Help w/ garage door open detect and Auto unlock SmartApp

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie to Smartthings, and am loving it–already have a few dimmers, a garage sensor, and door lock installed for some basic convenience. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, so I apologize in advance if it isn’t.

I’m trying to set up a scenario where when I arrive home via my garage that the back door to my home (within the garage) is unlocked. This helps when I am carrying groceries and a baby, and I don’t have to fumble for keys. I am currently using my iPhone as the presence detector, have a smartsense garage door sensor, and a Schlage z-wave lock to the home. Currently, I have it set with a pre-defined SmartApp that works pretty well: “when I arrive home (via iPhone proximity detection), unlock the Schlage lock”. However, it doesn’t work the way I want when we leave the home out the front door and go for walks around the neighborhood with the baby, and unlocks my Schlage lock when I “leave” the house by walking far enough away from my home in the neighborhood and then coming back.

Since I have a garage door sensor, I was hoping for logic along the lines of: “if I arrive home, and the garage door is open (which means I am coming through the garage with my car and not simply taking a walk around the neighborhood), open the Schlage lock to my home”. I am not sure if Smartthings would detect all of these factors in a timely (correct) enough manner (e.g. it will detect my iPhone as “arriving” well before I open the garage door).

Short of buying the Smartthings presence detectors and leaving them in my glove compartment of my cars, are there any other suggestions. I really appreciate the guidance!

Then why not use the door open event to trigger your app and check if you have already arrived as the second condition.

Hi Scott, that makes sense. I will need to read up on developing SmartApps, and figure out how to do this. Conceptually, sounds simple enough, but I have no experience in developing SmartApps yet. Thank you for your input!