Help setting up Nest Thermostat

Just to follow up. I did get it to work with help from support. Plus a bit more on my own. I will paste the precise instructions from Support below. Try those first. But if they don’t work, my deviation is below that.

Click My Device Types

Click New SmartDevice

Enter “Nest” as the name

Check the capabilities boxes for Polling, Relative Humidity Measurement, and
Thermostat

For custom attributes add “presence”

For custom commands add “away” “present” and “setPresence”

Click Create

Remove all the default code in the text editor box

Copy/paste the code from https://github.com/smartthings-users/device-type.nest/blob/master/nest.devicetype.groovy
into the text editor box

Click Save

Click Publish > For Me

Click My Devices

Click New Device

Name: Your Choice, Device Network Id: Your Choice, Type: Nest Thermostat (should be
the last option), Location: Choose the correct location, Hub/Group: Leave blank

Click Create

Scroll down and click the (edit) next to Preferences

Enter your Nest username, password, and serial number

Click Save

That’s it! You should see your Nest thermostat in your app now if you go to the Things
page.

My deviation. There still is no Preferences that show up in the IDE. So go to your phone app and after a few minutes the thing will show up there. Go to preferences and set you Nest preferences there and save there as noted. Then when you go back to the IDE, the preferences will appear.

This seems like a combo of several things, but main thing is to delete the autoloaded code and paste in the code from github. Then finish setup on your phone app.

1 Like

I’ve completed all the steps outlined above, and thank you to airic499 for being so thorough. The Nest shows up as one of my connected “Things”, but when I click on it the values are all empty. I’ve put my name, pass, and serial number in the preferences, but still the values are blank. Under “My Devices” on the smarthings site, it says the Nest status is “active.”

Can anyone help?

Possibly stupid question here:
What should I be putting into “Device Network ID” when creating my device?

Here are the instructions:

Sidjohn,
Those are one of three different sets of instructions that I’ve followed and gotten similar results. If you notice, those instructions don’t actually state what should be put into “Device Network ID”. It just says “Your choice”.

When I follow these instructions, I simply receive a grey “Unknown” circle in my ‘Things’ list on the iOS app. I also have no gear that I can press in order to complete any preferences.

In addition to testing these instructions, I have also tested the “Nest Thermostat” device type that is already pre-published in the ‘Type’ list on the Graph.API ‘My Devices’ page. When I try that Device Type, I get a preferences gear, but it only allows me to rename it. It doesn’t prompt me for serial number, Nest username, and Nest password like I’ve seen others describe here.

1 Like

Update: I tested 3 other integrations in the community and kept getting similar results. Either a “Thing” with simply a grey “Unknown” circle and no Nest login prompts, or a “Thing” with empty data and no connection. PStuart posted a code that worked perfectly the first time. I simply had to copy and paste it into the “From Code” page of the new device type page. I’d paste the code here, but the community page won’t let me paste a second link in this thread. Weird. Anyway, just try and find the Nest thermostat code that PStuart is using.

I am stuck at this step. Cant find preferences button in the third step. Any solution to that?

Airic499

Thank you so much!!!
I could not get this to work and had tied everything.
Finally read your post and now its working.

(apparently the code given in the directions is wrong but Yours worked)
I just needed to follow this steps…

Click Device Handlers
then “smartthings-users : Nest” under Namespace/Name

Remove all the default code in the text editor box

Copy/paste the code from https://github.com/smartthings-users/device-type.nest/blob/master/nest.devicetype.groovy54
into the text editor box

Click Save

Click Publish > For Me

Click My Devices

Click New Device

Name: Your Choice, Device Network Id: Your Choice, Type: Nest Thermostat (should be
the last option), Location: Choose the correct location, Hub/Group: Leave blank

Click Create

Scroll down and click the (edit) next to Preferences

Enter your Nest username, password, and serial number

Click Save

That’s it! You should see your Nest thermostat in your app now if you go to the Things
page.

1 Like