Hue Lights Controlled by Ghosts? They Turn Off Every Night at 10pm. HELP!

Thanks for the thread links. There is a lot of good info in there that I’ll check out.

So, I’ve been going through the various apps disabling, removing, etc, using the Classic app. I will see what kind of impact this has on things tomorrow night.

However, I also have a bunch of routines there that are not visible in the STSC app, as you said. Are routines called something else in the new app? Are they somehow able to be disabled there? Or does disabling only work for automations in STSC?

I do have some Smart Lighting rules that I see in the new appp but do t see any way of disabling those. Am I missing something there?

Thanks.

I hope you have fixed your problems by now. My experience with using both the Classis App and the new App causes nothing but problems. I would stick to the new App, especially because one day Samsung is going to trash it.

Yes! I was able to resolve my issue!! While I cannot say what, exactly, was the cause, I did get it cleared up.

In the Hue app, I deleted all rooms that I had created. I left the devices there. Just removed the rooms.

Then, in the Alexa app, I deleted ALL of the Hue bulbs, scenes, routines, etc. I didn’t immediately rediscover them. That night, no lights turned on. Overnight, the devices were auto discovered in Alexa. I added the devices back in my Alexa routines, groups, etc.

It’s been two or theee days since that and no issues. I still don’t know if it was a Hue issue, an Alexa issue or a combination but it is cleared!

Many thanks to both you and JD Roberts. Your insight, thoughts and ideas were tremendously helpful.

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t think I was much help, but I’m glad to hear you resolved the problem. :sunglasses:

Oh no… so I bought a new Philips Hie ceiling light which switches itself on at 10.00pm!
I tried to read this whole thread but it sounds like the issue was with Alexa.

I had Philips Hie bulbs for 5 years and the new addiction came last week. I don’t have Alexa, I have an Apple HomePod But I don’t have any routines apart from my morning lights at 7am.

I’m consider because this is a brand new light that doesn’t appear in any routines or automations but it somehow switches itself on at exactly 10.00…

I’d desperately prefer to avoid deleting rooms and redoing things from scratch.
Has anyone had the same problem with a brand new Philips Hue light?

Thanks
Greg

1. are you using the SmartThings Classic app or the new SmartThings app?
  2. if new app, have you clicked on menu (3 bars in the upper left of the screen) and looked in the Automations section? In your automations and any possible quick controls at the bottom of the screen?
  3. if using the Classic app, open the device and look in the Smartapps tab. Doesn’t show everything from new app but might lead you to any possible routines, pistons or smart lighting rules.
  4. checked for any possible routines in the hue app?

Anyway, that is a start.

This may complicate things but I’ve just realised that this is a Samsung forum. I don’t have this app… This was the only online forum which I could find around this exact same issue but understand if it might be the wrong place to ask.

If it helps, I only use the Philips Hue app. I have morning automations in my master bedroom but none in the room where I have the new light. I checked the recipes and that light is not on them. I don’t have any automations at 10.00pm. I haven’t made ANY changes to anything for years except for adding the new troublesome ceiling lamp last weekend. I Do have Apple Home app but no automations or recipes on there at all - I only use Hue.

I see other comments mentioned Alexa, I don’t have Alexa.

So the only thing I’ve tried to change was to rename the ceiling lamp via the Hue app but last night, 10.00pm comes and the light still came on…

And not sure if it helps, when I first noticed the light being on, it was happening at exactly 9.00 pm. I thought I was forgetting to switch it off. Around Wednesday I realised it can’t be me. So on Wednesday it happened at 9.00pm but since then it’s 10.00pm…

Since renaming didn’t work, I’ll try deleting the lamp and re-adding it to Hue and see what happens tonight.

Ok so I’ve deleting the light and re-added it and now it switches on at 9pm. Could it be faulty? This is driving me mad…

I’m sure that’s very frustrating, but this forum is for people who are using the Samsung smartthings home automation platform, so all of the questions and answers are in that context. There really isn’t any way we can help you.

You should contact Hue support and they should be able to help you figure it out. The contact information is at the bottom of the following page

Thanks, I was hoping that with the issue being so similar and so unusual, someone on here could help. For what it’s worth, in case it helps someone else who also lands on this forum, this is what I tried and something fixed the issue. Unfortunately I can’t say which exact solution did the trick but no harm trying:

1. Reset the bulb/lamp using the dimmer switch (hold the Philips Hue dimmer switch no further than 4 inches away from the bulb/lamp and press and hold On+Off buttons simultaneously until the light starts flashing). After resetting, set it up from fresh.

2. In the Hue app, go to your bridge and go to ‘Clean up’. If any of the automations or routines is corrupted, clean up should sort it.

3. If Hue app notifies you that your room setup needs syncing, don’t sync it. Delete the room from the Apple Home app, rename it in your Hue app and then sync it from the Hue app under a new room name.

Hope this helps someone!

1 Like

Hey! So I’m late to the party but I just stumbled on this post since my wife was concerned someone might have hacked into our smart home. She was up at 3 am with our baby, had the light in the baby’s room dimmed to 20%, and she was just about to use her phone to turn off the light, but it mysteriously turned off by itself without her doing anything. Spooky!

Anyways, I did a little investigating: I looked in the SmartThings app and saw that the light was dimmed a few times within a span of 3 minutes and then turned off, so it seemed like it faded to darkness. I found this thread and saw someone referenced https://account.meethue.com/ and I checked it out and saw that Alexa had accessed my Hue account at the same time the lights turned off. Looked in the Alexa app and boom, saw Alexa “had a Hunch” that everyone was sleeping, so she decided to turn off the lights.

I forgot about Alexa’s Hunch feature, so I think I’m just going to turn that off to prevent that from happening again. Hope this helps someone in the future.

1 Like