How do I know who’s is at home and who’s away?

This is great. Can you please elaborate on following:

Finally, add an instance of the Everyone’s Present SmartApp that simply uses the real John Doe’s phone presence to set the SPS presence you just created.

2 Likes

He means if you have 3 people in your house you will need to add 3 separate versions of the app if you want to individually see who’s present or away.

2 Likes

I.m assuming he used Eric Robert’s everyone’s presnece SmartApp. In your IDE, create a this new smart app:

After you’ve created/saved/published for me go into your device, go to SmartApps, click the “+” to Add SmartApp, scroll down (probably under : Custom) until you see the Everyone’s Presence smart app. For Presence Sensors, select your phone, for Simulated Presence Sensor select the simulated presence sensor that you created using John’s instructions. Next, name it, select Done. Now you’ll have a device on your home screen, showing updated presence. Do this for every phone, presence that you want to add. Very neat! Thank you John!

3 Likes

My family uses Life360 and I was able to integrate it into the classic app. It transferred to the new app and we’re all now “devices” in the system. I have a special room called “people” so I can quickly see who’s present or not. I edited my automations to check device status instead of presence and they all work (mostly) as expected. Best part, my family doesn’t have to have a copy of smartthings running on their phones; only Life360, which they already use.

HOWEVER, as much as I’d like to suggest Pagemakers try this, I don’t see any way of integrating Life360 using the new app. Does anyone know of a way to get Life360 using just the new app and/or the IDE interface? Is there a list of steps to take, or some kind of hack to try? Do we need to lobby Life360 for an official integration?

Correct.

It’s a terrible kludge we have to use because Samsung decided not to show presence sensors in the new app.

1 Like

I did link directly to the Everyone’s Presence thread where the code (and Github integration) are, so that people would go there for the SmartApp.

1 Like

Seems to be working so-so for me.

My partner left home 40 minutes ago but their phone is still showing as ‘present’. If I check history there is no indication of them leaving.

However when we went out over the weekend it worked.

iPhone location settings are set to ‘always’ and background refresh is on.

In the last 2-3 years of using the classic app I had no problems at all.

1 Like

Hmmm. maybe it’s related to this… However, it was fine with my location earlier today.

I’ve found the desktop page of the app doesn’t always show the correct presence.

I have 2 devices in the app and both of them are away from home but 1 hasn’t updated to show “not present”. However, if I look in the app history page both apps can be seen as leaving 10 minutes ago.

Not sure if this is a bug in the script or the iPhone app itself.

I want to be a smart A** and respond to your question: “How do I know who’s is at home and who’s away?”.

This way: pick up your phone and call each person to ask if they are home… sense smartthings present senors automation are hit and miss right now, numerous issues. Hehehhe

I am just going to wait a week or so before I drive back in and try to get mine working again. I have had enough head banging, for now. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m getting about 90% success with the system now. With the classic app it was more like 99.5%

1 Like

I’ve followed the process on my phone and successfully setup a simulated presence sensor for me. But on my wife’s phone, I’ve installed the new app, signed in her with account and can see all our Smartthings devices. But when I go into settings and enable the “Get location from this phone” setting it toggles on and then immediately off again. I’ve given the ST app full location permissions all the time and disabled battery optimisation for it. I can’t figure out why it’s behaving like that. Any ideas?

That was happening a few weeks ago when presence in the new app was completely busted. But they fixed something on their end. You might just report that to support.

Yea I found all the posts about that - weirdly though, on my Galaxy S8 it worked perfectly fine first time. On my wife’s OnePlus 7t Pro, it’s giving me this issue. And both devices have the same version of the new ST app installed.

Anyway, will raise with support…

FWIW, the new app’s presence on my own phone last reported something for me 3 days ago. It’s still got “Get location from this phone” checked. It’s just not reporting me leaving or arriving (something I’ve done 3 times since then). The new app’s presence is still working on my wife’s phone. We both have identical Galaxy S8s.

I’ve given up relaying upon it.

If you happen to have a ubiquiti access point and controller (Yes, I realise that might be a bit niche) then this is working well for me [RELEASE] Unifi Presence Sensor

1 Like

Hmm I always had issues with presence in the Classic app but thought it might work with the new app but clearly too much to ask for! What are you using for presence then?

There is very definite weirdness in Android location reporting. I’m seeing it using my Pixel 2 running Android 11.

Both the Nest app and SmartThings are reporting me as arriving home at the correct time, then leaving a few minutes later, then again arriving back home a few minutes after that.

1 Like

Funny, immediately after writing my last post I thought I’d try enabling that setting again on my wife’s OnePlus and this time it worked! No idea what changed. I could then see the placeholder device the new Smartthings app had created in my IDE and used that to create a simulated presence sensor like I did with my phone. It’s correctly reporting her as present. Need to test how it behaves as one or both of us leave and return but some progress at least.

I’m also interested in the Ubiquiti solution as I do have the APs and controller software so that’ll be one potential backup if the native functionality doesn’t work.

HalD if you come across a solution…give me a shout…
I am fresh out of ideas except…leaving ST for Hubitat