How can I create multiple modes for use with my Arlo cameras?

What kind of device do you want to use - Select Motion Sensor.
Select Motion Sensors - Select the front cameras that you still want to be active.
Skip to Only When Mode is - select the new mode Dog Out Back
Click on each camera’s name and be sure the recording time for it is set to one minute.
Click Next and you will go to a new page

On that page - Select Text and Push notifications -click on the arrow to the right of this.
Enter you phone number and type in whatever message you wish to receive from the front cameras
Click on Done at the top of the page,

done…

is that all there is to it?

The Done will change to Next
Click on Next
Click on the Edit Rule Name and at the top enter a name for this Rule - something Dogs Outside Front Still Armed
Click on Save at the top of the page and you should be done with this scenario. We can repeat the same process for each scenario.

A couple of things here. Go back to the Routine that we just created and click on the little gear icon. Where it says Turn off these sensors, be sure to turn off the back cameras that you don’t want to detect motion.

One more thing - In the Good Morning Routine be sure to make sure that all of the cameras are off and the security mode is set to disarmed,

When you have finished this let me know. If you wish to tackle the other scenarios fine, just let me know if you need help. If not I will walk you through them.

When you are completely finished let me know as I have a couple of more suggestions for you.

Brian

1 Like

Thanks so much, definitely got me going in the right direction…

Now trying to figure out the stupid Arlo mode. with the smartthings mode, the detect audio is defaulted on, but will not let me change…

Now that you mentioned it, I see that problem and can’t see a way to solve it yet.

Anyway, I repeat, don’t use the buttons on Smartthings home page any more to arm/disarm your system as they will completely disregard your custom rules and routines. Arm/disarm with the appropriate routine. You will probably want to also go into the I’m Back routine and be sure all the cameras turn off when you return home.

Anyway, I am retired and I spend a lot of my time on this forum and just recently on the Arlo Community forum. I try to help people with their Smartthings/Arlo problems as I realize how daunting a task it can be.
If you need further help just let me know. I would also appreciate a couple of kudos on the arlo site if you don’t mind.

Cheers,

Brian

1 Like

Thanks so much Brian. I’ve got it mainly figured out… It’s really unfortunate, there is a good 3-6 second delay before recording kicks in. And it’s in both my arlo app and ST. I am going to have to stick with Arlo’s app for now due to the delay.

One thing of note, mainly for anyone following this, is when ST connects to Arlo, it creates a custom mode in the Arlo app called “smartthings”. You can edit the mode in Arlo, but as soon as you tell smartthings what to do, it will change what ever camera was activated to also detect audio and push notification on, hence double notification. You can change it manually with the arlo app, but it doesn’t matter, ST changes it back everytime you switch rules… I might have tried to figure out a work around, but the delay is too much of a hurdle for me at present.

As for the double notification, I think you might be able to disable the notifications in Smartthings and only get one notification. As for the Audio, beats me as I don’t see that Smartthings is controlling that.
As for the delay, when the soon to be released Arlo lights with built in motion detectors arrives, I will probably purchase several of them, that way I won’t need to be so heavily dependent on the Night Vision and I can use them to trigger the cameras to start recording earlier due to good placement of the lights.

Brian

@Scott2ya

Ok, I just tried something. In the Arlo App I was able to turn off Audio Detection and it stayed off even when I went back and played wit Smartthings. Be sure to clock off the box on the right side of the Audio Detection.

Arlo will not let you save the rule if both Text and Email notifications are de-selected, but I have read of people sending their email notifications to a different junk account.

I would need to do some more research on the latter though.

Brian

1 Like

Interesting… thanks! But that dang delay… it’s a shame, that ST won’t just change the custom modes you already set up in Arlo, and let Arlo do it all. That’s one of the problems I have with IFTTT, can only change to a default, armed, disarmed mode… if they ever get it back working.

I’m new also and I just added my Arlo cameras to SmartThings. SmartThings TAKES OVER All commands for the cameras once the Arlo account is added to SmartThings. So disregard all Arlo account settings and work from SmartThings.

imageimageimageYou’ll see a SmartThings (see images). I made all of my changes via tie SmartThings app. You’ll have to create custom SmartThings “Home Monitor” settings one for each camera or however you want to group them…

@hbr

So, after eating some breakfast, and drinking more coffee, I figured out the solution for me. I’ll of course let Arlo trigger and do the all the recordings due to the 5 second delay, and I can let ST disable and re-enable the camera’s I don’t want on at certain times, for instance scenerio 1 when I let the dog out back, I can have those camera’s disabled and create another rule to re-enable the camera’s when I let her back in. This will let me keep using my schedule in the Arlo app without having to change anything in Arlo at all. :slight_smile:

My next step will be getting OK google to let the dog out… but I gotta get a few hours of sleep before I tackle that…

3 Likes

Found this thread and thought I would ask everyone’s opinions here. I understand (still to my disappointment) that there is no way to change Arlo modes outside of Arlo. I am still hoping that Smartthings and/or IFTTT will have that ability soon (but not holding my breath).

So, on that, I have a conundrum…I want to be able to keep all my internal cameras “On” so I can view live videos (and intercom) from them but not alert. I want to activate motion alerting/notifications when I leave the house and smartthings goes into away mode automatically. I am coming from a Blink system and had that ability which was great (cameras would be on/armed all the time but motion alerting only active when in away mode).

Any ideas on how to do the same thing? I use CORE and may explore that this weekend but not sure how much camera settings I can control with it just yet. Thanks for any thoughts.

You should be able to use Arlos Geofence mode to handle when you leave and come home, I don’t use Geofence myself so I can’t walk you through that part. The main reason I have Arlo connected to smartthings it’s so the motion can trigger lights. Unless you don’t mind a 5-7 second delay from motion detected to camera recording, I would keep Arlo in control. Also Smartthings treats the cameras like switches so you can also turn them on and off, but I don’t like doing that. I just let Arlo handle it.

There is a promising smart app in the works called Arlo Pilot. It can change Arlo modes. But it’s not very reliable yet. Arlo recently did something in the background that made this new app not so reliable. I’m hoping that it gets fixed soon.

@Scott2ya

You should try arlo pilot again. As of last week it was working again for me. My Arlo modes change as they are supposed to when a switch turns on and off.

netgear must have fixed some things of their end

1 Like

I tested it out 2 days ago. It was 50/50 for me.

Edit: just tested again, and seems to be working 100% now. Sweet!

Thanks, will try the arlo pilot and see if it does what I need and hope it becomes more stable.

Tried the Geofence idea. Got it to work then realized I had a small complication with my wife’s phone. I get around some of the scenarios with core today about leaving and arriving. Got Smartthings “tuned” now for those routines and hate to have to manage Arlo as well independently.

@Scott2ya Thanks for pointing me to ArloPilot. Seems to give me the capability of what I want to do. Tweaking it now and seeing what else it can do. Will worry about consistency/stability in a bit but this is already more than what I had before. Monitoring that thread as well now.

Thanks again!