iOS 7.1 -- will Mobile Presence Improve?

(Steve S) #1

@urman - sorry to tag you, but you seem to know a lot about this topic. Was just wondering if now that the new iOS 7.1 is out will we see better (fixed!) mobile presence or will there still need to be another ST app update?

Thanks!

(Jeff DeWolfe) #2

Mine seems to be updating a lot quicker and accurately. I’m hoping the answer is yes!

(Kyle LeNeau) #3

Hello,

I am an iOS developer at SmartThings. iOS 7.1 should improve the reliability of mobile presence without an App update. However to account for the issue in iOS 7.1 we’ve added some double checking logic in the current App Store versions. The next release 1.5.4 will remove that logic since we have been seeing more harm then good with it.

To be clear we suspect that the iOS 7.1 update included an “under the cover” to how Apple handle’s the location information. In iOS 7.0 they made the change to say when a user swipes to remove an app from running then that app will no longer receive location notifications from the core API’s. iOS 6 had the opposite effect, when users quit an app or the system pushes and app out of memory then the app can continue to receive region location changes.

There was a petition headed up by the guys at Life360 to get Apple to change their logic back to how it was prior to iOS 7.0. Apple listened and changed it for iOS 7.1. However, it is not well documented in their release notes. This link/article talked about the change that was being petitioned: here.

Of course mobile presence remains a top priority for both mobile platforms and is something that we will continue to refine and improve.

Thanks,
Kyle

(Jeff DeWolfe) #4

That’s awesome. Thanks for the update Kyle! Glad to see you are lurking on the forums too!

(Andrew Urman) #5

what kyle said

(Steve S) #6

@kleneau - thank you so much for responding here! I’m glad that it’s your number 1 priority - because it’s been the most unreliable part of ST for me. I have a lot of issues with mobile presence and I really hope you guys are squashing them. What seems to happen to me (and my wife) is that our iPhones will just stop “checking in”. And the only way to get it back is to open the app. Entering low signal areas seems to make it worse. Maybe this is (was) that ios was killing the app to get memory back and thus it would stop checking. Anyway, thank you for checking in here. I hope you keep us posted on changes/improvements!

(Steve S) #7

@kleneau

To be clear we suspect that the iOS 7.1 update included an “under the cover” to how Apple handle’s the location information. In iOS 7.0 they made the change to say when a user swipes to remove an app from running then that app will no longer receive location notifications from the core API’s. iOS 6 had the opposite effect, when users quit an app or the system pushes and app out of memory then the app can continue to receive region location changes.

Are apps like IFTTT doing something different than ST? The reason I ask is I actually use an IFTTT geofence trigger to get around ST failing to check in and it is solid.

(Kyle LeNeau) #8

So I have actually never used IFTT’s location triggers since the SmartThings app works great for my wife and I. I did just check them out and set up a trigger for the office so I can understand what they are doing. At first glance it looks like they aren’t doing anything to special and just using standard region crossing like SmartThings is doing. In the next version of the iOS app 1.5.4 we have removed some logic in the region monitoring that I suspect is causing the issue you are seeing (having to open the app to update). Along with this change and iOS 7.1 we are hoping to have better results.

(Steve S) #9

Ok - so now I have to ask… when do expect 1.5.4 to hit the AppStore?

:slight_smile:

Thanks again!

(Andrew Urman) #10

So I always had an issue with mobile presence because the reception in my area isn’t spot on, but after Kyles latest updates and iOS 7.1 my mobile presence has been rockin!!

(Steve S) #11

@urman - that’s great! SO, @kleneau – when do the rest of us get it??? :slight_smile:

(Steve S) #12

<crickets>

(esung) #13

Hope the next update comes soon. In our case mp has gotten slightly worse than 7.0, making my wife an intruder and scaring her with loud alert because st didn’t see her phone, or didn’t feel her presence so to speak.

(Jeff DeWolfe) #14

Looks like an update will be released today! http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/ios-version-1-5-4-is-here/

(Emily Allen) #15

1.5.4 should be available now. I’d love to hear if mobile presence performs better for you going forward.

(esung) #16

Mobile presence has been much more stable since 1.5.4!

(Jeff DeWolfe) #17

I would agree. No issues as of yet!

(Taryn Brice Rowland) #18

I’m jealous. It stopped working altogether for me once I updated. Am I the only one?

(Ajf) #19

Before the update, 2 of my family’s phones worked great and 2 didn’t. Now they have swapped places, the 2 that worked don’t work now and visa versa. How do you get things back in sync? Delete and re-install the ST app on the phones that aren’t working?

(esung) #20

hmm so mobile presence is still an ongoing battle. it has improved greatly in my case, but obviously there are people for whom the situation has reversed.

I think mobile presence is vital component of the entire ST experience and it cannot afford to have false positives. I like having overview and control over internet of things at home, but more so not having to think about it all the time. The beauty of ST should be that once you set things up to your liking the show should run autopilot, and mobile presence is the key trigger that enables the whole machine. Hope it gets perfected before other functionality is added.