iPhone App is a Navigation/Usability Disaster

I just added and removed a few devices from my home. I’m trying to figure out how to add new devices (lights) into existing schedules and smartapps and things on the iPhone app. It’s a disaster. It’s completely impossible to find anything anywhere in that app. I want to add a bulb to a button on my minimote - how in the world can I find that? This is awful and needs to be addressed.
I’ve spent many years as writing user procedures for some extremely complicated software systems. I have about as good of a feel for figuring these things out as anyone could possibly expect. This app is worse than worthless for people like me - how can they expect any consumer level person to use it? I’ve been a user since the Kickstarter days and it just keeps becoming a worse and worse user experience. UGH!!!

1 Like

If it is any relieve, the Android app is not much better.

ST should really start thinking about a UI that will enable the average Joe to use their services.

1 Like

It’s not intuitive, but I find the easiest way is to start with a device that I know is using the rule/app that I want to add the new device to.

1. Open the SmartThings mobile app

Two) choose My Home (the little four square icon at the bottom of the page)

Three) choose things. This will bring up a list of all your devices.

1. choose the old device that is using the rule. In this case, I choose my mini mote.

2. this opens the details page for that device. Choose the smart apps tab.

1. this will list all the smart apps that are associated with this device. Choose the one that you want to add the new device to.

Seven) now you should be in the UI for that smartapp. Step through it, and you can add the new device.

Like I said, not intuitive, but it should work. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Man this helps.

1 Like