Hausbell smart WiFi plug

It’s a wifi device that connects to the internet on its own. So either ST would need to create the integration with the company that makes it, or if that device has an open API then maybe a community developer could.

1 Like

Figured a work around. Just create a vitural device and pair to IFTTT. Works perfectly so far.

IFTTT service is Smart Life. It really doesn’t find your devices but it does find the scenes. I just have a couple applets to run everything :slight_smile:

Now Amazon has those plugs back up to $30+ for the 2 pack. Glad I bought at the price I did.

1 Like

That’s cool that they have an IFTTT channel, i should have mentioned to look for that.

Using IFTTT can add a lag to your automations, sometimes a lot. If it works fast enough for you though, then great.

3 second delay is about it. I have heard of crazy lag before using IFTTT but I’m giving it a shot. So far so good.

Sorry, noob. Create a virtual device in smartthings hub and then connect that to Ifttt? Can you give me more details on setting up the virtual device please? (Btw, I’m the noob. Sounded bad.) Thanks!

No biggie. That’s the really cool thing about SmartThings community. There is always ton of support.

So you will need to download the app from either Android Play Store or Apple App Store. Set up the plug. You then will NEED to set up a scene for the plug to be ON and a scene for the plug to be OFF. I will explain later below

Once you have completed that, you will need to go to your SmartThings account

Go to “My Device” and click “New Device”. For the name you can put whatever you are wanting to name it. Same for the label. Generally these are the same. For the Type you will want to select “On/Off Button Tile”. For the NetworkID you can put the same thing you put in as the name. So my Name was Living Room Fan. For the NetworkID I just put LivFan. You can really put whatever your wanting as long as it doesn’t conflict with an actual NetworkID you have in use.

Your pretty much done. Now you just need to use IFTTT to complete the process. You can enable the channel by finding Smart Life.

Authorize it by signing into the channel with the login you used when you downloaded and setup the plug.

From there you just have to create the applet. You will have to do two (on and off).
You may have to re-authorize SmartThings channel to find your plug so you might as well go and refresh your devices on that channel.

1st applet. . . IF SmartThings plug X turns on THEN Smart Life X SCENE!!! turn on.
2nd applet . . IF SmartThings plug X turns off THEN Smart Life X SCENE!!! turn off

For some reason Smart Life applet really doesn’t discover the devices but it finds the scenes so I just created scenes inside the Jinvoo app for a scene called ON and scene called OFF.

Your done. Go and test.

6 Likes

You’re awesome, ty! I haven’t done it yet but your detailed explanation should get me through it.

Much appreciated!

Hey again,

Ok, I got the plug set up and working correctly and I am trying to set up the scene. I am having trouble. No matter what I put for the condition and task, it says there is a conflict. What do I put for that? Condition: device off. Task: turn device on. But it says conflict. I’m missing something.

Thanks!

Oh, I got it. No condition. This software is buggy. After I get everything set up, do I have to keep it installed?

Worked perfectly! Thank you again. Kind of a trick to set up but it works.

Glad your up are running. Let me know if you need anything else. Glad I could assist.

Thanks matthews I just used your guide, it was a little tricky, but worked like a charm!!!

Thanks! It is a little tricky but it can be done.

If you also setup opposit when smartlife is off then turn off SmartThings it will update status in SmartThings app it takes about a min.

Never mind. Updates status but starts the loop

Thanks Matthews for these instructions. This works well with just a couple of seconds delay.
Btw, I am using a Geekbes wifi outlet through Tuya app and did not have to create a scene in the app. The device showed up in the smartlife applet in IFTTT.

Thank you Matthews Family for your explanation!

I just got a SmartThings Link for my NVIDIA Shield last week, and have been scouring the internet for information on how to get two non-hub / router-WiFi based smart home devices I’ve been using to integrate with SmartThings. I’ve logged into the computer-based SmartThings account access website, poked around all of the advanced / developer features, but I had no idea that “null” devices could be added which can then act as a SmartThings connected trigger in an IFTTT applet.

The two non-hub-based devices I’m using are a smart socket switch that is controlled & cloud-connected through the Smart Life app (same company as Tuya) and a RGBW LED strip light WiFi controller that is controlled by the Magic Home Pro app (listed as MagicHue in IFTTT). Both of these can be controlled through their respective Alexa skills, and can be linked to Google Assistant and IFTTT. I also have some SmartThings compatible hub-based dimming lights.

Mainly what I was hoping to do is set up a Alexa voice-controlled routine to turn off certain lights, dim others, and set the RGBW LED strip lights to a certain color & brightness. Via the three skills (Smart Life, MagicHue, & SmartThings,) I can do all of that except for set the color of the LED strip lights. However, the MagicHue service in IFTTT gives me access to a list of colors (and other advanced modes) to control the LED strip lights. I just couldn’t figure out a way to tie together the Alexa routine and a IFTTT applet to get the result I was seeking.

In both cases, using your instructions, I was able to set up “null” devices in SmartThings to use as IFTTT on/off triggers for my Smart Life switch and Magic Home RGBW LED strip light. Most importantly, for the LED strip light, I set up a specific IFTTT applet which sets its color to red and brightness at 20%. Then, back in my Alexa routine, I just added the associated SmartThings device linked to that IFTTT applet. So it works like this:

“Alexa, movie lights” > triggers Alexa routine > turns off some lights, dims others, and also turns on SmartThings device named “red mood” > triggers IFTTT applet to tell MagicHue to turn on RGBW LED strip with red color at 20% brightness.

Awesome sauce!

I was literally just on Amazon looking at some things and seen SmartThings Link and was just reading about it when you sent that message.

I can only assume you can install SmartApps like webCoRE when using the SmartThings Link. Install that and set up some commands to make things run how you want it to run :slight_smile:

As far as I know, for all intensive purposes the SmartThings Link for NVIDIA Shield works exactly the same as the stand-alone hub, which is awesome because I snagged it for $10 + $4.50 shipping direct from Samsung using a promotional coupon code. Anyhow, I see that webCoRE is a much geekier and local-network-based (ie., faster!) IFTTT type of affair, so I will definitely install it and check it out.

I figured out that my RGBW WiFi controller is an ARILUX, so I’ll be attempting a firmware flash of its esp8266 chip and installing erocm1231’s custom service manager and device handler to gain direct SmartThings control as described in this thread. So that fixes one out of two of the non-hub-based devices I’m using.

Either way I can see how your trick of setting up “null” devices (as I’ve decided to call them) here could be very useful as an intermediary IFTTT trigger as part of a webCoRE piston which accomplishes a much more complex set of actions than a single IFTTT applet can. Something I look forward to playing with, anyhow.

Thanks again!

1 Like

FYI it seems you can now control the SmartLife plug device directly via IFTTT rather than having to rely on a scene. At least I am able to do so now, whereas just last week I had to use a scene. The plug now shows up in the SmartLife IFTTT Applet device list.