How to create routines that are date based?

Hello, I have been moving everything over from webcore, and I am struggling a little bit with date based routines.

For example, I have a virtual outlet for different holidays. if that Virtual Outlet is on, then the lights would be different colors. For example, November is green light a veteran. When V-GreenLightVeteran is on, then the exterior lights (Philips Hue) turn green, unless motion is detected then everything switches to bright white so we can see.

I had it so that V-GreenLightVeteran would turn on for the month of November. Now, that I am moving everything over into Smartthings and using the routines, I am not seeing an option to utilize months, or dates, just times.

@Mariano_Colmenarejo has a Edge Driver called Virtual Appliance that allows you to generate a Virtual Calendar that you can use in you automations. It will show up on routines and allows you to pick a start and end date. It works well.

2 Likes

Thank you for this. I am going to have to read up on the edge drivers and how to download those, as this is all new to me. I was so invested in webcore! :frowning:

Here’s a good place to start:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for this Paul. I am reading through now, I am not seeing a way to download this from the “hub”. I am sure that I am missing something.

Click on this link and it will take you to the install process.

THANK YOU!!! Where did you go to see that?

It was in the 1st link I posted.

1 Like

You don’t download edge drivers from the hub. You download them to the hub. And the way that you do that is by following a link that the channel owner will give you. Once you do that, you will see a screen where you can first subscribe to the channel and then select the specific drivers that you want downloaded to your hub.

If the channel is open to anyone, the driver link will usually be in the first post of their author thread here.

If they are limiting subscriptions for whatever reason, they will send you the link privately.

The process is usually pretty quick, but it can take as much as 12 hours. See the edge FAQ that I already gave you for how to determine whether the driver has been downloaded yet.

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

You can also manage that specific animation directly in Philips Hue instead. They have an option to turn lights on for motion and then return to their previous state, which would be green in your case. If you go that route, I have an Edge driver for Hue (lights, rooms, scenes, devices) and ST has a platform driver for the lights.

1 Like