Hub Firmware Beta Group | Local scene execution is ready for testing

Local Scene Execution for Hub Connected Devices

The SmartThings Development team is ready to begin the first phase of local scene execution on a hub for current enrollees of the Hub Firmware Beta Group on Thursday, June 30. The second phase will be available soon and support routines that execute locally when all associated scenes are also running locally.

Getting Started

With this beta release, you can start testing this new feature by creating a new scene using the SmartThings app and then running it.

This feature is enabled using the Location for your hub. If the Location is changed, the feature will not be automatically enabled at this time.

Scenes are eligible for local execution when all associated Hub Connected Devices can execute locally using Edge drivers and a limited set of DTH devices. They include Zigbee, Z-Wave, and LAN devices as well as other Hub Connected Devices using Drivers. Many of the existing scenes have already been examined for eligibility, and if they are not enabled for local execution, you will need to recreate or modify them.

Developers

You can use the SmartThings app or the Scenes tutorial to create, view, and execute scenes. The second tutorial shows you how to verify that the execution location is “Local”.

Feel free to start a thread or reply to existing threads related to local scene executions in the SmartThings Community Developers Programs forum if you have questions or feedback.

Customers

This announcement is primarily targeted at developers and advanced users. If you have any feedback, please feel free to respond to one of the tutorials or create a new thread in the community forums.

Hub Targets

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)
  • Aeotec Smart Home Hub
4 Likes

Woah. This seems like a pretty big deal. Been waiting for local scenes for years!

3 Likes

Cool! How would one test the local flag returned from the API for a scene to be true without a routine?

1 Like

How do I check if my location is enrolled in the beta? Last I heard, hub firmware beta was set by Hub ID.

1 Like

In this tutorial, there’s a sample of the request to the API to see if the scene is running locally, is that what you mean?

Not quite. I get that the API can tell me whether a scene is running locally. But how do I actually test that? If I disconnect my hub from the internet it can no longer receive API or mobile app commands to run. So how do I trigger a scene to run if my hub doesn’t have internet to validate it is indeed running locally?

I think the easiest way to do it is to create a routine that calls the scene. It should also run locally because as you mention, the app and API don’t support local connection.
I’ll confirm with the team.

We used the list of hub IDs for the current enrollees of the Hub Firmware Beta Group and manually enabled this feature for its current Location. If you were enrolled in this group as of yesterday, this feature is enabled. It’s a manual process to verify that your Location was enabled correctly.

1 Like

The “local routine with scenes” feature is the second phase which will be available soon.

1 Like

Jimmy im thinking you’ll neea button backed with a local DTH or driver as the trigger to test it.

The feature will improve performance and reduce latency when performing 1 or more actions in a scene. In order to test this feature, you could create a scene to turn on multiple lights and then observe a smaller delay between each action.

1 Like

Perhaps, for now, a Smart Lighting routine triggered by time or a local sensor?

Yes, I know, Smart Lighting is going away someday. But that day has not arrived. Neither has the ability for Routines to properly do a motion sensor controlled light in a single Routine.

This is actually a good point: will local scenes work with local Groovy SmartApps like SmartLighting or only local Rules API automations like routines? (I would guess only the latter since it old va new architecture).

Yeah, once phase 2 comes around where local sc see work with local Rules API/routines. In the meantime, it looks like the only true way to test it is loose observations.

Which is fine, it’s a phased beta rollout. Was just making sure there wasn’t another way.

Hi Jerry @nett checking in to see if the second phase of local scenes is implemented yet…

1 Like

I just opened ST from my Samsung TV and saw small house icon in my scene buttons. Does that mean they are run locally?

1 Like

Yes, local routines with scenes will be available in one of the upcoming beta releases.

4 Likes

The SmartThings App on my phone shows the local icon (small house) for routines but not scenes. Could you provide a screenshot or any more details?

My TV looks like this.

Ha, I forgot about those icons on the scenes on the TV app. I’m not sure what they mean, but it’s a slightly different icon than the one used to indicate a local automation. The local automation icon is a solid colored house with a check mark. So basically a check mark instead of a door.