How to Turn on at Dusk and off at a Certain Time

Now the lights are turning off as per the app but they’re not turning on at Sunset.

I tested both sunset and sunrise and neither work even though I verified my GPS location was correct. However the app works to turn on and off based on time. For now, I am using IFTTT instead.

Bump

I think I got it. I’ll know in a couple of hours, fingers crossed :wink:

Still not working.

According to the support team, this is a known issue.

Thanks Gus, it would be nice if they mentioned that here. It’s a real deal killer for me because my outdoor lights were the only thing automated (using a cheap Home Settings controller) before I bought SmartThings. It’s odd because the Dusk/Dawn app works with another light in my home.

@AJF
What are the switches it IS working for and IS NOT working for? I have been trying them with wemo switches but I should try them with the Jasco switches. I will set it up for my Jasco switches and report back her tonight.

Both the switch that works and the one that doesn’t are GE/Jasco 65609. The ones that aren’t working are older though, they have a green status light, and no air gap switch. I have another switch that is older too, so I’ll try the app on that one tonight to see if that one works.

Well none of my existing switches are turning on via the app.

Gus what switches are you using?

I have 4 Wemo and 2 Jasco 45703.

Neither of them are working to turn on or off at sunrise/sunset.

Since support said it is a known issue, I deleted the sunrise/sunset settings and I am using IFTTT for now to turn on at sunset and off at 10 PM.

Another thing I noticed about the Wemo outlets is the time it takes to sync.

I just tested again and here are my observations (this applies to Wemo switches only):
In the dashboard, I tap the icon for my kitchen lights and the lights turned on immediately. The icon changes to green and displays the text “Turning On” inside the green circle however underneath it displays “off”.

Then I switch to the Things display and the Kitchen icon is white and shows OFF in the center of it even though the lights are still on in my kitchen.

I cannot use the ST app (neither Dashboard nor Things) to control the lights; tapping either of the icons does nothing. I have to open the Wemo app on my iPhone to turn the lights off. After I turn them off in Wemo, the ST app correctly displays them as off.

The same thing happens regardless if I use the Dashboard or the Things tiles.

There seems to be some conflict or delay in the app and then I can’t control the switches from ST.

The Jasco switches don’t seem to have this issue.

I hope this is not too rambling or confusing.

Got it, yea that’s a buggy mess with the Wemo stuff, but I think they were added pretty recently, so they are still working out the bugs. But the Jasco/GE switches should be a bit more solid by now. FYI: just to be sure it wasn’t my existing Zwave switches that were the problem, I replaced them with brand new ones yesterday and they still didn’t turn an at Sunset. They’re working on it.

Gus is your sunrise/sunset working yet? I’m still using IFTTT to turn on, because the ST apps doesn’t work. Yet, the ST app will turn them off at a set time of 2:30 AM. I also have 1 other light that I programmed a while back with the sunset/sunrise app which works without a problem. They know about it but I still haven’t received a fix.

I assumed there needed to be an app update and there hasn’t been one in a while so I didn’t even try.

Just to be clear, the Dashboard setup does work for “turn on/off at a particular time” but does not work for “turn on/off at Sunrise/Sunset”.

I just set it up to turn on one of my wemo switches at sunset so I will know later on this evening if it works.

I can’t seem to get this to work on the V2 hub. There is no setting “Turn on a schedule”. If you select the light to turn on at Sunset the only option is to select turn off at sunrise. But what if I want to turn it off at 11:00?

In the newest version of the app, you can just set up two different lighting automations. One turns it on at sunset. The other turns it off at 11 PM.

There are probably a lot of other different ways to do this but that one will definitely work.

I am also having trouble triggering events with the Sunset command. I looked in my account on the website hub management (api.graph.smartthings.com) but could not find the latitude/longitude information you suggested. Could you describe, again, exactly where that information is located?

Is there a way to turn a light on (say 1 hour after sunset) then off after 20 minutes?
Without using the same app twice.

For example, when I’m away I want my bathroom light to come on for 20 minutes say, 7 times a week, I don’t want to have 14 different schedules!