How to update Smartthings with Updated Activity Names from Logitech Harmony?

I have three Harmony hubs and previously had a number of activities with the same, or similar, names (e.g. Watch Basic Cable, Watch Tivo, Watch Fire TV, etc) - since SmartThings doesn’t show the related hub for an activity, I’ve updated my Activity names in the Harmony app (Watch Family Room Tivo, Watch Playroom Tivo).

Rerunning the ‘Logitech Harmony (Connect)’ SmartApp Shows the new names in the Smart App, but not in my Things. Adding a new Thing doesn’t show anything either. I then tried to remove the Thing with the old Activity name in the hopes that it would show up again with the right name - but now that Activity is totally gone and I cannot get it to show up.

What’s the solution here? Thanks!

1 Like

Once it is discovered by the Logitech Harmon Connect app, go to the Things tab and click on add a device and it should show there, then click save. Anyway, that is how it works for me, if yours doesn’t, contact support…
https://support.smartthings.com

My experience has been that I had to delete all of the Harmony Activities and Connect and then go through the process again. Just wouldn’t find the new Hub(s) or Activities until I started over. Thrice. :confused:

What I have done was to leave the names of the Activities as they were and added the activities of one hub at a time (to prevent confusion) Once the Activities are displayed as Things in ST app, I rename the Things. (E.g. “Watch Cable” gets renamed to “Watch Bedroom Cable” in case of the bedroom hub. Once I’ve renamed the bedroom activities, I add and rename the activities of the second hub etc. etc.
This way you don’t have the somewhat silly activity name “Watch Bedroom Cable” on the bedroom remote, but can keep the simple “Watch Cable” activity name on that remote.

I’ve came across the same problem also. After a lot of trial and error I’ve found that:

• Under the Harmony App, open the menu and select “Harmony Setup”, followed by “Sync”.
  • The same settings is also available on the remote under “settings”, “sync remote”

After syncing, Smartthings will recognize the renamed or added devices.

For those who have Amazon Echo, you will need to remove your old Harmony Activities in Echo or it will get confused when more than one activity by the same name is in the system.

All activities in Echo gets recognized as scenes. You’ll find all your Harmony activities listed here. If you don’t see it, hit the “+” icon on the top right, select “Add Device” and “Other”, then choose to “discover device”. Be sure to remove duplicates when showing the list of scenes. Here you can rename the Harmony Activity names to something easier to recognized by Alexa voice commands also.

Good luck!

1 Like

To add to this, I’ve found that it keeps things simpler when allowing the [Harmony Activity] to remain when ST populates the activities. Alexa ignores the […] and you just need to say what’s in front of the […].