Homekit and SmartThings: The Latest Discussion

With home bridge, you can simply use a $35 raspberry pi board to have the benefits of HomeKit

Thanks for replying but for what Iā€™m reading on HomeKit user forums there is tons of automationā€¦

And even third parties to expand like thisā€¦
Hesperus by Oltica

It would be costly though since I have 30+ non HomeKit compatible devices

Juan Felsmann

We moved a lot of our stuff to HomeKit about a year ago. Since motion sensors and contact sensors became available as triggers a few months ago, it meets all of our needs for simple use cases and is very reliable. However, the logic is much much simpler than SmartThings and you just canā€™t do as much as you can do with SmartThings without getting off into all of the complicated unofficial stuff which we didnā€™t want to do.

For example, itā€™s super easy to set up a notification in smartthings to notify me if a closet door has been left open for two minutes. I can get HomeKit to tell me that the closet door has just opened, or I can ask it if the closet door is open, but I canā€™t get a delayed notification.

But for just having lights come on on a schedule or from a motion sensor, operating a smartlock, or turning lights off by voice, HomeKit has been solid and reliable at our house. We use it with Lutron switches, Phillips hue bulbs, and both Elgato and Fibaro sensors.

So as always, different things work for different people. :sunglasses:

Thanks JDroberts very helpful

Juan Felsmann

1 Like

Hi new to the forum and smart things. I recently bought a smartthings hub and 5 water sensors to monitor potential leaks around the house. Has anyone had any success with connecting smartthings water sensors to homekit via homebridge? I already use homekit and homebridge to connect and control my lifx bulbs already and some elgato eve sensors. Iā€™ve been having issues with connecting smartthings to my homebridge hub but want to figure out if itā€™s worth the effort before i give it another try or if i should just run it as a separate water monitoring network.

Iā€™d like to be able to use homekit as the master controller but use smartthings as a hub for additional z-wave devices since theyā€™re far more ubiquitous and cheaper.

My fortrezz and Smartthings water sensors work with Homebridge. Ny Aeon water sensor does not. I am using the default device handlers for all of them.

This thread is a great example of the good olā€™ days when @Ben and other ST employees engaged with the community without fear of daddy Samsung having to play damage control due to controversy or respectful arguments.

2 Likes

I am still here and muzzle free. I keep up with the community, albeit not as active with posting since I moved over to the engineering side of the table.

3 Likes

We moved a lot of our stuff to HomeKit about a year ago. Since motion sensors and contact sensors became available as triggers a few months ago, it meets all of our needs for simple use cases and is very reliable.

I am curious, do you use an Apple TV in your Homekit integration? I was intending to use Homekit primarily in my own setup, but have been frustrated by the slow adoption by manufacturers. Some will even update their products and still continue to leave Homekit out of it. So I turned to Smartthings because of the vast amount of integration. The reason I ask about the Apple TV is that I do not have one, but I generally have one or more iPadā€™s plugged in and acting as hubs and I consistently get disconnects in my Homekit products.

Yes, we do have an Apple TV. (We started with HomeKit before the iPad selection was an option.) We do also now have an iPad as the hub.

Our devices have all been very stable except for an ihome 5 switch which was so unstable that we returned it. But everything else stays connected just fine for us.

We have some iconnect pocket sockets, Elgato eve sensors, Lutron Caseta switches, Philips Hue bridge and bulbs, and a few other Devices. Most have been in place for about a year, except for the ones which were introduced more recently like the sensors.

There is a page in the community ā€“ created wiki that lists devices that work with both SmartThings and HomeKit:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Devices_that_Work_with_HomeKit_and_SmartThings

Drumming up an old thread here. My understanding is that Apple removed the requirement for a MFi chip for HomeKit compatibility. Has anyone else heard this? This supposedly happened in June.

It happened, but then itā€™s up to each manufacturer to decide what they want to do about it. So far SmartThings hasnā€™t done anything that we know of.

As mentioned in the post above yours, there is now a list in the community ā€“ created wiki of devices that work with both SmartThings and HomeKit. Hopefully there will be more in the future now that the chip requirement has been removed. Devices sold commercially still have to go through a certification process, though. More details in the following thread:

2 Likes

Why is HomeKit important?

Apple iPhone X 4
Apple iPad X 3
Apple Watch X 2
Apple Mac Mini X 1
Apple MacBook X 2
Apple TV X 3

all of these devices recognize my voice when I say ā€œHey Siriā€ with no other action needed. It sure would be a nice day when I can say ā€œHey Siri, is the garage door closed?ā€ or ā€œHey Siri, did I leave my lights on? OK, shut them offā€

1 Like

Siriā€™s power to control smart home using HomeKit it impressive.

Samsung and Apple arenā€™t exactly ā€œbest buddiesā€ though, soā€¦?

Actuallyā€¦

Samsung has been and will likely continue to be appleā€™s largest supplier of parts for the iPhone, accounting for about a quarter of the total value.

The two companies sometimes work together, sometimes compete against each other, sometimes sue each other. itā€™s a typical global 2000 corporate relationship. :sunglasses:

Samsung undoubtedly would like the Apple Watch as a customer vehicle for the new SmartThings open cloud.

Like Facebook says, ā€œitā€™s complicated.ā€

If Samsung decides itā€™s in their best interest to add HomeKit functionality, theyā€™ll add it. But who knows if that will ever happen.

1 Like

One can certainly hope!!

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

So I signed on today because Iā€™ve started integrating HomeKit with my SmartThings system, and Iā€™m curious whether anyone knows if the iDevices Socket works with SmartThings as well as all the others?

Weā€™re starting to see a number of devices that can bridge between ST and HK, like Belkinsā€™ Wemo devices. Now that Apple has provided software APIs that let IoT mfgs implement Apple-level security without a physical chip, more HK devices are entering the market.

Iā€™ve started deploying the Wemo Mini Switches around my home, replacing the old GE Z-Wave swithches. HomeKit can control the Wemos, as can ST, even though itā€™s not listed as a compatible system. This lets me use the Wemos as trigger devices in ST routines, and then initiate automation through Siri. I can do a lot with Alexa, but Iā€™ve always been concerned about security with Alexa, so I really limit its access to our IoT network. With Siri on my Apple devices, I have far fewer security concerns, and I find that Siri is generally more useful and ā€œsmarterā€ than Alexa.

Iā€™m also finding that the Wemos are a lot more responsive and stable than the Z-Wave switches (smaller too). Plus, Costco is selling Wemo two-packs for $30, so I was able to by 8 new devices for what a couple of Z-Waves would cost.

So far the only problem Iā€™m having with HK is that itā€™s not correctly updating presence when my wife and I both leave home. It seems to be registering our presence by WiFi/cellular connection instead of counting us outside the geo-fence.

Iā€™m going into the Apple Store to ream their ā€œgeniusesā€ about this, but if anyone here knows a solution, please let me know. Also if anyone knows whether the iDevices Socket works with ST. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an article in the community ā€“ created wiki that lists devices that work with both SmartThings and HomeKit for those interested. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Devices_that_Work_with_HomeKit_and_SmartThings

2 Likes