Help wiring up a Fibaro dimmer 2

I bought a few Fibaro Dimmer 2 switches, and I’m trying to wire them up with my existing toggle switches. I want to get one installed in a 3-way (2 toggle switches) setup, and one installed in a 4-way (3 toggle switches) setup. For now, I’m just concentrating on the 3-way setup. I took a bunch of switch boxes apart last night and I think I figured out how things are currently wired up. Any chance ya’ll can help me figure out what I need to do to get this working? I just want to make sure I don’t wire it up incorrectly. On to the description!

So from what I can tell, my switches are wired up like Option #9 here

and Option 1 on the Zooz 3-way diagram here.

However, both of those diagrams show the black line wire being connected to the 3-wire cable going to the second switch. In my case, it’s the red wire. The red wire is then connected to the common terminal on the other switch. Fine, colors, don’t need to match, we’re still good.

So based on that, how should I wire up the Fibaro Dimmer 2? I’m fairly confidant that it supports a 3-way configuration with toggle switches, I’m just not exactly sure how. I foundthis page, but it doesn’t accurately show what my wiring currently looks like…

Thanks in advance!

The documentation is very poor. On page 10 they don’t even list which wire goes to Load (light) and which wires are line(power) side… If they did, this would be very easy wiring. However, this is what I see based on your option #9.
Disconnect both black wires from the switches.
L will be your black wire coming from the power source.
N will be your white wire coming from your power source. (also connected to the white wire from the light)
S1 would connect to switch 1 ( where one of the black wires was connected to)
Sx would connect to switch 2 (where the other black wire was connected to)
The weird symbol connects to the black wire from the light.

Awesome! Thanks for the picture, that helps a ton.
I do like the idea of dimming at the switch, but both my wife and I much prefer the existing toggle switches we have, and we don’t plan on doing much dimming in that room. In other rooms where we use the dimmer more, we’ve moved to momentary switches. We also have a Google Home in that room, so we can just ask it to dim the light.
Another question: I was reading about some of the Fibaro Dimmer 2’s features, and it sounds like it can respond to a double toggle? So if I keep toggle switches and then rapidly toggle the light on-off-on-off, it’ll register as a different command. Is that accurate?

Thanks again!

Once you install the custom device handler, you’ll be able to use it as a scene controller as well so enable scenes with double or triple clicks but they work more like on-on (not on-off-on-off quickly). There are more details about it in the handler description here: [RELEASE] Fibaro Dimmer 2 (US)

2 Likes