Help. Cannot use Skybell HD button as trigger for events

I cannot get the button press to trigger any events in Smartthings. Has anyone had success with this?

What I would like to do is simply turn on a few indoor lights using the “Smart Lighting” app when the button is pressed. This app, as well as others that trigger events on a button push, requires a button number. However, the Skybell HD does not seem to associate a number to it’s button press. I’m basing this assumption on what I pulled from the live logging when the button is pressed. (I pasted the two lines below.) My guess is this is the reason apps are not responding to the the button press.

1:34:50 PM PDT: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘buttonNumber’ on null object @ line 304
1:34:50 PM PDT: trace buttonHandler(button: pushed, null)

I considered trying to modify the device handler to identify a button press as (1) but I don’t see a device handler for Skybell HD in the template section. Does anyone know if the Skybell HD button press to trigger events has a known issue? Any simple workarounds that I can use?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

It’s now an officially supported device, so you can ask support for help. I don’t have that particular device so I’m not sure what’s going on.

As a workaround in the meantime you can use the IFTTT Channel:

IFTTT lag varies from one house to another. At my house it’s a pretty consistent eight seconds which would be a little long for lighting but might be better than nothing.

I appreciate the suggestion. I just sent the issue over to support so I’ll see what they say. In the meantime I’ll try IFTTT. Thanks

1 Like

Hi There, please email assistant.andrew@skybell.com and we’ll look into your account.

1 Like

Was there any resolution to this? I am having the same issue.

thanks!

No. I still have a ticket open. I’ll ask for an update.

I have the same problem. Motion is working. IFTTT Is working.

The button press is not working with Smartthings.

I requested an update on my ticket last week and was told Smartthings and Skybell engineers were still looking into the issue.

Smartthings did not get back to me. However, I tried using the Skybell button as a trigger in CoRE and that works. When someone rings the bell at night it turns on my kitchen lights.