IRIS-Smartthings migration notes from a IRIS user

Thanks for your help! :sunglasses:

Sorry if my question is way bellow the required level of knowledge to be part of this community. I am an Iris user and like many out there lost regarding what to do now. I have Iris as my security sensor and a couple"rules" about lights. Nothing too fancy. My question is why should I buy the ADT smarthings versus the regular Smarthings hub. I want to monitor the house myself. Is this possible with the regular hub or this hub is only for automation? Thank you so much for any input. I have less than a month to figure this out.

I went with the standard non adt hub. I feel I can monitor the house the same as I could with iris. The standard hub does not have a pro monitoring option, which I did not use with iris.

I was thinking of going that route but it was brought to my attention that if power goes off and internet goes dead you will be unable to arm/disarm the system or even get notified. Have you thought about this. What can you tell me? Thanks.

Basically the same thing as iris. To help mitigate I have the hub and the internet router on a ups. The ups can keep both powered for over an hour. What I donā€™t have yet is a way to get a notification when the internet goes down.

1 Like

I am a recovering IRIS user myself. I also have both a ADT hub at my home, and a non ADT hub on my boat.

In my opinion, unless you are going to pay ADT for professional monitoring servives the ā€œregularā€ non ADT hub is better.

Why??? On the non ADT hub there is a security/safety component similar but more powerful than the one you had on IRIS. It works with any compatible sensor brand.

On the ADT hub the only sensors that can be part of theā€securityā€ system are ADT branded sensors.

1 Like

That was something I didnā€™t know.

Thank you for your insite. Which hub would you recommend? I see ST has more than one.

The latest is gen 3. It can be wired or wireless.

1 Like

Ive just placed an order. Samsung is out of the ā€œmultipurpose sensorsā€. The Hub and motion sensors will be shipped in 2 weeks. Hopefully I will have everything delivered before my IRIS system take its last breath. I have also ordered a Arlo Q camera. Hopefully everything will come together. Which backup UPS do you recommend? On amazon the reviews are mixed on most.

The FAQ should help. ( The thread title is a clickable link)

Power redundancy is solved using a UPS for short term power outages.

Internet connection redundancy can be achieved by having automatic fallback to a cellular device for your internet.

I use and recomment Cradlepoint gear at www.cradlepoint.com because itā€™s easy to configure for the average person and powerful enough for advanced users.

1 Like

One of the big things to think about with the ADT Smartthings hub is that it has all of the standard functions you expect from a security system while Smart Home Monitor does not. There are gaps that Smartthings with SHM has like proper Entry/Exit delays and the ability to use Keypads. The Smartthings Hub is also 100% cloud based for security. It isnā€™t just about needing internet to be notified of a event. The smartthings cloud has to be up and running as well. The app server with the SHM application has to be running. The ADT Smartthings panel is all local meaning no matter what happens outside your home you can be 100% sure the alarm side will function as a alarm.

Since I have spent time researching adding the ADT Tools app to the new platform I would never depend on either the new or old app for security. There are allot of whatifā€™s that create a reliability concern. I can tolerate that for turning on lights, but not when thinking about the saftey of my wife or daughter.

What this really comes down to is simply our tolerance of risk of reliability for security. Having the ADT Smartthings panel doesnā€™t keep you from anything with Smartthings.

SHM is getting better with some of the gaps though. I believe Samsung showed off a keypad at CES earlier this year, and there are some smartapps that help with the some of the gaps.

1 Like

As @Mavrrick58 said, the ADT model hub is designed for security, the other models are not.

Even if you intend to self monitor, there are glaring deficiencies with regard to security in the other models since they are all cloud based.

Remember that the ST cloud has historically had at least one unscheduled outage every month, plus one or two scheduled ones, and often more. See the following thread for discussion and details:

Some of the most obvious:

Without the cloud, there is no way to arm/disarm the system. None. See the forums for discussion of how much the family enjoys having the siren go off because you come home with the system in armed mode and thereā€™s no way to disarm it. :scream:

Without the cloud, there is no way to get notifications, even on your own phone. None. Even more fun, the notifications may stack up and then come all at once when the cloud comes back online. :rage:

Again, see the hub features FAQ:

FAQ: Confused by "Regular" Hub and "ADT" SmartThings Hub. Need clarification (2019) - #65 by Automated_House

If you want security features and you arenā€™t going to get the ADT hub model, you will be better off looking at other purpose-built DIY security systems like Ring, Abode, and Simplisafe. Thereā€™s a reason the security links on the ST site only take you to the ADT model.

If you donā€™t need security features, just Home automation, then the other ST hubs would make more sense than the ADT model.

@rickspfc75

JD and Maverick, those are great thoughts.

From a security standpoint of the risk you face while the cloud is down I personally see that is a extremely insignificant risk. All the stars would have to align to make it an issue.

The cloud would have to be down at the exact time a security intrusion happened, that you were at home for.

Yea. That is very true. But what if you are that 1 in a million chance. At that point the odds probably wouldnā€™t matter to you. Is it worth it then. This is really a case of plan for the worst and hope for the best right.

I know if someone broke, did something to my wife or daughter and the alarm didnā€™t work because Smartthings was down, i wouldnā€™t be able to forgive myself for that. Especially when the limitations are so well documented easy to fix with the right hardware.

1 Like

What size UPS would you buy to have an internet router, wifi, and smarthings hub run for at least 1 hour after power goes off? Average per device 12v 1.5amp. Thx in advance.

Iā€™ve always used APC ups. Dependable, long lifetime. When the battery need replaced easy to get and install.

1 Like

what size UPS would use for a modem, router and hub? Thank a lot for the help!

For these devices I have the back-ups 450.
In my server room, Iā€™ve got a couple of big ones.