Integration with Steelseries?

Hello,

having a steelseries setup (keyboard, mouse and mousepad) all with RGB capabilities and all of them linked through the Steelseries GG engine, I was wondering if it was possible (if it doesn’t already exist) to code something that takes information from the Hub and sends it to these devices.

Steelseries has already set in place a developer portal through which it’s possible to develop apps that integrate with other applications (one example that comes to mind is Discord, you can have different buttons on the keyboard light up based on who’s talking and also see their discord username on the little LED screen) and games (such as Minecraft and League of Legends), so I would imagine that there’s possibilities for making things work together.
For example, it would be nice to have the RGB on the keyboard, mousepad and mouse sync with Digital RGB Strips whenever something happens in a game, or to have the temperature of the room you’re in displayed through the LED Screen on the keyboard through a temperature sensor.

I hope this is possible, it would certainly be cool I think!
Thanks in advance

I doubt if it will be an edge driver. Edge drivers are for devices which are directly connected to a smartthings hub via radio communications.

The steelseries is for devices which are connected to a gaming PC and the integration is to a program running on that PC. It’s just a completely different kind of integration.

Oh, I see. And do you reckon something like this is possible with the new platform (so without using anything groovy-related) and if so, where should I look into?

I won’t say it’s impossible, but it’s not very likely.

My guess is that the most straightforward way would be to use mosquitto as an MQTT broker under Windows or Linux (whichever your computer currently uses) and then write something in python to integrate with the steelseries API. But it’s going to be quite a bit of coding, and It’s just going to depend on some particular person having the same equipment and being interested in doing it for themselves and then interested in sharing it.

And my guess is that most people using that kind of gaming set up are not going to want to dedicate CPU resources to monitoring a Home Automation system, as it might interfere with the latency of their gaming. That is, it’s not something that you would only turn on when you aren’t gaming.

And if they do want an integration, it’s probably going to be with home assistant not smartthings.

So like I said, not impossible, but I don’t think it’s very likely either. :thinking:

It would be WAY easier to just set up a separate LED strip in the room that does work with smartthings and use that for the kind of notifications you were imagining. :sunglasses:

Well, I’m very open to doing this myself, I don’t know Python but I’ve been wanting to learn it for a while (mostly for other stuff in my degree (or PhD… I don’t know the equivalent to a 5-year degree in Italy ^^"), but I mean, at some point I will learn it) and I’m quite comfortable with coding in more than a programming language, but I’m not sure from where I’d start.

Even if turns out to be useless, it’d be pretty satisfying to see working and it would be a fun challenge, plus I love integrating as much as I can together, where for example I could even press a button on my keyboard to turn lights on, even if I’m not gaming. That’d be another interesting feature!
Or, get a warning through the mousepad when I forgot the lights on could be another… the list goes on ^^"

1 Like

I’d start by checking the steelseries Community to see if anybody’s using MQTT inputs. :thinking:

I looked online for a while and it seems that all there is to it is publishing a JSON to the screen via HTTP, but some did also use an MQTT Broker.

For example, here this person made so that their S10 phone would post its battery level whenever it changed to display it on the screen, and they even say they control some of their light in the room and other appliances, so it looks like someone tried venturing in this direction (Though probably through home assistant… but that’s just a guess).

I’ll do some more thorough research later, but maybe this can help?