Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U Thermostat Operating State?

@drsprite,

If you want a device type using the new attributeTile capabilities for App v2.x, I believe the device type I’ve written should work for the Honeywell thermos. I replaced mine with Evolve’s after both Honeywell’s started getting Connection Lost errors.

The image is a little old because the Status line is now using 2 lines of text, but everything else is the same.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/SmartThings-Devices/master/thermostat.device.groovy

1 Like

Ok cool. I’ve updated my device type 2 months ago with sliders and arrows, and it’s working great, but I like the idea of the v2 tile. I’ll check into it

Looks pretty good! I like the option to select the cool or heat without having to cycle through! The cycle through before was a bit buggy in my opinion.

Do you know why my icons look a little squished?

Specifically the temperature bubbles, and the “Off” “Heat”

Oh easy enough, just had to change the height on them. Good to go.

1 Like

@drsprite, Oh now that’s interesting… The only thing I can think of is how iOS vs Android renders the tiles within the app. Those are 3x1 and 3x2 formatted tiles (others are still 2x2), so maybe iOS does something different.

You could change the tiles in question back to 2x2 and insert blank 2x2 tiles, to maintain the vertical layout for temp, or change them to 2x2 and change orientation to horizontal by just tweaking the “details([” line 146. Perhaps the same for the mode tile buttons.

This is a real bummer to see this difference between iOS and Android in the app, so perhaps it’s something ST could address, or it just could be an operating system difference that can’t be addressed.

I’m curious…how does it look now?

Resized them and moved their orders around a little bit to what made sense for our usage. So far so good!

1 Like

I see, via the code, that it’s impossible to change the mode to “emergency heat”. Because I’m unsavvy in such things, how would I add it?

Somewhat off topic, but which brand Evolve thermostat did you switch to? I’m looking to get a thermostat that works well with ST, but would rather not spend the $250 for a Nest or Ecobee…

Hi @Jkimrey, I have 2 glass faced T100r’s. There’s the same as this:

http://www.evolvecontrols.com/devices/environmental/glass-t100h

These have been super rock solid for me. They’re designed for commercial use in hotels, etc, but their “r” series is for residential use. Found them brand new on eBay for less than $80!

@johnconstantelo

Thanks for the info - does this look like the one you are using?

Amazon T100R

Edit - sorry, was on my cell phone earlier and didn’t notice the difference - looks like the glass model is much nicer looking (not sure if the internals are the same). Right now it appears the lowest price for those on ebay is $119…

It’s very similar. The only difference is the glass face instead of the plastic. Here’s one on eBay I just found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Evolve-T100R-Z-Wave-Digital-Programmable-Thermostat-w-LCD-Screen/151755422771?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Db56aa403d987441c85cfb2ef1b00111b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D131431849553

I’ve asked the seller just now if this really is the glass faced version because it can be easy to get the two confused.

@Jkimrey, you’re too fast! The internals are exactly the same. I went with the glass face primarily for looks.

Yeah, really like the looks of the glass as opposed to the one on Amazon. It looks like v2 of the Nest is around $150 at Lowe’s right now, so I guess I need to consider whether the Nest would be worth an additional $30 (if the eBay version is indeed the glass)…

Anyway, I’ve hijacked this thread enough - my apologies.

Thanks again for the info.

1 Like

I am using a Honeywell RTH8580ZW and android. I created your device type and I love the way it looks and the added control to circulate and off.

It is controlling the thermostat ok, however it does not refresh the current temp or setpoint back to android. In the logs I am getting many:

error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @ line 204

Is this device type still supported? I would hate to go back to the stock ST device. Thanks for any help.

No problem, I’m still supporting it. Just to be sure you’re using the same version as me, can you make sure you’re using this updated copy?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/SmartThings-Devices/master/thermostat.device.groovy

Or, can you look at your version of the code and let me know what lines 200 through 205 look like?

Thanks for the quick reply John! I was using v4 from post #22. I deleted and created v7 and it works great, logs look happy now :smile:

I have been trying out several device types for my Honeywell RTH8580ZW and recently found this thread, don’t know if there is a better one to follow your developments? Your device type has the most control for the features of this thermostat, good work!

Looks great and I love the 2-line current status reporting. I’ll let you know if I notice anything.

Thanks for the kind words @Whippm! Glad it’s working for you, so let me know if something comes up.

1 Like