Schlage Connect and Alexa

After wifely permission, I finally got to order a Schlage Connect lock today to go with our growing list of smart home gadgets. I see that it has Alexa integration as well through smartthings.

Then I started thinking about this. Our Echo is in the living room, along with the front door in question. Say we leave the window open a crack while we run to the store. Couldn’t someone just say “Alexa, unlock front door” and be in?

Is there a way to password-protect the unlock command, like having to say “Alexa, unlock front door 1-2-3-4” or something?

Granted, in our year plus of having smartthings and alexa, and no one’s stood outside turning on and off our lights. We’re typically paranoid enough to keep the front windows closed unless we’re home, but it’s just something I was thinking about.

Alexa already requires a PIN for the Unlock Door command.

2 Likes

Yep. Instructions on how that works with SmartThings in the official knowledgebase article:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000723086-How-to-enable-secure-unlocking-for-Amazon-Alexa

2 Likes

perfect, thanks! I hadn’t read into it fully since i don’t even have the lock in my possession yet.

I’m trying to do the same thing, but it looks like the Alexa app (iOS) has changed, and I can’t seem to make this work. There’s no Smart Home item in the menu, though tapping Devices gets you to what’s probably the same list. When I tap on my lock, however, there’s no Edit to get to the Unlock by Voice.

Any tips on how to get to the Unlock by Voice switch?

For the record, the Schlage Connect lock otherwise appears to be connected properly. I can say “Alexa, lock the front door” and it does. I just can’t unlock it.