is when i see a thread like this with nothing official to back it up i worry about the negative impact the impression will have. It is kind of like when they first launched the ADT Smartthings Panel and there were a bunch of folks spreading incorrect info about what it could and couldn’t do. I guess that is part of life now though. Reading through the lines to try to find the truth.

2 Likes

Granted, but it’s also true that this thread has been up for two weeks and no one official has come through to say, “Don’t worry about it, we have a longterm commitment to this partnership.” So it’s understandable that speculation continues.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t clearer.

I am not referring to the Smartthings/ADT hub in my statement. My concern is the ADT purchase of LifeShield and information provided by their representative, and concern about the potential future impacts to the ADT side of the Smartthings program.

That said, given that LifeShield monitoring appears to be handled by ADT, which I am assuming is the Cloud portion of this program.

When I specifically asked the question of the Representative about self monitoring of the Lifeshield product. I was told if you do not pay for monitoring portion, your log in will be disabled, IE no push notification and no longer able to view the system remotely in their ‘free’ app. The system will still sound alerts but these will not be connected to anything.

The cost of the monitoring of with LifeShield is dependent on several factors if you purchase equipment, Monitoring is $20 with a 3 year commitment on month to month to $24.99. It sounds like this is the same for the monthly monitoring on SmartThings/ADT system.

My concern and why I shared this information is to draw attention to what appears to be an ADT system concern for those who use the ST/ADT platform:
No monitoring = no connection to the cloud for products and systems acquired or partnered with ADT to allow self monitoring.

You are drawing a incorrect correlation. They don’t control access to the smartthings cloud so this system is certainly able to function in a self monitored configuration. The notification app also functions from the Smartthings cloud so notifications will work for the ADT Smartthings Alarm panel.

3 Likes

The Smartthings/ADT model hub uses the SmartThings cloud and the SmartThings app, not the ADT cloud.

Connection to the ADT monitoring center ( for those paying for that service) is via a separate cellular module.

If ADT decided to discontinue the monitoring service, technically there’s no reason why Customers with the ADT model hub couldn’t continue to self monitor through the smartthings side of things The same way they can with any other smartthings model hub.

However, it is possible that there might be some corporate requirement in the event of a dissolution that the ADT hubs themselves be disabled and customers forced to change to a different model. That’s what happens in Europe, for example, if someone with the Vodafone version of the SmartThings hub discontinues their Vodafone contract.

But there’s just no telling. Technically there’s no issue, but the smartthings terms of service do allow them to drop any feature at any time and they don’t publicly announce future plans, so you’re always operating on the assumption that they will do right by their customers in order to preserve future good will. But there’s no guarantee.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying the connection and self monitoring on ST. I currently have the ST hub.

Now to try to figure out how to connect GE products to ST hub.

1 Like

If they are the officially supported Zwave models, the instructions should be on the following list:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205236370-GE-Z-Wave-Switches-and-Dimmers-and-Outlets