Is anyone using this: Evolve LCD 5 Button Contoller

I like the idea of putting this near the garage door to have it carry out Hello Actions or Scenes…?

It’s unlikely it would work for that without jumping through a lot of loops and some extra dead hardware.

Things like this are usually secondary controllers. This means they “borrow” the from main controller (the ST hub in this case) to get the list of devices on the network, but they don’t actually communicate through the hub. Instead they talk directly to the devices in question.

I have a few secondary controllers on my system… my kids each have an Intermatic Remote in their bedrooms. It’s nice that it gives them access to their specific devices, but it’s only physical devices that it connects to. You can’t, there fore, use this to send a command to the Hub to run a routine or something like that. Nor can you have it turn on/off a virtual device… physical device only.

So, what you could do is install somewhere in your house a physical z-wave switch/outlet, then have this secondary controller turn that device on. Then have a SmartApp watch that device and change modes or run a routine when it see it turned on. IT would work, but it means have another piece of hardware that does nothing but sit there and flip on and off to trigger events.

The better solution would be the AEON minimote. This is one device that DOES communicate with the Hub. Unlike the Evolve it only have 4 buttons, plus it doesn’t have an LCD display, and it’s battery powered instead of something that hardwired or that plugs in… so it isn’t quite the same as the Evolve you linked to here. But it should work very well for your intended function.

I have one mounted inside a cupboard door by my side door (velcro’d so I can pull it off to charge when needed) that controls my two garage doors and sets away or stay mode.

As Chris says, it’s likely to have the same problems as most Z-Wave controllers that folks have tried to integrate with SmartThings. Only the Aeon Minimote has official integration.

For $200+; you’re much better off buying an inexpensive tablet and using the rest of the money to figure out a practical way to power and mount it.

And run SmartTiles.

Egads! I didn’t see the price tag. Yeah, that’s a pretty steep price for this.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks guys! I ordered the Minimote just to get an idea of how remotes will integrate with Smartthings.

Believe it or not, I already have a tablet mounted to the wall next to front door. Strangely enough we go in and out the garage door a lot more. (should have seen that coming)…

Thus far, I have been using Smartthings for schedule based automation. I haven’t really integrated any type presence automation and I think that’s the next step for me. I’ve noticed the smartphone presence wasn’t always accurate. So what do you guys recommend (for devices) that will give the most accurate “presence” reporting. (I.E. are we home or away?) I’ve almost pulled the trigger on some motion sensors but none of them have great reviews…

Thanks!!

Life360 for the phone carriers and fobs for the small frys (in their backpacks).

/**

*  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 */

metadata {

definition (name: "Nexia NX1000 Button Controller", namespace: "Xpress142", author: "Xpress142")        {
        capability "Actuator"
        capability "Button"
        capability "Configuration"

}
  tiles {
	standardTile("button", "device.button", width: 2, height: 2) {
      state "default", label: " ", icon: "st.unknown.zwave.remote-controller", backgroundColor: "#ffffff"
    }

standardTile("configure", "device.configure", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
      state "configure", label:'', action:"configuration.configure", icon:"st.secondary.configure"
    }
    main "button"
    details (["button", "configure"])
  }
}

def parse(String description) {
  log.debug "Description: ${description}"

def cmd = zwave.parse(description)
  log.debug "CMD: ${cmd}"
  log.debug "Button Pressed: ${cmd.sceneNumber}"
  log.debug "Sequence Number: ${cmd.sequenceNumber}"

sendEvent(name: "button", value: "pushed", data: [buttonNumber: "${cmd.sceneNumber}"], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button ${cmd.sceneNumber} was pushed", isStateChange: true)
}