High Voltage 12v Switch

I have a 12v electric fence charger (Zareba 5 mile DC fence charger) that I want to add a ST switch for timer control. I have seen both the MIMOlite and the Forbra but both seem to only handle low voltage. How can this be accomplished? Thank you.

(Ron Talley) #2

How is the charger powered? Is it outdoors? Can you use a regular outdoors Smart Outlet to turn on power to the charger?

The charger is powerd by a 12v battery which is kept charged with a solar
panel. Smart Outlet would require me to use a power inverter.

Jason Fishbein

(Eric) #4

from your comment, you made it look like you wanted to switch the high voltage line. That was really funny - I can tell you were not serious because that would be ridiculous

the easy way is to glue up a 4x4 outdoor box with a plug repair kit and any 120v relay (like Functional Devices #) RIBU1C-N4 mounted in a knockout, which is made to be rainproof and I think it has an LED so you can sorta-easily see it is energized or not. Seal it up with silicone but you still probably have to drill a 1/8inch weep hole in the bottom anyway. The relay contacts are wired to interrupt the 12vdc +supply to fence charger.

Then you plug that into a smart plug. Then I dunno - profit?

OOPS I FORGOT - if you already have a MIMO then you might as well power it off the battery, and see if the solar can keep up with its additional load (I expect not but worth a shot). The MIMO contacts are wired to interrupt the 12vdc.

I don’t know that in need 120v. The fence charger runs from being directly hooked up to the battery. I just assumed that would be considered higher voltage than a garage door button wire which is what the 12v switches I mentioned seem to be geared towards.

Sounds like maybe I can just use the MIMOlite as is to interrupt the 12v power to the fence charger.

(Paul Haskins) #6

You are confusing voltage/amperage. 12 volt is 12 volt :slight_smile:
Actually - no idea WHAT a garage door switch is, but the amperage is minimal.