I-Blinds is back on Kickstarter

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #1

I-Blinds is back on kick starter this year. They were unable to reach the target last year and lets hope they get it now.
This is one of the most cost effective solutions to just tilt your blinds.

(Matt) #2

please bring it on soon

(Brian Diehl) #3

I’ll back it… We’ll see where it goes.

EDIT: Backed for a pair. I’ll try to get my living room done (2 blinds). I’ll have to buy some 2 inch blinds though as I currently have 1 inchers.

(Dave N) #4

Yeah, I’ve been waiting too. They just need to get the word out to the community better. At least we have a second chance.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #5

This project failed to reach its funding goal the first time around (which isn’t too unusual… similar result occurred with FlipFlic). I think they had a competitor with a much cheaper option running at the same time.

BTW: Watch for FlipFlic launching new design “soon” … hmmm… they might even overlap dates.
(Oh… full disclosure: I’m associated with FlipFlic for ZigBee / smart home integration duties).

###Edit:
Looks like FlipFlic has an official countdown of 13.5 days from … now… posted on their website.
Ummm… Guess that’s Monday March 14th? (Whew … ahead of "Ides of March!).

(Benji) #6

I’ve never used Kickstarter before, can I order multiples of the ‘three pack’ bundle?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

It’s up to the Project … sometimes in the details they will say “Pick a Pledge Level and then add on $x per unit and we’ll confirm the order after the campaign is closed”.

But be very, very, very careful: Most “gadget” Kickstarters are late, then have bugs. And, a non-trivial number are “very late” (WigWag is +2.5 years) or never deliver and there is no recourse.

It is better to support for a minimal amount (i.e., 1 unit) and then get more at retail. The slight price increase and possible extra wait time is worth the savings in future frustration.

(Benji) #8

Yep, it’s the reason why I’ve never backed anything before, but I want iBlinds to succeed this time and I have to pledge to help that happen then so be it.

Plus I like saving money and not only will it save me over a hundred bucks, but these start off way cheaper than the competition anyway, so I need them to succeed.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #9

That’s the problem… you’re proceeding from a false premise.

The fact that they are offering “Rewards” (not sales … Kickstarter is not a store) at “way cheaper than competition” significantly increases their odds of running into problems or outright failure. InstaCube failed due to running out of funds; i.e., they under charged for their Rewards. Still haven’t delivered to Backers. Outright fraud.

Kickstarter’s ought to be charging more, not less than retail and competitors, because they should be trying to earn surplus funds for ongoing operations. Well… fact is that many of them are actually test-marketing in order to give potential investors some sales data, but that also makes the delivery estimates subject to a lot of leeway.

(Brian Diehl) #10

The best part about Kickstarter is that the project has to be funded for the money to be taken. Not the case over on IndieGoGo. They can set up projects to fund regardless of whether the target is reached or not.

So if a project ends up doing miserably for some reason, you’re not out anything if it doesn’t hit target.

But I can confirm that projects do tend to launch late. Out of all the projects I have backed on Kickstarter, only I think 2 have launched on time. Some projects that didn’t were not even tech related (some minimalist footwear), and some are going through re-designs like the connected pillow pad Chrona.

I currently have 4 backed projects that are beyond the expected fulfillment date. And one that is now in the month of its fulfillment.

However, I still enjoy the process of finding cool and innovative projects and seeing the process for bringing them to market (a lot of project teams are very detailed and share a lot of awesome info with backers).

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #11

Kickstarter is definitely a risk. You have to take the risk if you want to take advantage. I have backed 6 projects on Kickstarter until now. So far 4 of them have deivered and the max delay I had was 3 months beyond the promised date. The other 2 are slated for later this year and their updates say that they are on track, but it will slip by alteast a month for sure. It is true that the initial products will have bugs, but the good thing is that they will mostly be addressed quickly as well. But you need to have the apetite of addressing issues consistently. While choosing products I try to do some research to determine the feasibility of it happening. You can always contact the company and get details to understand their backing and their credibility.

(Benji) #12

I’d have hope that since @eric1500 is a part of this forum that he wouldn’t do us over although I know that doesn’t mean anything.

Additionally I hope that since his last attempt he’s already been working on refining the device and/or the process of getting the device to market, be it working out who is going to be the best supply or other methods.

Plus I have a predisposition for Z-Wave devices and companies that choose Z-Wave (yay!) over ZigBee (boo!)

(Austin Pritchett) #13

It’s really cool! However my house has the 1" blinds, not looking to change them. However it’d be cool to take advantage of the twisting rod.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #14

That’s irrelevant, actually, because any non-idiot Project Creator will set their goal amount as low as possible.

There are no negative consequences to setting a low Goal amount… In my opinion, Kickstarter should limit the maximum funding (i.e., pre-sales) to 2x the Goal Amount, thus ensuring:

(a) Project Creators don’t get in over their heads with a project that has a scale 5x or 10x or 100x what they describe.

and

(b) Project Creators are incentivized to set higher Goal amounts in order to maximize the upper end of the funding limit, and thus are more likely to have to think very carefully about not using too low or too high Goals.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #15

Z-Wave has significant high licensing fees which are prohibitive to a startup, especially when there are quite a large (and growing) selection of ZigBee compatible smart home systems / hubs.

Also, with Z-Wave, the manufacturer has to make two (?) different versions for different frequencies internationally.

I presume I-Blinds is aware of the license requirements.

(FlipFlic has not ruled out Z-Wave as a future feature.)

(Matt) #16

the thing I like about Z Wave is the fact that there is one maker of the chips so you get consistent results. Zigbee while cheaper could end up having more issues not due to the technology behind it but due to them trying too hard to pinch pennies and go too cheap.

(Matt) #17

ok I have never done a kickstarter before. If I contribute and they dont get their goal I dont pay but if they hit their goal they get my money and if they never deliver I am just out the cash right?

(Brian Diehl) #18

Correct.

They are required to do everything possible to bring the product to life and fulfill the project or refund money if there is still money available (such as they determined they could not get the certification required to do the project, so they didn’t even get to production stages so they may not have spent a significant amount of money to that point)

(Matt) #19

ok honestly I am not seeing an upside to backing. If they have a good idea and a business plan why wouldn’t they just get a bank to loan the startup?

(Brian Diehl) #20

I agree, however they typically don’t want to set a goal so low that it looks like they’re only after 5 thousand dollars for a larger project.
I think the 45,000 mark for this project is a good target (and it’s doing quite well on day 1!). It seems like a reasonable amount to request to be able to get production and certification, packaging, etc. The prototype was already working and it’s a more realistic timetable with 9 months until potential delivery compared to the 4 months his first go around.

I’m not sure I agree about setting the maximum funding to 2x the goal amount because certain projects really don’t have the same type of deliverables to users that are based on the different pledge levels.