How do you organize your devices? Naming conventions? (2018)

I tend to name things by function and use punctuation prefixes to sort them. The list is sorted using standard ASCII order, although all letters are treated as lower case when sorting. Device names I want at the top of the list start with period and underscore as those characters don’t impact readability as much, in my opinion. I use tilde for things I want at the bottom of the list.

1 Like

I never thought I’d use voice control but now that I have Siri/Homepod control of everything, I had to change my naming scheme to something human speakable (what would my wife say?). ‘Turn on the Lights - Dining Room’ doesn’t work as well as ‘Turn on the Dining Room Lights’

I have 139 devices now so my naming scheme change was pretty painful via the ST app

2 Likes

Can you share your piston for the master switch? I did the same with my X10 stargate system but looking for examples that will reset the room on interaction with SmartThings/WebCoRE.

1 Like

Here you go.

I then use a simple Piston to shut everything off.

How did you attach icon’s to the room’s? In the app it only seems to like images from the camera or gallery.

@RonV42 - search for room name and icon in google to find icons for those rooms on your phone. Select the ones you like and download them directly to your phone. It is best if they are in a format that supports transparency and I prefer black and white. Once they are on your phone, go to the room, edit it and select the icon from your gallery. Sometimes the icons appear all back in the gallery preview but with some trial and error I was able to pick the one I wanted. You have to do this only once as it must be caching them somewhere on a remote system given they pop back up on new devices or any device connected to my ST system.

2 Likes

2020 Update

After the Alexa and Google home integrations were updated in June 2020, any special characters in a device name, including apostrophes, will now be stripped out before the device is exposed to the voice assistant. This can lead to a lot of frustration if you don’t know that it’s going to happen. :disappointed_relieved:

If you have the right kind of mind, you can train yourself to say “Michael lamp“ instead of “Michael’s lamp“ but not everyone can do that.

Otherwise you’ll just have to come up with a name you can remember that the voice assistants will accept.