Ikea Tradfri Remote Control

@KCxD150 @ijhammo This is exactly what I said will happen. Once you pair this way, ALL button presses go to the BULB not the HUB. You can’t program any of the buttons at that point, but you gain the Ikea functionality while keeping your bulb accessible to SmartThings.

Alternatively you can skip this part and use various smartapps in SmartThings (like Smart Lighting, ABC, or WebCoRE) to program the individual button presses. The downsides of this is that it will be slower, you won’t be able to press and hold to change brightness, and it won’t run locally (the DH for the Ikea remotes is cloud-based) so if you have no internet the button won’t work.

@pavichokche, can we compare firmware versions of the remotes?

I have multiple (3 pieces) 5 button remotes paired to ST and to the bulb as well by holding the pair button 10+ seconds. The remote still controls anything in ST side, and it controls the bulbs as well.
The only remote which behaves the way you explained in my square shaped on/off/dimmer switches/remotes.

@pavichokche sorry i misread you original post. When you paired the 5 button remote were you able to change the bulb colour with the left and right buttons? For me these did not work and I could not change the bulb colour (dim up and down did work)

the firmware version of my 5 button remote is 23014631 - I am on Controller Version 2.1.9-5

@GSzabados My remotes are on the newest firmware since I had them originally paired to a tradfri hub. So the firmware is 23014631.
What you’re describing seemingly makes no sense…how can the remote be sending signals to two separate places? Also I get the behaviour I describe both with my square on/off dimmers and the 5-button remote.
@ijhammo I have my 5-button remote paired directly to their regular 800lm dimmable bulbs (fixed temperature), so the side buttons don’t do anything just like Ikea intended. Perhaps you can just change the bulb temperature from the app?

Ok, my remotes have 12223573. And it explains well. The old firmware uses the ZLL profile and that allows TouchLink pairing to the bulb. The new firmware 2.3.014 uses the HA profile and Zigbee 3.0. The square on/off dimmer uses by default the HA profile as they were released together with the sockets what is a HA profile device.

https://ww8.ikea.com/ikeahomesmart/releasenotes/releasenotes.html

@pavichokche, if you don’t believe me how is it working, I can make a video for you. :wink:

1 Like

No it’s okay I believe you. That’s pretty cool. Can you test one thing?
I have encountered a limitation with my remotes - while they are paired to the hub, only ONE remote can be directly paired to bulbs. I’m unable to ‘clone’ one remote to another, the way you do in the Tradfri ecosystem, in order to have two remotes control the same bulb. Can you do that with your remotes?

I have to check. I might have an extra remote laying around. All the others are in constant use and already set up.

That’s okay. By the way, how do you have your remotes configured? The middle button directly toggles the bulb(s), the top/bottom directly change the brightness (while holding) but then you get to program actions for the left and right through ST?

Exactly as you said, up and down does step by step when pressed and dim and brighten continuously when held. Left and right programmed through ABC Advanced Button Controller. But any button can be programmed if it doesn’t matter to do two things. Like middle to turn on off something else as well.

How weird. I hope that doesn’t drain the battery any faster, sending signals to two places at once.

Thats’ weird - I am on the same firmware as @GSzabados but I cant seem to get the left and right buttons to do anything. press or hold of those two buttons does not get registered in the app

I am really new to Smartthings and have not even looked at the IDE yet…

1 Like

Check your numbers again, you are on the same firmware as @pavichokche

ah sorry - so are you saying the old firmware is needed for this to work?

@GSzabados If the ADT/v1 do not support this, does that also mean the Nvidia Shield dongle doesn’t either? I’m not getting any button events on my TRADRFI switches and after reading this thread it’s looking like that’s the cause. TIA for your help.

You are right. The Nvidia is not supporting that neither as I can remember. But there is a slight chance that those dongles/boxes will receive in the future some newer firmwares. But it has not been really confirmed neither by SmartThings or Nvidia.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. This was what finally pushed me toward Home Assistant. It’s a huge learning curve but it’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. I can confirm that with Home Assistant these Tradfri devices to work.

2 Likes

Hi friends, in conclusion and latest update: does Ikea Tradfri 5 button remote control functions in Smarthings ?

Yes totally?, Yes at most of it?, No at most of it ?, Not at all ?; Can it be paired natural and easy to ST hub or you need to do some techie hack tricks ?. Does it need an Ikea Hub ?.. Does it need an DTH ?

In the New App Ikea brand is listed also 2 devices: Ikea Button and Ikea Dimmer…

Thanks in advance sharing your knowledge and experience

Pd. Im planning purchase 2 and I do not want buy a nightmare…

You have SmartThings, which can be a nightmare on it’s own… :wink:

Sorry for the early morning sarcasm. I woke up to no Automations working, which led to finding almost all of my Zigbee devices offline. Rebooting the “house” seems to have taken care of things, so I’m passing the time here while waiting for stuff to come back and work again.

2 Likes

5 buttons, total 9 press/hold. The middle button hold function is not working. Cloud based DH, if Internet goes off, you loose all functions.

2 Likes