iOS 2.3.5 - Release Notes

I do, but just the device, not the manager app

1 Like

Hey Everyone, with tonesto7’s post and a few more we were able to track down the root issue. The 2.3.5 had some large under the cover changes for networking both on the client and the server side. What’s happening is that a service in the cloud requesting the data for the mobile app is timing out at 20 seconds compared to the mobile clients timeout of 60 seconds. None of your SmartApps are at risk and we have a good understanding of the fix. This will be a simple cloud change. I am not sure the timing of the change yet but we have alerted the team members responsible for the service. Thanks for the patience.

4 Likes

But why would a simple listing of installed smart apps take anything close to twenty seconds?!

2 Likes

I have been asking this question for a year. This call should take less than 1/2 second. It is why I hat the ST app as I click on that section of the app and I have to wait, wait, wait, wait…

2 Likes

Me too - that list barely ever changes… caching seems common sense… with some last modified parameter kept and sent by the client - value matches, quick response and no update. No match, read the list afresh, client retains new list and new “last modified”. Sounds simple and the natural thing to do…

1 Like
1 Like

Didn’t @tonesto7 and @RBoy report all of these same issues being experienced with this release during beta testing earlier in the week?

So are these same issues related to the Android users reporting heavy battery drain and the ST App constantly to crashing? Or is that another story in itself?

1 Like

iOS beta 2.3.5 was released 4 days ago, on May 1st. I don’t think it was meant to make it to production yet?

Android 2.3.6 targets the top crashes and battery drain. If you’re still experiencing those, please let support know so we can track impacted users.

1 Like

@Brad_ST,

v2.3.6 still junk on Android.

Total battery drain… didn’t make it to noon today before it went below 10%

I’m one of the fewer people that didn’t have any issues related to battery or app crashing with 2.3.5 on Android so I’m not installing the new update (2.3.6) I see in the play store right now. Not without some sort of full write up about what the issues we’re on both iOS and Android and what the complete fixes are. The stupid Read Me for SmartThings in the play store still has the notes for 2.3.1 and the improvements around that version, even though you scroll down and can see version 2.3.5. I will pass for now as “addresses top crashes and battery drain” is not what I consider detailed info. Is someone from SmartThings going to provide us some deeper details about this latest ST debacle?

2 Likes

Thank you. I am glad you have identified the potential issue for us iOS users. Although, it seems silly that a listing of Smartapps would be subjected to such timeouts as mentioned above.

DITTO!!!

After numerous complaints about the small font size on Android, now we have the same REGRESSION on iOS.

PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS

1 Like

Tagging @Jim

1 Like

Wait, there’s text on that tile too?! (lol)

1 Like

My things page failed to load after I updated to the new version of the mobile app. Are you saying that anytime a page in the mobile app takes more than 20 seconds to load, this error will occur? I’m not using nst manager.

Does this mean it’s the number of smartapps/devices that might trigger the problem, or is it specific smartapps that might include cloud to cloud integrations that could introduce additional delay?

I just mention that because if it’s the number of smartapps, that’s a different customer issue than if it’s a specific smartapp. Person A might remove smartapp X and solve the problem for themselves while person B removing the same smart app would still have the problem because the issue would be the number of smart apps remaining.

1 Like

So once again I should avoid updating. Great track record guys.

How will we know when they fix the server side issue they claim is causing this?

Who knows. I haven’t had a repeat of my things page failing to load. But they’re still kinda vague about how this could be related to a particular smartapp, so YMMV.