How do I get notifications when my wife leaves work or picks up my son from daycare?

@mlamb01

Ok, I am understanding you a little better now and you seem to be correct - I only put my wife’s phone at that location and I don’t seem to be able to add another phone.

Am curious, what if you set up her work location on her phone and name it one thing on her phone and use her phone as the presence detector and you put the same location on your phone but name it something else and use your phone as the presence detector. I think the notifications will go to both phones regardless of the phone number you assign. Set up a custom rule and call it, for example, (wife’s name) arriving to .(her location name) and another custom rule just like it for when she leaves. Then, write two more custom rules but this time substitute her name and her location name with your name and your location name for when you arrive and leave.

For example: Betty Arriving at Daycare and Betty Leaving Daycare. John Arriving at Daycare 1 and John Leaving Daycare 1.

If you use custom rules you might be able to differentiate who was arriving/leaving that location.

In my case, I made a custom rule named, (my wife;s name), leaving work using her phone as a presence sensor and the notification says the same thing. I created another custom rule doing the same thing for when she arrived. I did not setup anything else, (routines, etc.)

Try doing what I said above and let me know how that works out.

Brian

New phones and devices will not automatically carry over from other Locations. SHE HAS TO ADD HER DEVICE TO THE LOCATION BEFORE YOU CAN USE HER DEVICE IN A SMART APP. The phone that is used to create a location is automatically setup as a presence sensor. Any additional phones must be ADDED by going to Marketplace > Things > Sensors > Presence Sensors > Mobile Phone > + Connect Now.

I also looked at my wife’s phone and under her work location there was a place to manage users, but I did not mess with it as it is working perfectly for me as it is.

@dawz2, mlamb01

Jam, you hit the nail on the head! I was able to add my phone to her work location just as you said.

Brian

Yep Jam, I think that is exactly what I needed to do! I was able to use these steps to add myself to her work location. Now that I have done that though, I show up as present at her work, even though I am miles away. I guess this will get fixed once I go there and leave?
I’ll have her do the same steps on her phone to get her on the daycare location.

Life360 only allows 2 free locations unless you pay the monthly premium price.

There is a way around this. Set up multiple groups and add each set of users to each group. Each group can have up to 2 free locations. That’s how I have it set up. For instance. ST group with 2 home circles. One larger than the other. I use the really large one to pre-cool the house. The small one is for presence doors and locks. Then I have a family group and I have each of our work locations listed.

1 Like