Integrating Sonoff Mini with ST. My findings

The external switch i use is the standard wall light switch. I don’t think a momentary switch would work. You can use thin wire since S1 & S2 on the mini is only 3.3volts.

You can install the companion smartapp from the bottom of the step by step post. It is not a instant status update but rather 1 minute polling. Knowing that the status will be up to date in 1 minute is fine with me.

Thanks, I installed the smart app. I’ll give it a try.

Smartapp worked great. A little delay not much.

Hello,
I finally got my additional mini’s. I went through the process of loading Tasmota 8.1.0 and now it is on my home network, and I can control the mini (& connected light) via the web interface. Unfortunately, when I added it to ST - it did NOT create the mini223L (my label) switch device using the Tasmota-Power device handler (DH). I was hoping it had something to do with the device id/mac address. I am not getting any errors from the Tasmota DH, so I am at a loss again. Extremely frustrating. I don’t understand why it isn’t spawning the child device after I set the ip address. I did update the template on the mini and I see the the module 0 in the DH.

Any ideas? How do I turn on debug or trace in the DH? Thanks, Glenn

I know my child didn’t show up right away. I came back in a couple hours and they were there.z don’t know why.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you can’t get it working. Try setting up on smart things before you apply the mini template.

There was just a new release claiming it works with tasmota and smartthings. It might be worth a try. Let us know if it works.

1 Like

Other than making sure you selected tasmota for the device, I can’t recommend anything else because it produces the parent and child device immediately for me in my SmartThings app.
My latest issue is I recently installed three sonoff minis over the last couple days and found the IP address once they were powered. I added the device in SmartThings and was able to turn them on and off with the app. While putting my breaker box cover back on I knocked out a ton of breakers, so basically simulating a power outage.
Later, while using voice command “basement off” it didn’t seem to know what I was talking about. The sonoff minis were no longer responsive in the app. The IP address I had put in the device handler was no longer able to be pulled up on the web with a toggle interface.
With the fing app I was able to see three different IP addresses were assigned to the sonoff mini after I had installed them in SmartThings. I tediously hunted the three new IP addresses in Fing, edited them in SmartThings devices and it worked again. Has anyone had a new IP address assigned on the same Wi-Fi network after a power outage? I don’t know if I’ll be able to find a reason why that happened but I hope it’s not common. The last tidbit as a detail I can throw in, the other two sonoff mini switches I have to turn lights on and off were unaffected by this power outage. Before I found out the sonoff mini IP addresses had been changed on three of them, the other two I have toggled on and off just fine.

It has to be assigned with static IP address.

I appreciate your expedient reply. I am still working on researching it. I will google what a static IP is and find out how it differentiates with the IP address that I see when the sonoff mini powers up.

While I continue to understand this more, I keep thinking of these events…When I knocked out half the breakers to the house, the hub and sonoff mini’s lost power. While I was trying to figure out why the app could not control the new lights, it could control the sonoff mini’s I’d placed 2 weeks ago.
Is it possible that once the sonoff mini is powered consistently and long enough, if there was a power loss, the same ip address would remain when power came back on?

Without static IP address, it may be assigned with a different IP address on reboot/restart.

A static IP address ensures it always get the same IP address on reboot/restart.

Ok, I am for this. Will you offer how to do this? I didn’t get to where I am with getting tasmota flashed to these devices without help, and I am for getting this resolved so I don’t have to updated the IP address every time it resets.

Which router are you using?
Maybe you can try googling “how to assign static IP addresses on [ROUTER BRAND model] router”

I have a Samsung SmartThings Hub. Thanks, I will Google how to set a static IP address for Samsung SmartThings Hub soon, I must rest for now.

Thanks Hawks, I tried using the Tasmota (Connect). Installed the SmartApp, added to ST mobile, and set the date time format and polling interval and then attempted to add my mini. I selected sonoff basic because the sonoff mini wasn’t an option, and named my mini. Clicked next - got a blank screen within ST. Only options are to click save or < (back). I clicked save and hit an error.

! Error-bad state. Unable to complete page configuration. x

I didn’t get to the point where I could define the ip address of the mini. I tried different device types, but all had the same result.

hongtat - I see you are on this thread too- any idea why I wasn’t able to config my sonoff mini via Tasmota (Connect) SmartApp?

Thank you for your help!

Moddy, you can set your static IP addresses in your wireless device. The Cisco device makes it really really easy. All you need to do is login into your wireless router, click on the device on your network map, and select DHCP reservation. From that point on that device’s macaddr will always be associated to the same IP address.

@retluoc Have you added all the device handlers to “My Device Handlers”?

I made the following FAQ for Tasmota devices and would welcome any input

Thanks, I’m on it. Haven’t been home for a couple of days. If I’m able to do this though your instructions had terms I wouldn’t have expected to see when changing a static IP address. Will get to it when I get home. This will be valuable to not have to change the IP address in the device each time I lose power.

Hi hongtat,
What do you mean by all? I do have your Tasmota (Connect) smartapp loaded. I also still have Brett’s generic tasmota and the tasmota-power DH’s. Are there other DH’s I need to load & publish?

Thanks.