IRIS-Smartthings migration notes from a IRIS user

Has anyone else noticed some devices missing from rebate process? I know devices that work with other hubs aren’t included. However, I added a few door sensors I hadn’t added yet to get reimbursed but they don’t show up in list of devices with $. Maybe they creditted devices as of some date and not honoring recent additions?

Ironically as I read this post the doorbell rang and it was the mail person delivering my prepaid IRIS debit card. As described, I had to sign for the card. I have activate it, than it gives instructions to check your balance.

I have not recieved my refund yet, but my migration to smartthings is complete.

I have 28 devices on a standard hub on my boat, and another 17 devices on a ADT panel at the house.

For the most part it was easy-peasy!

1 Like

Did you try to move the IRIS keypad?

You’re probably asking Kevin but since I was the post before him I’ll respond as well.

I haven’t moved the keypad yet since my wife likes using it and IRIS is still active for us. I’ll wait to move the door sensors, motion sensor, First Alert smoke detector, water leak detector, smart button, and siren until we get closer to IRIS shutdown. The only things I’ve moved are the BR30 Sylvania light bulbs in my ceiling fan, a keyfob, and a smart plug. It will be interesting to see if the keypad works and how it works when I get to that stage.

It doesn’t take much to move the IRIS stuff in my experience so far. I have automation set for my light bulbs and smart plug and they work with Alexa on the ADT ST side as well.

Nope, it’s not compatible.

The ADT hub can only be armed/disarmed with the single ADT keypad, in a factory supported configuration.

I think there is a community sourced option but having just been through Iris shutting down, I am not going to use anything that is not forward compatible, and factory certified.

You can also use Alexa, if you have that device, to arm/disarm via your voice, by entering your PIN at the prompt. It works but it’s not the best option.

How to use Amazon Alexa to Arm/Disarm your SmartThings ADT Security Hub

This article will tell you how to enable the SmartThings ADT Skill for Amazon Alexa, which can be used to arm and disarm your ADT Security Hub with Alexa voice commands. To learn more about this Sk…

where you can arm/disarm the security, provided you provide your correct code. Is this not true or does it not work yet?

Interesting!

Nor for me, but interesting.

I read you Iris conversion with interest. I have three homes up and working on Iris. Have converted one and will do the other two when I get there. Shame is they will go down before I will be back to them. One item I did notice to all Iris users. In all three homes I have Schlage touch screen locks. Since Gen 2 they would not report properly when manually locked or unlocked. I have written Iris time and time again to no help. Now with Smart Things the lock works perfectly. One Issue I am having if anyone has a fix. I have an NYCE tilt sensor that works properly when opening and closing. It reports and sends me a push notification. But after a while goes to sleep and says disconnected. As soon as it is opened or closed it comes back alive and reports properly 100% of the time. Has anyone has this experience?

yup, i have 3 that used to do this. SmartThings has the check in time set too low. ended up copying their handler and doubling the time.

I also just converted from IRIS to ADT-Smarthings Hub. I have installed The ADT-ST hubs in 2 houses. Since my IRIS sensors are mostly Ver.1, I only had minor problems with pairing ADT sensors. I didn’t try pairing any IRIS sensors except for my IRIS Radio Thermostats (ST compatibility pending)
Anyway, I’m having a big problem with the SmartThings APP not connecting properly with my second house ADT- ST HUB. I get “Not ready devices detected” message. Has anyone else seen this problem? Called ST support line but they were no help.

As of this afternoon my Iris to smartthings conversions are complete. I just unplugged thehub at the house, and thge one on the boat was unplugged last week.

I have 32 devices on a ADT hub at the house, including monitoring of my backup power system, and 28 devices on a standard hub on my boat.

I have stuck to my plan and only used current generation fully suported devices and have no custom, or community sourced DTH, or smart apps. I only run the current generation app, and have no plans on installing the classic app.

All in all I’m into the conversion a bit over $1200 and will soon be getting a bit over $1000 from Lowes.

I am Very happy overall with the process, and with the quality of the smartthings devices and app on my IPHONE and IPAd.

Yes, there are a couple minor issue with the app that need to be resolved over time, but no big deal. I have several automations running properly on both hubs and feel like the transition was a very smooth process.

3 Likes

I think the statement of “fully supported” is probably incorrect. You have to remember that this is a cloud solution with many ways to get data into it an out of it. Just because someone has a program that is written in groovy or java script doesn’t mean it has or doesn’t have support. One could easily argue folks that write an app in Groovy are just as likely to be supported as something written in java script on the new API’s. Also there is no way for you to know the support structure of apps on the new api or how well it will be supported. The reality is that for now you have just ham stringed yourself to limited functionality because the new api platform isn’t fully hashed out.

One thing you need to remember is that in most cases weather it is the new platform, or the old platform things will work until they don’t. I now that kind of sounds stupid but it is about the fact changes happen over time. If you expect something to always work without any change then you will disappointed. The ability for the Smartthings community to fill gaps when things break or when something doesn’t work by default the way you want it isn’t a weakness, but one of the platforms strengths that comes with its own challenges.

When you look at how programs or devices integrate to smartthings they do have to follow standards, and those standards are what will help ensure compatibility down the road between smartapps, automations, or devices.

@ksanders,
What do you use to monitor your backup power system? I’ve been looking for a solution to monitor my standby generator.

Maverrick58 I do not doubt that you are correct. I am personally shying away from anything that exclusivly runs on the old platform, or the old app, since it’s obvious that both are obsolete.I am also shying away from any non professionally supported products.

You appear to have done a great job with your ADT Tools app. If you’d like a recommendation, as a old businessman… Develope the app for the new platform and sell it, along with the promise of keeping it working as platforms change and technology matures.

You have built a “brand name” with your app, and I for one would be a lot more comfortable paying a nominal fee for it, just like the several apps I pay for on my IOS platforms.

Right now, you are giving away what people are willing to pay for as long as it includes future updates. There is a boatload of money sitting on the table.

1 Like

I am in the backup power switching business. I run and sell ASCO based products, and have the series 300G, which I have taken status points off of and use them in smartthings.

For generation I have a NFPA 110 compliant system, including two diesel generators for redundancy.

1 Like

Thanks for taking time to reply. I’m looking for a way to monitor an existing standby generator with SmartThings and hoped you’d found a simple solution.

As i have been looking at moving ADT Tools to the new platform, something like you are saying has crossed my mind.

It is mainly because of the complexity with providing the solution.

1 Like

OK, look for contact closures on your generator and or your ATS.
A hint, you can make contact closures out of a 120 volt relay. One on the generator and one on the utility if necessary. Thats what I did on the boat for shore and inverter power.

Most ATS units have a aux contact on the ATS position.

I used ecolink zwave contact closure sensors. They have a nice little screw terminal to wire to a contact closure.

1 Like

My opinion is that you are adding value, and have a marketable product.

You need to get it integrated with the new platform, and work out a way that users can just add it, sorta like home monitoring on the non ADT hubs. Pluse figure out a payment path.

I bet Samsung would be willing to help, as that is the direction it appears they are going with the platform.

I really think there is a living to be made at this stuff, if you write useful, applcations, and perhaps market DTH’s to manufacturers.

1 Like