I just installed my SmartThings, and figured it was my time to discuss my experience!:
So lets start with the issues:
- Found one multi on android device, showing the door as open/closed frequently. Eventually stopped. Upon reviewing log, I could not confirm that there were log entries that correlated with it blinking on/off frequently.
- Occasionally received timeouts (unable to communicate with network) from android app. Usaully resolved itself by restarting app.
- Found multi-sensors double-side tape less than ideal (if you need to reposition the install, the stuff quickly becomes less usable).
- Found multi-sensors difficult to install as crown molding, weather stripping, etc can affect spacing/alignment. I tend to stil wonder if I have enough contact between both sections to ensure a consistent and accurate open/close status.
- Brand new mutli sensor put on door, not 30 min later, battery is 88%? My other multi-sensor (exposed to about the same amount of activity) still at 100%…
Now that all being said, I must give credit where credit is due… Connecting the devices to the hub was effortless. I am also very impressed with the latency of the hub(I have a lamp turning on in under 1 second!).Overall, very happy considering the state of the project as a whole. Lastly, support absolutely was awesome. When the android app wouldnt let me create a location, within an hour of online chat we had an explanation why and a fix (turn on locating services).
Things I would like to start seeing from the SmartThings team
- Weekly updates on the blog going over what companies are being negotiated with (Perhaps even each dev having a 2-3x a week quick update)
- status of various projects (IP communication, webcam integration, etc)
- a bug tracker
- a “support” forum (with an android sub forum seperate from iDevices)
- a changelog for firmware updates/etc.
- ability to participate and upvote priorities
- Some input/suggestions in which aspects of the various protocols are focused on. For example, with IP based communication, just having a basic HTTP POST and HTTP GET could satisfy a lot of immediate demands, and that may be able to help satisfy further needs for a bit. (Give a little quickly to let people get started, and add in the future).
- I would ideally like to modify the “phone home” of each device. For example, a battery status from devices I’d rather have only at 6hr intervals, and just be notified when we are below 10%. Temperature could be at 10 minute intervals.
- A community wiki for devices with verification levels (i.e. 1 = SmartThings conirmed, 2 = Community confirmed, 3 = Untested, 4 = Failed Testing, 5 = Unsupported Protocol). A simple wiki with basic moderation could allow for this to effectively be done quickly. Remember, all your users currently are fairly “power users” on this build site—help us help you!!!
- Free SmartThings incentives? (I.e. Successful projects that are used by a large majority, the writers get a free smartthing device) (Frequent contributors, etc) (Hey, code being developed outside of SmartThings that is being shared is good for us all—let’s encourage it!!) (And contributors for helping in other ways may have a place (i.e. moderating the wiki?))
These are just a few samples, quickly written together so dont judge my run-on sentences too much (please)!.
Well thats my quick .02$. and if the SmartThings staff need troubleshooting, etc—I will be more than happy to help.