How do I add Nest Thermostat into ST?

I cannot thank you guys enough!!

I am brand new to SmartThings, Nest, IFTTT, and GitHub; however, I am not new to home automation. I installed a SmartThings hub, Z-Wave switches, GE Connected LED bulbs, and a NEST thermostat last night and this afternoon. It was so irritating that ST and Nest were not already connected. I read several things on the interwebs until I found this forum thread. It took me an hour to figure out all the different tools (GitHub/SmartThings) and how to navigate these tools.

I followed all the detailed instructions, and with very few issues, was up and running with my Nest on ST. I could not be happier at the moment! It was impossible to find the serial number following the methods above, but I still had the Nest box which had the SN on the side.

THIS METHOD WORKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE NEST APP!

Thanks again!!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the support, I was able to get things up and running without much trouble at all. The instructions were good and this being my first thing added, I got it working in 2 trys.

One thing that I would like to do is to set the Nest to AWAY, I was trying to figure out how to do this and it doesn’t look like it is included.

I know that I can use the temp settings and just set them to high/low so it does not turn on, but I like the idea of managing it using the built in AWAY function. Is this possible?

I use this SmartApp to mirror presence to Nest:

1 Like

Thanks you so much. This is what I am looking for. I just got my Hub V2 and try to figure out what should I do with that code? use it to create smartapp? but now I know. The instruction is not clear.

Can someone please help me? I am in the same boat. I followed all the instructions and when I get to these steps: Click the edit button next to Preferences, Fill in your information in the mobile app I only get the device name to change no other information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Update: Figured it out right after I posted this. I had old code from GitHub that didn’t work.

Hey guys! New to smart things had a stack box from Kickstarter, just got v2, do I just follow the steps above to add nest? Is it fairly easy? Thank you!!

Follow luisv’s steps from Nov '14. Also choose the code at the bottom (most recent) of the list. Also, be patient, it may take a minute or two for the phone app to update with everything you’ve added.

Got it!! Thank you! Is there a way to add the integration to Alexa device list??

For Alexa integration there isn’t much to do other than enable it in the Alexa app and then run discovery.

One note, if you have devices in your system that Alexa has already found, avoid naming the device the same in Smartthings. For example, I have a Hue bulb and it was named “Jon’s Bedroom” both in the Hue app (that was already discovered) and in Smartthings. This would confuse Alexa and she wouldn’t send the command when asked, just get stuck in a “multiple devices with that name” loop. I ended up changing the Hue app name to “Jon’s Hue” and leaving the Smartthings name “Jon’s Bedroom”. This fixed the problem even though I have the same device with multiple ways to interact with the same physical device.

Were you able to add nest to the Amazon echo smart things app it didn’t show up on my device list? I ran into the same issue and grouped them in Alexa and that solved it also.

No, the nest doesn’t show up in my list of Alexa devices either but I haven’t had an opportunity to experiment much with Alexa lately.

i can’t see the nest in Alexa’s list also
 any suggestions?

Since neither the Echo or Smartthings natively supports nest, there isn’t much you can do until Amazon or an Amazon developer creates an app for the nest. Voice control via OK GOOGLE does work with the nest though.

Any android users having any luck with this updating without hitting refresh? I’ve tried all the listed device types and none update the current state of the nest. The only way to get current state is to hit refresh.

You’ll probably need to add something like Pollster

1 Like

Hi guys,

This is my first post here @ ST. I just want to thank luisv for his set of instructions. They worked flawlessly for me and were really easy to follow.

Is there any method for getting the Nest to update in real time? I have to refresh my device windo to get the current state. Is that jsut a display issue or does it not report to Smartthings unless you force it to?

I have a Nest that only servers heat. I can’t seem to get rid of Auto & Cool option. What do i need to omit to make those options unavailable?

Thank you

Also is there a way to move the “Refresh” tile up?

Pollster works great! It is not real time updates but every 5 minutes which meets my needs just fine.

In the code there should be detals line (for me around line 148) and looks something like this:

details(["temperature", "thermostatMode",  "thermostatFanMode", "TempUp", "TempDown", //"coolSliderControl", 
    "coolingSetpoint", "TempUpHeat", "TempDownHeat", "heatingSetpoint", "humidity", "presence", "refresh"]) }

You can reorder them and remove what you don’t what displayed.

For the Auto/Cool/Heat you should be able to just delete the ones you don’t want from this section:

standardTile("thermostatMode", "device.thermostatMode", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
        state "heat", label:'', action:"thermostat.heat", icon: "st.thermostat.heat", backgroundColor: '#E14902'
        state "cool", label:'', action:"thermostat.cool", icon: "st.thermostat.cool", backgroundColor: '#003CEC'
        state "range", label:'', action:"thermostat.auto", icon: "st.thermostat.auto", backgroundColor: '#000000'
        state "off", label:'', action:"thermostat.off", icon: "st.thermostat.heating-cooling-off"
    }