Hello I'm @gausnes, how can I help

There goes @JDRoberts being right again. Darn it :wink:

6 Likes

I understand thatā€¦ But look aroundā€¦ Who here is ā€œmost peopleā€?

How many people on this forum actually care what the box said? I didnā€™t even read the box. I just want to live in the starship enterprise!

Yes, there are those that bought it as a consumer product. They are the ones with 4 devices total.

We have mailboxes that send us text messages, a can that tells us if the dog was fed and when it was last done.

Iā€™m not insulting folks, Iā€™m just putting a light on it that seems to get over looked.

Maybe itā€™s just that Iā€™ve spent to many years at seaā€¦ And the simple things make me smile.

Edit< this is my thought process with all if this.

What could I do a year ago?
What can I do now?
Look at how amazing the difference is, and thereā€™s still tomorrow!

1 Like

This thread is one group. The people who come to the forum are a much broader group. :sunglasses: And the group of people who buy the product and never even get to the forum is much broader yet again.

But just think how many times somebody comes to the forum and asks ā€œhow do I make the three lights in a room all go on and off together?ā€ Or ā€œhow do I turn a light on with the motion sensor?ā€ Or ā€œhow do I put a light on a timer?ā€

Those arenā€™t home automation hobbyist questions. They arenā€™t starship enterprise questions. Theyā€™re $10-timer-bought-in-a-drugstore questions except put in a network context.

Doing any of those things should be fast, easy, and reliable. No matter which of the three audiences weā€™re looking at.

JMO :sunglasses:

3 Likes

True on all of that.

Look at my post a very broad and sweeping type of thingā€¦ Put it in retrospect if the big pictureā€¦ Thatā€™s allā€¦ Nothing serious, nothing demeaningā€¦

Here. I think this sums it up pretty goodā€¦

In the infamous words of the great and nobly Tommy Chong
~ Why canā€™t we just get along man? ~

1 Like

@JDRoberts honest question: how much do you want to be wrong ONCE? :slight_smile: (friendly bribe LOL)

1 Like

Hey, Iā€™ve been wrong plenty of times. Just yesterday I said the Mimo had four outputs, and it doesnā€™t, it has two in and two out. @Ac7ss fixed that one for me. :sunglasses:

Thereā€™s the famous one about the sensor in the freezer, lots of people pointed that error out, including @johnconstantelo . :wink:

And then thereā€™s the one on Echo notifications where I was waaaaaay off and @bamarayne showed me the light. :bulb:

Iā€™m just one of those people who does read the box, and the users manual, and the third-party certification. And I remember what I read. Most of the time anyway. Add that to the fact that Iā€™m super interested in things that most people could care less about, like network protocols, and I tend to stand out when somebody has a question in one of those areas. But other than that, Iā€™m just as wrong as the next guy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Can I give a slightly different perspective. I am older than most if not all of you. I have ZERO computer background or training. " in the beginning"ā€¦before plug and play, installing any software, updating any OS was a crap shootā€¦my family used to take about removing all sharp objects from the office when I was trying to make changesā€¦my husband and I take about how similar SmartThings today is to Windows and computers in those daysā€¦that beingā€¦showing GREAT promiseā€¦but not ready for prime time. We are very very happy with SmartThings as we understand we have to be patient and understanding of the growth and knowledge curveā€¦my 2 cents, worth no more than half that!

5 Likes

I agree the warnings are a extremely over the top. However Alex is your leader and his absence is not setting a great example.

Fast forward 20 years later, Windows 10 is still a crap shoot. One said INVALID_BOOT_DEVICE, another one says it is not genuine. Same identical 15 computers purchased at the same time, upgraded to Win10 at the same time. So there you have it, still crap shoot, but we think we know more of why it happened ;)) we donā€™t :wink: black box in the room.

As far as ST goes, I have been eyeballing it for a year+ and when I finally saw it on sale ($199 at HD) and after I convinced the teller to give me 5% off on my HD card (they used to do that) or else Iā€™d go to Loweā€™s (who donā€™t carry it)ā€¦ I installed it. I love it, but then again I am the guy who runs beta software on his phone, watch, and laptop. Heck, Iā€™d be crazy enough to run beta software on my carā€™s ECUā€¦ then I discovered RM which two days later went missingā€¦ then I asked ā€œhow about we make anotherā€ā€¦ and @JDRoberts seemed like having a friction about that - which challenged me. Did I mention I hate enjoy being challenged? So then CoRE was born, and in a way I have to thank the right guy who now claims heā€™s sometimes right (yeah, heā€™s wrong my a$$, never!). Wait, yā€™all have to thank @JDRoberts for thatā€¦ he heā€¦ And now I have to admit that the ST team is on this CoRE journey along with us - they HAVE LEARNED from their RM pastā€¦ and to @gausnesā€™s surprise, ST IS running community software in a staged environment, including CoRE. Which is how they prevented another disaster a few days ago. But the community doesnā€™t know/see that. And I blame ST for not telling them they are indeed better than what we - the community - think they are. They are learning from their mistakes and I felt proud to have CoRE run in search for regressions. Oh and did I mention I am always right? LOL

8 Likes

20 years???..oh you spring chickenā€¦

2 Likes

Windows 95 through Windows 10ā€¦ 20+ years. Not to mention Windows 3.1, 3.11 (networked yeeey), and NT4ā€¦ I have never seen Windows 1 or 2 in actionā€¦

And I believe ā€œbefore the plug-n-playā€ puts us at right about thereā€¦ 20+ years :wink:

Got my first ā€œcomputerā€ in Sep '92ā€¦ a Zilog Z80-powered Spectrum computer running Basic. Officially called ICE Felix HC-85ā€¦ loved itā€¦ miss itā€¦

1 Like

TI-99ā€¦ 1982ā€¦83???

1 Like

I was just thinking that. I think I got mY TI-99 in late 1979 or early 1981.

So yeah I like to tinker and fiddle. Luckily my family puts up with it. Yeah Smartthings isnā€™t everything it was promised. Heck what is anymore? This forum and everyone on it coupled with smartthings makes for a great (expensive ) hobby. That hopefully will become a useful and very functional home automation platform.

I myself appreciate that there are actual company employees trying to help. Try to call for tech support lately?

1 Like

Thank you for the outreach.

I realize I am late to the thread here, but my response to your OP would be:

Communicate.

Communicate often.

Communicate without extreme sanitization.

3 Likes

Excuse meā€¦do any of you know what a Trash 80 was??? That should have been about 1982???

1 Like

Well my husband says 1980ā€¦

TRS 80. Sold at RadioShack in the late 70s and 80s. Affectionately called a ā€œtrash 80.ā€ :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It is?

For some, perhaps. But more so itā€™s a solution marketed to the mass market. This isnā€™t a rasberry PI, or an erector set.

1 Like

Yeppersā€¦we lived in Fort Worth, TXā€¦home of the Tandy Corp. First Saturday of every month, down off of Long Aveā€¦Tandy had an outlet saleā€¦my favorite haunt back then

1 Like

Shi*ā€¦ this is making feel older than I all ready feel.

1 Like