Home Activity Simulator (Make it look like i'm home App)

I understand the reasoning to simulate the bedtime properly. However most of the time the modus operandi of thieves is to wait for who they think is the “whole family” to leave and allow a grace period, then strike. If within that grace period they see a light come on, (even if we happen to go out at 0100 HRS) they will think they miscalculated that everybody left or suspect a babysitter or so. They will not risk it.

With regards to the cancellation activity. What exactly do you mean? Will this not only fire when away and between sunset and sunrise?

I have my downstairs Hall Lights stopping at 23:55.

My upstairs Hall Lights go through to Sunrise to simulate someone getting up in the night and going to the bathroom.

I agree. I have a piston that if the lux value gets above a certain value, it will turn lights off.
These may already be off of course, or we have left early and have left them on.
You can do lots of different things for belt and braces.

I would prefer if it is i the same “Piston”. I used to be quite a good programmer in my time (Visual Basic days lol) so im not afraid to dive into logic. I am just getting on the learning curve at the moment.

So if I understood correctly. If I come home or sunrise happens the “Piston” automatically cancels itself? Or it simply wont trigger “again”?

Will a if then else statement suffice? If then same as current but the else will be: Lights off. Will that do?

Also if I change it to this will I lose any progress on the current Piston?

Mode away only changes when all family leaves. So where is the trouble in that?

If it is ON because mode is away as soon as someone is home it can be turned off assuming it was on because of that Piston.

What if I add a variable? Of

If away and sunset

Them action 1
Bla bla
Bla bla
Variable = “Done”

Else

If variable = “done”

Lights off

I need to set the boolean first i think. After turn on not after wait.

I’m not sure if your are overthinking this.
If you look at the screenshots above of the ones I use they are quite simple.
They work well and I have never had a situation where lights have remained on.

How are you turing them off when you get home? I thought you are using a LUX Sensor. Am I mistaken?

My hall lights turn on/off with motion if the lux level is below a certain value.
So when I get home and the lights are on, presence changes to home so the away piston is false.
My motion rule takes over.
BTW, I have various lux sensors so I put them all in in case one goes AWOL.

So I need to set that when the mode changes from home to away it should turn off the lights? And what about sunset?

My only issue here what if the lights are on. I come back home. While mode is already home it still chnages to i’m home right? Will this turn kff that light.

My Home and Away modes automatically change with my presence sensors.
When I leave the house the hub knows I have left the house so changes the mode to away.
The opposite is true when I return home.
Not quite sure what you are getting at but it all works for me.

So should I do this?

Will this trigger again if my wife is already home with lights on and I come home after her, turning her lights off? Or will it only tigger on state change?

I use Automation -> Goodbye. Click on the cog.
Change Mode to Away.
Additional Settings -> Everyone Leaves -> Which. Put in mine and my wife’s presence sensor.
Action delay 5 minutes. (Stops false readings).

Automation -> I’m Back. Click on the cog.
Change Mode to Home.
Additional Settings -> Someone Arrives -> Which. Put in mine and my wife’s presence sensor.
This is how I do it.

This is the only way I could wrap my head around it. Must be a long way but it should be covered. At least I think :scream:

Forgot that! Thanks.

That is good to know. Thank you for all the invaluable help!

Would you be able to tell me what kind of piston this is? I am trying to do something by utilizing your example and I can’t find out how to enter the “If” and group like triggers. Also, do you have indivdual pistons for each of the triggers (e.g. “Using Bathroom…”?

Thanks for the help.
Brock