Having house rewired - any tips / advice on how to integrate Smartthings (UK)

My general rule of thumb is 1-2 lights on a circuit can use connected bulbs. More than that and you should consider looking at a connected switch so they all turn on/off together. However, this is going to change if you are looking for color changing features, etc.

1 Like

But even with 1-2, the connected bulb and the dumb switch wonā€™t play nicely together.

True - it is a habit to break (and most families prefer not to have duct tape over a switch). I donā€™t know of any switch protectors/covers for the UK

True, so it just depends on the exact set up.

For example, any place where itā€™s appropriate to use sensors mean lights come on automatically before anybody thinks about going to the switch. Many people now have sensor lights in closets ā€“ ā€“ Open the door, the light comes on. Thereā€™s no reason to even look for the switch.

Itā€™s also hard to explain how much voice control changes switch use until youā€™ve lived with it for a few weeks, and I know the Amazon echo is not yet available in the UK. But there are a number of other voice control options, Including appleā€™s HomeKit, and again, once thatā€™s in place thereā€™s no reason to go to the switch most of the time. Add a battery powered obvious switch like the Phillips hue dimmer and youā€™ve handled visitor needs as well.

For example, pathway lights become very popular. At our house, I use voice to turn on ā€œbedtimeā€ which lights smart bulbs in three rooms: living room, hallway, and my bedroom. After Iā€™m in bed, I use voice to turn them off again. Never went anywhere a near switch.

Of course, you can use exactly the same voice options with smart switches so itā€™s not that thatā€™s a benefit of bulbs over switches. Rather that it just removes one of the negatives of bulbs so that if you do have a reason to use them, you can more easily.

All of which is to say that these days I make the smart bulb versus smart switch decision on a case-by-case basis primarily looking at two factors:

One) cost and effort of the project

Two) Quality of the light needed for that specific location. That includes the question of using the color or color temperature features of a bulb, as well as obvious issues like already having installed fixtures with fluorescent tubes.

From the beginning weā€™ve had some community members who passionately argue for smart switches and others who passionately argue for smart bulbs, but for most people thereā€™s no one right answer. It just comes down to the details of each specific case.

BTW, from a planning point of view, I think itā€™s worth considering ensuring that thereā€™s an outlet available in every bedroom and most common spaces for a voice control unit, whatever it ends up being. For discussion of some options other than Echo, see:

You donā€™t notice them as often in UK stores as in the US because theyā€™re not generally in the child safety section. They tend to be off with electrical supplies and tools. Theyā€™re also often smaller and their intended use is often less obvious. However, switch locks are available for the same uses as in the US: particularly keeping freezers, pumps, generators, and medical equipment from being turned off accidentally. Also as in the US, available in different styles and materials.

Here is a popular one that is generally sold as 4 switch guards for Ā£5. (The black oblong is the switch lock in this photo, but they also come in white,)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-switch-prevent-switches-leaving/dp/B00I3GLL9W

There are several available at Amazon.co.uk.

There are also UK community members who have designed switch covers that fit over an existing switch and then you put one of the two battery powered switches that Iā€™ve mentioned on top of that. These can look very nice. Hereā€™s one:

@PailOckenden definitely HAF here! And I am finding it increasingly difficult to hide my purchases - he didnā€™t believe me when I told him that the customs charges on 2 Hue bulbs were incidental as the bulbs were free gifts! Unfortunately he is at home all day so sees exactly what gets delivered.

We had the sitting room replastered so took the opportunity of putting in the wiring for the TV on the wall - have an Amp so just the one HDMI. Also hard wired surround speakers in the 4 ceiling corners. I also put in 2 CAT6 cables and used Euro Modules for my various sat & aerial connections. I was surprised at the number of things I have plugged into the CAT6.

Light switches throughout the house are LightwaveRF because I like the look of them but have normal and LEDs in the ceiling lights (mixture of GU10 & E14 Golf - gradually changing the E14s to LEDs) I found it was best to pay a bit more for the Megaman LEDs after experimenting with others.

I have LWRF wall sockets in the hall (originally used to lock the socket that my router was plugged into - but I now have a 'comms cupboard which is a shelf in the hall cupboard that I had some electrical sockets wired in) and in the kitchen (just the ones at bench height, not for the appliances).

I indulged in Philips Hue for 3 sitting room lamps which I use in the evening - 2 lamps plugged into LWRF plugins timed through LWRF to come on in the evening then dimmed later in the evening with a Hue routine. I also have a LWRF mood switch on the wall (as my original light switch is behind the door) and this operates both the lamps and the ceiling light manually.

Heating is Honeywell Evohome which I love.

SmartThings is more my plaything. I took part in some testing/marketing so didnā€™t buy my starter kit. I have one of the lamps mentioned above plugged into a plug in socket timed to come on at dusk -30 and off at 11pm and I have a Hue bulb in another decorative lamp which is setup with a SmartApp to forecast the weather. I have also set up apps using my Sonos to play various tunes depending which family member arrives home!

I do like the fact that with ST you can have lots of different things connected to it rather than committing to just one brand.

2 Likes