Inovelli dual channel outlet issues

By the way, I’m using the “alternate” Inovelli DTH for the outdoor plug. However, it doesn’t really work in the new app. I can see the status of the MC, but it won’t control it. I can’t control it in SharpTools, either, but I can control it in the classic app. Weird. Per someone else’s suggestion, I might re-try the “MCD” device handler to see how that goes. I also wasn’t successful in canceling my two separate outdoor plugs from Amazon because I canceled too late, but if I get this working well enough I can always send them back (or use them if I want to be able to control the device from the new app). Thanks.

When you added the plug, did you wind up with child devices? You added the plug and then changed to the MCD DTH, right? If so, did you get add’l child devices added? I now have four, two are renamed from the original Inovelli devices added when I scanned for a new device and added all three offered, and now two that were created when I switched to the MCD DTH (see image). When you added the device back to SmartThings, did you select all three plugs offered, of just the MC one? Can you see in the new ST app the two child devices? I can only see the original two I created. I think when I tried to delete child devices previously, it deleted everything, which is why I started havinig to re-add the entire device to SmartThings. Thanks.

2020-10-02_15-53-12

I deleted both child switches from the IDE. I deleted the main switch from the APP.

I then pressed the button on the plug some magic number (3? 5?) of times to make it discoverable. Did a Scan Nearby in the new App to add it back in. It was added as a

The child devices just showed up

Yeah, when mine was added, it picked a different device handler I guess. It wasn’t the MCD one that you got. My lights aren’t working in the smart lighting SmartThings app so I’m going to have to try again.

OK, success. I deleted the old child devices from the IDE. That left me with the Outlet 1 & 2 like you have. However, I kept thinking I’d have three devices in the app, but there’s only one. Even so, when I press it, I then get three options: MC, CH1, and CH2. And they work! I was also concerned that I couldn’t use Smart Lighting because I didn’t have a separate device for CH1 and CH2, but they show up in Smart Lighting! Yay.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you noticed the edited post, but I wrote an article on a method that has worked for myself many times.

2 Likes

Eric,

I tried to follow your directions. Everything works until I go to delete the child accounts. That then deletes the parent as well.

here is what I have now and it works so I am not going to delete the old child devices.

1 Like

@erocm1231 I can confirm the same results. When I try to delete the old child devices it deletes the entire inovelli device (parent).

@5spot @dfurst are you clicking on the child device and then deleting them from there?

@erocm1231 Yes I was selecting into the child device. After playing around I think I found a fix. In the child device I edited the device type from “Child Switch Health” to “Child Switch”. I then saved (updated). Then I was able to delete the Child device successfully on both Child devices. It seems to be working fine now.

Same worked for me. I I changed it from “Child Switch Health” to “Child Switch” and saved my changes, I could then delete them and not delete the parent.

Tested and works!

1 Like

@dfurst @5spot I confirmed that if I first change the device handler to the MCD version and then try to delete the child devices that the MCD version creates then it does delete the parent. If I don’t change it to the MCD version and delete the child devices then the parent is not deleted.

I will try this again. I had used the alternate device before and it didn’t seem to work but maybe it’s been updated or I installed it incorrectly somehow. if it doesn’t work, I can always go back to the MCD device handler. I would much rather have three devices on my main screen of the smart things app then just one, although it does work, so I shouldn’t complain too much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure if it was the fingerprint or because I had previously had chosen the MCD handler, but every time I removed and added the inovelli back it would default to the MCD handler automatically. So I had no choice.

1 Like

That is good to know, yours must have a different fingerprint than mine does because it doesn’t automatically use the MCD handler.

I will add a note in the KB knowledgebase that you may need to change the child device type from “Child Switch Health” to “Child Switch” before you delete them if the MCD is automatically chosen.

1 Like

@erocm1231, I’ve followed everything in the KB article but the last step to simply update the parent device does not create 2 children device/channels. It doesn’t specify if you need to change the DTH. I’ve left it with the alternate. I did try to update it to the default inovelli DTH but then it defaults to the MCD, which is sort of ok bc THEN it creates the children. The only issue is that the children channels are nested in the device attributes instead of separate devices in ST. I need separate bc I’m trying to use alexa to address channels separately.

Eric,

I wanted to let you know that I finally tried this again. At first, I didn’t think it worked because I didn’t have separate devices in the ST app for Outlets 1 and 2, but then I realized that they were in the “No room assigned” room. I guess I thought they’d show up in my Outdoor room automatically. Anyway, the installation didn’t work exactly as described in your article. I wound up with 4 child devices at first. But, I deleted them all (after changing the old ones from Child Health Device to Child Device) and then updated the main device, which re-created the correct child devices. Thanks.

1 Like

That is strange. After I delete the incorrect child devices (with the alternate device handler installed) all I have to do is click “Edit” for the parent device, scroll down to the bottom, and then hit update. This creates the new child devices for me. I don’t have to change anything on the page after I click “Edit” because the alternate device handler was selected in a previous step.

That’s what I did initially. But in your screenshot, it shows the “non-alternate” device handler selected by default after the last step. Should the alternate device handler stick in order to create child devices that show as separate devices in the app?

I removed the child devices and changed to using the “Z-Wave Dual Switch” (built in device so no custom handler required) and it will generate a “Z-Wave Binary Switch Endpoint”. Both outlets work perfectly.