Hook 433/315 mhz brdge (Help this project!)

I as well as other people have been integrating 433mhz products and this project that was forwarded to me looks like a great solution by people smarter than myself with a decent product that needs help to get off the ground.

Take a look!

2 Likes

I have an original NinjaBlock but haven’t played with it enough. At first glance, these seem similar.

Does NinjaBlock snoop ordinary off the shelf RF signals?

It has a low frequency radio built in (433Mhz at least) and the code is fully open source (Linux on a Beagle Bone).

So sniffing could be done through added software, right?

Yea I mean I do it with arduino and I know there’s a python version of the library I use so I suppose, but this seems more user friendly, at least that’s the demo they’re showing how it can learn “codes” with the click of a button.

1 Like

Yup… I’m tend to be cynical about every Kickstarter and IndieGogo project these days. Too many failures. In fact, Ninja Blocks has moved on to a full SmartThings competitive product, Ninja Sphere, but I think they are having some quality issues … and the Sphere is expensive ($249; and multiples are recommended for Bluetooth use).

I’m concerned that Hook video claims you need only one bridge unit. 433Mhz hasn’t got the range of WiFi (and definitely not mesh like ZigBee & Z-Wave), so while it may be a cheap way to reach a few cheap devices, it’s more trouble than it’s worth in the long run.

I think a 433Mhz bridge is handy for integrating legacy Devices into a more robust system that doesn’t cost that much more (eg. SmartThings).

On the plus side: great to see use of Spark Core!

1 Like

Yea their 3D printed exterior concerns me a little bit. I don’t care but it shows a little lack of polish. I can send 433 mhz across 1 floor of my house, and into my basement in about 50% of my house, wherever the transmitter is. If I move my arduino it doesn’t make it down there. I would just love somebody to do the legwork so I can buy $5 switches that can integrate to ST, like I kind of did myself and will soon do a write up about.

1 Like

That’s exactly why I bought a NinjaBlock. I figured it would lower my device costs and give me a platform for some custom ideas.

Too many ideas.

1 Like

I hear ya there. I took a step back and decided to go spark core directly for my blinds. (Future, subject to change.)

Right. I haven’t even powered up any of my cores :confused: … And I think I’d rather stick with software for a little while since I got Amazon Echo SDK! and it’s more fun to “talk” than … network.

Yea unfortunately sometimes you need to wade nipples deep through the device, hardware, soldering world… Pardon the mental image but that’s about where I feel I am when not in an IDE.

1 Like

just got my hook today

3 Likes

I also just got my hook. Plays well with Alexa. I connected several outlets and my rf door bell :slight_smile:

How are people doing this with hook and alexa? using the ST Hub as a bridge?

Hey Bmac,
I think there is a slight misunderstanding. The hook currently does not interface with ST. I think this thread was more to point out other home automation solutions people should support. Currently hook only connects to your mobile device via app, webpage gui, ifttt (limited), and Alexa. Did you get a hook?

Actually I got it to work through ST and through Alexa.

Someone created a config to be able to trigger the IFTTT URLs and added it as a device on ST. The config can use some improvement as it doesn’t poll for it’s current status correctly and others, but it works and via the APP and then Alexa was able to reconize it and I can add it into groups and control that via Voice.

Any coders wanna tackle that project?

I ordered from the IGG campaign. Hopefully will get it soon. I’m committed to work on a DTH, I just hope the kinks can be worked out.

Not a coder- but I support this setup. I’ve used virtual switches in ST to create stuff for my hook-driven devices. I have 4 I use on a regular basis. I’m still slowly implementing Home Automation for max family acceptance.

Hook does a great job of controlling the devices- especially a simple “on/off” state. You can add additional settings in Hook and add the API to IFTTT for controls but I prefer the binary (Hook is still being developed).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Someone code for this project. I’ll connect you to resources if you don’t know what you’re working with and I’ll be your guinea pig- I mean- Alpha tester.
THANKS!

I would gladly take a free hook to figure out how to do webhooks. I’m just a cheapo and I got it working without the hook. I was the person who posted Hook’s project on this forum. I did the hook beta which worked really nice but opted for direct integration through Particle.io instead of going through hook, even though it’s probably still Particle.io’s servers and all.

1 Like

Well- it’s been a few months. I know you went back to Particle on this, Keith, but I wanted to address this since I looked for the info in a few places and I still don’t see a lot of action on the product despite the fact that - using it in Smartthings- it’s pretty darn cool. For the record (and future potential searches), we’re addressing the Hook Smart Home Automation. [the number of hits for “hook” on the community search yields too many irrelevant results]

So- here’s the link to some of the preliminary work that went into this, courtesy of Becky Richa;
Documentation from Becky about her quick-and-dirty Hook solution: https://github.com/beckyricha/smartthings-hook
The Groovy code is in the hook.src file towards the top of the page.

This solution works and is much more reliable than trying to channel the requests through IFTTT (although IFTTT is great for making buttons that hit the switches).

I would like someone who’s proficient at creating groovy code for device types to tell me if it’s possible to set an artificial state to read from. The challenge with her code is that it simply makes a toggle of the switch (off and on) and doesn’t remember the state (in the ST app, the state is always ON unless you have switched it off, then back on again).

I would like to reflect the last-known state and offer the user a reset button if it gets out of synch. So-if an automation turns my lights on, I’d like the state to read on. If the automation turns them off, I’d like to read them as off. There’s no polling of the device (unless hook has something in their own device code which allows the last state to be remembered) so the reset would allow the device state to return to the default we designate (this is where “on” can serve as the default).

Help, anyone?

1 Like