How to properly configure in-wall dimmer with motion sensor

Got a configuration issue I’m trying to solve with SmartThings:

I’m using one of those Zigbee in-wall dimmers:

EcoDim 05 Smart Dimmer

The dimmer shows up in the app like a regular light source with adjustable brightness values.

I’m now trying to add a motion sensor to the mix, so that the light automatically turns on at night when motion is detected.

Problem is, the motion detector now overwrites any manual input I make via the wall switch. Is there a way to configure such a setup, that any manual changes takes priority over the motion sensor routine?

Not sure if I’ve made myself clear enough, so a quick example:

Current situation:
I enter the room.
Motion is detected and the light is turned on with a brightness level of 40%.
I use the rotary dial on the in-wall switch to to rise the brightness level to 100%.
The motion detector senses motion and overwrites the brightness back down to 40%.

Intended behavior:
I enter the room.
Motion is detected and the light is turned on with a brightness level of 40%.
I use the rotary dial on the in-wall switch to to rise the brightness level to 100%.
Brightness remains at manually adjusted level of 100% - motion sensor routine is temporally disables until light is manually switched off.

@TOMillr,
You can add in the IF part of the automation when motion is detected AND the light (dimmer) is off.
So when it is ON, the automation will not be activated

Ok, but how about such an automation:

Motion is detected.
Light is turned on at brightness level XYZ
Light is turned off after XYZ interval with no motion detected.

Is there a way to disable such an automation when I either manually turn on the light or change the brightness level?

Are You do this with smart lighting smartapp (1 automation) or with 2 automations in app?

@TOMillr,

You can do two automations as this example:
This should work the way you want

Thanks for all the effort. But I still don’t really understand the logic behind the two routines. I’ll try to explain my thought process:

1. The “on” routine turns on the light at a brightness of 40%, when motion is detected and the light is off.

That means, when I manually adjust the brightness of the light the routine will not lower the brightness back down to 40% because the light is already turned on and the routine want be activated again. That much I understand.

1. But how about the second “off” routine. Would this routine turn off the light after 1 minute of not detecting any motion regardless if I manually turned on the light or changed the brightness?

My idea would be, that whenever I manually modified the light (turned it on, changed the brightness), the “off” routine should not apply until I manually switch off the light.

Hi Tom,
Sorry, I will try to express myself as clearly as I can, English is not my language :wink:

2nd Automation:

• “IF” movement is not detected for X time “AND” the light is “on” at 40% level.
  • “THEN” Turn off light

This second routine will only turn off the light when it detects no movement for X time and the light is “on” and 40% level, that is, as it was turned “on” with automation 1.

If you manually modify the level, it will not turn it off until you manually turn switch off or manually restore level to 40% and it stops detecting motion for X time.

This should work as you wish
Regards