How to pair Ikea Fyrtur blinds?

@Olds442 Thank you for figuring this out. I followed your instructions and got the remote added on the smartthings app. I tried to program the button, but does not work. The remote shows as ‘standby’ in the smartthing app. I programmed the up and down buttons but the remote will not do anything when i press it. Is there any more steps?

No, that was all it took for me. Yes the buttons always have the status of “Standby”
When they are pressed they “wake up” and trigger Smartthings to do the needed action.

I use them to trigger individual items, several items and scenes all work fine.

Weird, when i touch the standby it does nothing

You can’t control the remote from the app, so yes, when you hit standby in the app, it will do nothing.

I can’t get this to work for me. Any tips to setting max extension?

Never mind, figured it out. It was a double tap on the bottom button the blind. I thought it was a hold for both buttons like pairing mode. Got me all screwed up.

Did you get the remote to work after you had the blinds paired to smarthings app? I just can’t get both to work. For me either the blinds either works with the remote or the app, once I pair the blinds with the app the remote stops working

You have to pair the remote to the smartthings hub and then set it up in the app.

Yes. Pair the blind with your hub. Then pair the remote. Once both are paired, set the automation for the remote. The remote won’t work exactly like IKEA says.

Will give it a try and report back.

Hey @ccm2114 I recently got my Ikea blinds and I was able to connect the blinds no problem and they work perfectly and I was able to get the remote in the Smartthings app as well but I can’t get them to do anything when buttons are pressed even after I set the automations in the app to open and close the blinds. Any advice? What am I missing?

I got nothing. In fact, either the batteries suck or the remote sucks because mine keep unpairing and need new batteries. I stopped using them.

Pair Ikea Blinds with Smarthings and still use the 2 Button Remote to open and close your blinds.
The problem is that the blinds cannot be paired with Smarthings AND the remote; the blinds can only handle one pairing. No doubt, you have tried in different order, several times, to pair the two: first smart things, then the remote, or first the remote and then Smartthings, all to no avail. If you could only choose Smartthings or the remote – you should choose Smartthings. The benefit of paring the blinds with Smartthings is that you can schedule them to open and close, you can control them from the app from anywhere, you can have other devices control the blinds through smartthings, you can have Alexa and Google Home control the blinds.
After paring you blinds with Smartthings, you can use the following steps to program the remote control that comes with the blinds to open and close the blinds. You will not be able to use long presses on the remote or double presses on the remote with the blinds: only open and close.
Here is what you should do:

1. Pair the blinds with Smartthings.
    This means you do nothing with the remote or the signal repeater that come with the blinds at this point.
    a. Open Smarththings App on phone or tablet.
    b. Click the Device button in the App.
    c. Click the + button and choose Add device.
    d. On the Add Device window, Type IKEA into the search box and press the Magnifying Glass to search.
    e. Click the IKEA device type.
    f. Click Window Treatment.
    g. Click Supported Devices, then Click FYRTUR Blinds.
    STOP – Go to your blinds and press the two buttons on the blinds and hold them down at the same time until the white LED starts flashing (this is a factory reset).
    h. GO BACK TO THE APP. On the Let’s Get Started Window, click Start. Smartthings should find the blinds and allow you to add them as a new device.
  2. Add the Ikea Remote to Smarthings as a device. This step seems to work best if you are in the same room as your Smartthings hub. Every time that I tried to do this from another room it failed.
    a. Go to the room with your Smartthings hub.
    b. Plug the Ikea Signal Repeater into a power outlet nearby.
    c. Remove the back from the Ikea remote.
    d. Open Smarththings App on phone or tablet.
    e. Click the Device button in the App.
    f. Click the + button and choose Add device.
    g. On the Add Device window, Type IKEA into the search box and press the Magnifying Glass to search.
    h. Click to select the IKEA device type.
    i. Click Remote.
    j. Click Supported Devices, then click IKEA Button. On the Let’s Get Started Window, click Start.
    STOP – On the back of the Remote click the pairing button 4 times (you should see the red LED start blinking on the back of the remote). While the remote is blinking, hold it next to the signal repeater. You should see the light on the front of the signal repeater start to fade and then get brighter a few times. If you do not see it fade and get brighter, then press the back of the remote another 4 times and hold it closer to the signal repeater. ( I pressed it four times and just placed it on top of the signal repeater while I worked on the app. You can also try holding the paring button down for about 10 seconds until you see the change in the LED status.)
  3. The Smartthings app should find the remote as a new device. Once the remote is added to Smartthings, go on to Automate an action for when the remote button is pressed. In Smartthings, create an Automation for the Up Press on the remote and the Down Press on the remote.
    a. From the Smarththings App on phone or tablet, click the Automation button at the bottom of the window.
    b. Find the IKEA Remote device that you added in step 2, and click on it to edit it.
    c. Under the Button 1 section, click the Pressed section.
    d. Click the + button and choose Control Device.
    e. Find the Ikea Blinds that you want to control and select them, and then click Next.
    f. Click to select the Shade level that you want or the Preset position that you want and then click Done. Repeat the same steps for Button 2.
    g. When finished, click Save. You should now be able to control the opening and closing of the blinds with the remote.
4 Likes

Am I understanding correctly that if I pair a set of Fyrtur shades with smartthings:

• The fyrtur remote will no longer pair with the shades (only as a device in smartthings)
  • The only controls will be all the way up and all the way down? no command to stop? no presets?

While I want everything in my smartthings ecosystem, these seem like functions that would be desireable. Would I be better off getting a TRÅDFRI gateway? Is there a way to have smartthings “talk” to the gateway? I hate introducing more steps, but want the most functionality. Thanks in advance

Than you very much for the detailed post!
Followed your instructions and everything paired fine, but buttons on the remote do not respond. (yes, did step3, als tried to control other devices with them but no luck)
I can control the blinds using the ST app but the virtual button in the app is not working :frowning:
Buttons do react since if you press them the battery status will show change in the app it self.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Installed the blinds today and got them quickly paired with the app, then set the lower limit. The hub found and paired the remote, but following either of the detailed tutorials above isn’t working. I’d do some more playing around, but the app is really unstable in iOS 15.5 (19F5047e) and keeps crashing. A delete and reload sometimes fixes it for a few hours, or sometimes doesn’t help at all.

Alexa, OTOH, saw the blinds right away, so at least I can control them by voice and with Alexa Routines. But sometimes ya just want a switch.

Check out this thread. There is a Edge driver by @veonua for Fyrtur blinds.

This is an excellent post - you describe the process very well. I had deuces the same for my 2 blinds and remotes BUT, nothing is working because the blind thing in Smarthings has no controls, just says Connected, and they don’t show up in a list of devices which can be triggered. Any ideas why? I used the IKEA window treatment device type.

If you are patient enough follow here

at the end I managed to get it working but ended up ditching the Ikea remotes and got zigbee buttons since those Ikea remotes love eat battery every couple days.

I have had the same experience as everyone else where all three steps were performed but the remote still wouldn’t work. What I ended up doing was deleting the remote from the ST app, removing the battery, clicking the buttons a few times to make sure it was fully drained and then redoing steps 2 and 3. It seems like there was some residual connection to the blinds on the remote or just needed a type of reboot. Everything worked fine after that. Hope this helps!

I found this suggestion here:

Pair Ikea Fyrtur Remote with Fyrtur Blinds? - Devices & Integrations - SmartThings Community