Homekit Software Authentication Finally Coming

Looks like when iOS 11.3 is released in the spring, it will finally include the previously announced Homekit S/W authentication so device manufacturers no longer need to include the special chip. It will be interesting to see how quickly companies jump to add support. I’ve never been a homekit user since my devices don’t support it, but this could get me on board

HomeKit software authentication provides a great new way for developers to add HomeKit support to existing accessories while protecting privacy and security.

`

5 Likes

Though I doubt Smartthings will bother with this, being a Samsung company they are being morphed more and more into a Samsung product, meant for Samsung stuff

True, but it may mean there will be more third-party devices which work with both HomeKit and smartthings, something that some of us look forward to. :sunglasses:

There are a few devices that work with both now, most notably Lutron Caseta switches, the Phillips hue bridge, the August Pro door lock, the Ecobee thermostat, and some WeMo Devices via the new WeMo bridge. But it would definitely be nice to have more.

HomeKit is generally a good solid simple local system for things like turning on the lights at sunset, while smartthings offers a much wider device choice and the ability to have much more complex rules, but at the cost of a much shorter maintenance free operating period (MFOP).

Having devices which can work with both can really simplify outage planning, for example. :wink:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Devices_that_Work_with_HomeKit_and_SmartThings

3 Likes

This was exactly my thought. Not a strict ST compatibility, but compatibility across the board regarding the individual 3rd party products. When I purchase devices for my ST environment, I have two criteria…either HomeKit (for future) or Z-wave. So far, everything except my Ring doorbell meets this criteria.

In hindsight, I should have given Caseta switches more though, but that boat has sailed. Maybe now I will be able to get a Homekit enabled secondary Z-wave controller.

1 Like

I wish Lutron Caseta offered more products, mainly a fan switch. :frowning:

1 Like

Interesting.

However, I’m deep enough in the ST - Alexa scenario enough that this would be mostly irrelevant to me. Or so it seems at first glance. I mean, aside from a chandelier and a couple ceiling fans everything in my home that’s fit to be automated has been automated. With my voice control already being done by six Echo Dots and my automations already built in ST, I can’t see purchasing more stuff. I even held off buying a google dot this year, though I kinda wanted to add one to the mix just for the heck of it.

Nearly 50% of my devices work with both Homekit and SmartThings

1 Like

It is typically Apple for them to require a special chip, its actually surprising that they now add support for authentication without it! What is really frustrating is quite a few manufacturers have already spent X (insert reasonably significant number) on adding the chip solution, hence I cant see them wanting to do it again by software… Everybody who bought a device before the Homekit-compatible device will not be able to use it, and push Apple even further out of the game!

IMHO!

Fun fact on Siri (ok, a little off-topic)

3 Likes

While there is no fan switch, they do have 6a Toggles that I have used for fans in my home without any issues after speaking with Lutron support:

2 Likes

Not what I want. I wish to control the fan speeds, not just turn the fans on/off.

2 Likes

Apple finally realizing that you can’t walk into a market you never been in before and then demand everything changes because you think it is better. So glad they realized the investments being made and leveraging software to solve security concerns over hardwired/never going to be up-to-date security chips.

2 Likes

Yea. I am an Apple fan but I wish this was a segment they would stay out of. Homekit provides a nice local interface for sure. But the options are (have been) too restrictive, the routines are to simple and I find the external network connections to be very unreliable. The fact that I have a mac computer running 24/7 as a home server but I can NOT use it for Homekit is pretty stupid.

2 Likes

Do you have a homekit hub (Apple TV or iPad) set up?

I first setup the Apple TV and could never get it to work. I verify the TvOS version, made sure it was enrolled and verified it was set to never sleep. It just never worked. I tested it on my son’s ipad where it does work, but is unreliably slow and often many tiles time out as “No Response”. However, I can log into the individual apps (Ecobee & Hue currently) and verify everything is working.

Works great when I am home however.

I do plan to install ipads in place of my alarm panels in the future and perhaps I will have better luck then. Again, just shortsighted that I cannot use an already on MacOS running server to perform this same function.

Uh huh. Why spend $39 on an Android tablet, when you can spend $600 on an iPad that does less of what you want?
(runs for cover)

Don’t get me wrong. I’m currently typing this on an iPad, which is my 2nd. I like this product.
It’s just waaaay overkill as a device dedicated to home automation. Especially when its automations don’t stack up to what can be done less expensively AND better.

You can get a new iPad starting at $329 ($319 at Costco), and lots of used choices at under $250.

I’m not saying they aren’t significantly more expensive than an android tablet, obviously they are, but if you’re spending $600 you’re not buying a basic model as a home automation controller.

As far as “less of what you want” that depends on what you want. iBeacons work much better with an iPad than they do with an android tablet. Local home automation for a simple lights and sensor system that runs without requiring a lot of maintenance will be immediately available on an iPad. And if you need accessibility options, they are both better and have more choices on an iPad.

It’s literally an “apples and not apples” comparison – – they don’t offer the same exact set of features.

If an android tablet does everything you need, obviously the prices is in its favor. But there are many of us find that an Apple iPad gives us features that the android doesn’t. And for some of us, that extra cost is worth it. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

Thanks for the concern buddy :slight_smile:

But primarily is because I already have them. My kids I’ll have to get new iPads when they reach fourth grade at school and we get a discount it through the school. So starting this summer I basically get one new iPad each year for the next four years for about $170 and the old ones go up the wall.

Secondly, i can use them in my house forothr purpises. A wall mounted ipad in my house will contro about 7 different items in my house - of course the android could do all this too.

Thirdly, I manage all the idevices in my house via OS server, so adding them creates no new work for me. Updates and apps are pushed through and the devices will be locked for their function.

So for me personally, ipads are a more seemless way to approach it.

@JDRoberts is right as well. If buying new, there are cheaper options if you dont go high end. Im not against buying used either, especially for a wall mount. I always wipe clean :wink:

For better or worse, my house is an apple ecosystem. I took it on my knees for Steve Jobs lol. It has its weaknesses and disadvatafes. But for a busy house with four kids…it all just works.

Im also keeping Homekit open. Im not pleased with it now but it works well in limited scope and can serve as an alternate interface to ST, especially with Siri control.

1 Like

which version of the apple tv do you have?

I wont be able to check until tonight but is the new one from early 2017. Its hardwired on my network so its not a wifi issue.