Hub Firmware Upgrade 16.13 BROKE Functionality

Just coming in here, but my first thought would be to check the IFTTT integration before doing anything with echo.

So:

One) create a new Do button in IFTTT that just unlocks the lock in The SmartThings channel/service. ( this is the simplest troubleshooting test, because there is no “if,” there is just a “that.”)

If you haven’t use the Ifttt DO Button before, then you will have to download that app.

“Button” in this context just means a widget that will appear on your phone, it’s not a physical button.

1. if you are able to select your lock for the DO Button and pressing the DO Button on your phone causes the lock to unlock, then you know the basic IFTTT functionality has not been affected.

If you are not able to get the door to unlock when you press the Do button on your phone, or if you are not able to create a DO Button applet for the lock to begin with, then you know the issue is either with IFTTT or with the SmartThings service/channel in IFTTT.

A separate note about Alexa and Locks

For those who are confused about Alexa and locks, I would note that the OP says they have been using IFTTT. Those who have only been using the SmartThings integration may not be familiar with how this works.

If you use the echo IFTTT service/channel as the If, there is then no Alexa restriction on what devices you can trigger as the “that.” (There may be individual restrictions by the That service/channel, but SmartThings doesn’t have one.)

So you’ve always been able to say “Alexa, trigger lock the front door” or “Alexa, trigger good night” or any other phrase you wanted and control a lock through the SmartThings IFTTT channel/service, as long as you used the “trigger” phrasing and set it up through the echo IFTTT channel rather than the Echo/SmartThings direct integration.

I would also note that several other community members have reported weird things happening with their echo integration in the last few days. So anything is possible.

2 Likes

Ignore the “garage door” - sorry — LOCK
we can easily create a VS (on / off button tile) and then uth with Alexa. You will be all set to turn on / turn off lock

Hi Andrea - You are correct with the use case. I could use the app, yes—and I do most other times. The use case is very specific to when I’m in bed, warm, and too lazy to get up to check the lock. I’d considered auto-lock, and had used it for awhile. But it became REALLY annoying to go outside for a period of time, only to have to enter the code to bet back in. I know, “First world problems.” :slight_smile:

I have to admit I thought IFTTT was the virtual switch. The reason I use IFTTT was because of familiarity. I was familiar with it, and it seemed to do the job. I do use IFTTT for quite a few things (door logging, triggering lights to come one when I’ve set Alexa up to wake me with an alarm, etc.).

JDRoberts – Yeah, that’s what first brought me to the conclusion something had gone awry. I had a “Do Button” to lock the door. I pressed it on my iPhone, I had the usual feedback, but the lock didn’t react. I’ll remove the buttons and re-add. If the buttons aren’t working, the trigger in Alexa won’t work, I’d imagine. Until I’d determined that IFTTT was likely the bad actor, this hadn’t occurred to me.

Let me walk through this … it is NOT hard and I think you will be happy !

Do you know how to create a virtual switch in the IDE ? Have you ever opened and been in your ide? Just not sure where to start :slight_smile: