Hue Bridge and Edge

Hello dear community,

I have added a Hue Bridge over LAN in Smartthings. This is displayed in the IDE as LAN Hue Bridge. Then several lamps are connected to the HueBridge, which is displayed in the IDE with LAN Hue …

Will an edge driver be needed for the bridge and the integration of the bridge and the lamps via LAN in the future?

Thanks for the answer

My guess (just a guess) Is that any LAN option specific to Smartthings for the hue bridge will be replaced by a Matter integration as soon as matter support is available from SmartThings. That would just make sense in terms of future trajectory. So I think long-term that will be the answer.

Short term, hopefully someone else knows and will chime in. :thinking:

1 Like

Here’s what I’ve seen posted regarding the official integration. There are a few other posts in that thread to the same effect - Edge driver is in the works with no announced ETA.

1 Like

There is an Edge driver in the works from ST that should replace your current DTH in the background. I have also been developing an alternative Edge driver for Hue that is currently in alpha testing and will support non-light features like motion sensors, zones, scenes, etc.

2 Likes

So if i’m understanding correctly, all “Linked Services” in the ST app that send events from a server (i.e. Hue, Meross, Google Nest, IFTTT, Arlo, Leviton, Honeywell, Alexa, Google Assistant, etc… etc… etc…) are not going to work once the deprecation of Groovy happens? Are they serious?!?

@nayelyz can you confirm? This would break almost everyone’s setup if true…

I don’t know officially, so hopefully a staff member will respond, but I have heard almost the opposite of what you just said. And I have been told this by smartthings staff both through the normal support channels and in private conversations.

What I have been told is that anything which currently shows up as “placeholder” in the IDE is already using the new architecture and should not be affected by the end of the groovy cloud. That specifically includes Meross, Lutron, Arlo, and Leviton WiFi, which were brands that I asked about. Same with the Hue cloud to cloud integration. The hue LAN integration is being rewritten as an Edge Driver, but while they hope to have it ready in time, it’s not here yet. But you could just use the cloud cloud integration for a little while if you needed to.

IFTTT is different altogether, because it doesn’t show up as a device at all. It is a smartapp, current version written in groovy, which is why the integration will be affected. IFTTT staff Have said they are working on a version for the new platform, and they hope to have it ready in time. But who knows?

The voice assistant integrations have already been rewritten for the new platform, that integration itself isn’t going to change. The issue is in the management of edge Drivers. Because right now edge drivers don’t work correctly for multi component devices. That is, if you have a power strip or a combo device like the Zooz fan/light switch, the current ST/voice assistant Edge Driver architecture doesn’t expose the individual pieces. There’s a workaround with virtual switches, but that takes extra work and most people won’t know it exists. so this one concerns me a lot.

So while the news isn’t good, I don’t think it’s quite as bad as you might have thought. Most cloud/cloud integrations should be fine, particularly the ones that show as “placeholder“ in the IDE. And that was most of what was on your list. :thinking:

We should probably take any further discussion of this topic to the announcement thread, since it is mostly off-topic here.

The End of Groovy Has Arrived

2 Likes

As you mention, it would be something that affects a lot of people, in that case, there would be an announcement about that, in the app and here.

Having this in mind:

This is correct, you can double-check which devices use a DTH by getting its details from the API.
Just list the devices and those that have the properties of deviceTypeId or "type":"DTH".
On this FAQ page, you can also find more details about changes to devices and which will no longer be supported.