Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

I posted on this above in post 33
https://community.smartthings.com/t/hampton-bay-zigbee-fan-controller/47463/33\

UPDATE 12/5/16 I am being told now that the ~$38 Wink Receiver (J) and the ~$32 Remote Control (K) for Gardinier 52 in. LED Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan Model # 43260 will be available at the first of next year January. So it looks like we might as well just wait for the actual [Wink Enabled White Universal Ceiling Fan Premier Remote Control] (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Wink-Enabled-White-Universal-Ceiling-Fan-Premier-Remote-Control-99432/206591100?keyword=206591100) product to become available retail and save some money.

2 Likes

I randomly check this thread and link every few weeks to see if any changes. This morning I noticed the original receiver link is back up on Home Depot though still out of stock… May not be too much longer though. In the interim, Don’t suppose anyone has bought the full fan and got a DTH to work yet?

2 Likes

thanks for the heads up… added an alert on HD site for the item…

I found the manual online for the fan.

http://www.wink.com/downloads/help/gardinier-wink-enabled-ceiling-fan/installation-guide.pdf

But unlike the “cooler” manufacturers there are no technical details on the ZigBee command set.

Anyone know how I could get the details on this things brain? I would be interested in developing the DTH.

There is a very good reason I am interested in this. The fan in my bedroom will not spin, so time for a new one. Then there are four more rooms that need either a new fan or the controller.

I have three stores within 40 miles (not that far away when you live in the Midwest USA) that each have one fan.

Interesting thing I found in manual. This may be good for future reference

How to reset controller:

NOTE: Reset your fan if the pairing is taking longer than expected. Turn off your fan for 3 seconds, then turn it back on for 3 seconds. Repeat these steps 5 times. The light will blink 5 times when factory reset is successful. If pairing failed, please reset the device to original setting and re-start pairing

1 Like

I just purchased this fan and installed it.

When adding a new device, the hub found the fan very quickly automatically and the fan light blinked 5 times in response to the pairing (as per the manual).

However, the status of the device in the SmartThings app is “Please Wait” and has been that way for hours.

When I login on the SmartThings web portal I get this:

Name Thing
Label Baby Fan/Light
Type Thing
Version Published
Zigbee Id 0022A30000XXXXXX
Device Network Id 534B
Status INACTIVE
Hub Home Hub
Last Activity At 2017-01-17 9:15 AM PST
Date Created 2017-01-16 7:56 PM PST
Last Updated 2017-01-16 7:56 PM PST
Data
model: HDC52EastwindFan
application:
manufacturer: King Of Fans, Inc.
endpointId: 01
Raw Description 01 0104 000E 00 07 0000 0003 0004 0005 0006 0008 0202 02 0003 0019
Firmware
Current Version: 0x0000000E
Target Version: 0x0000000E
Last Updated: N/A
Last Checked: 2017-01-16 11:48 PM PST
Current States No states found
Events List Events
In Use By

I am willing and capable to try things, but I have no idea where to start…

1 Like

I think someone’s gonna have to create a custom device handler in order for it to work.

I’ll contribute to the bounty on it if anyone is willing. I assume the same DTH will work for the stand alone receiver. If its ever released…

Any progress or update on getting the Fan controller working with SmartThings? I am also eagerly waiting on a solution.

Thanks.

Ditto. I’d buy like 4 of these right now if I could get them paired to ST.

2 Likes

I’d love to see these work, or open wifi/zwave fans, but for now I’m looking into RF blasters. I fear that we won’t have a directly integrated smart fan for quite some time. Also, the price premium is kinda crazy…

If you find a fan with an RF controller, it may work with harmony, in which case you get integration with SmartThings that way, but you don’t get status back if someone uses the RF remote to turn the fan on. That may not matter, but just something to be aware of.

You can look up a potential fan in the harmony database to see if it will work

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

That’s one of the biggest advantages of a zigbee controller, that you should be able to get status as well.

1 Like

@JDRoberts

That link returns compatible for my Hampton Bay Windward II fans, but I dunno if I believe it. I’d buy a hub just to control these, but have been burned by Harmony before.

Any idea where I can find detailed info on just what can be controlled… and whether they are discrete commands?

I’d write and ask harmony support. Or check the harmony forums. :sunglasses:

Their forums are worthless as is their support… was hoping you had first (or at least second) hand info.

I have a friend who has it working with the Lutron fan switch I’ve mentioned before. Lots of online success stories for the Dyson fans with IR and the KDK IR models. But I don’t recall anything for your particular model. Might be easiest to just pick up a harmony at Best Buy and see if it works. :sunglasses:

@kevintierney @tgauchat @tslagle13 @JohnR @Sticks18

I know from reading the thread on the Securifi Key Fob you guys were able to figure out how to make a device handler for zigbee devices. Is there any hope that something like that may be possible with this Hampton Bay one? Back on post #58 @knight_isa is having some success in at least paring it but it isn’t talking to ST. So the best I can tell the first step is to find out if the Hampton Bay controller is using public clusters? What do you all think? Can anyone help? [quote=“JohnR, post:10, topic:15453, full:true”]
I don’t have one so its difficult to write anything. I have helped people in the past remotely if they send me their device’s join log entry. They need to watch the hub’s log while the device joins the network for the first time. Open the “join” entry and cut and past the description into this thread it will look something like this:

description desc: 38 0104 0007 00 03 0000 0003 0004 01 000C

Once we have that information I will look up the cluster numbers and if they are public clusters we will be able to control the device. If they are private clusters then we will need the documentation for the usage of those clusters.
[/quote]
@JDRoberts I don’t think I should have posted this here. Does this need to be move over to a connected devices forum?

This is fine for now. If somebody actually wants to start working on a device type handler, you should start a new thread in the following section of the forum:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories/community-created-device-types

The first step is for someone to capture the fingerprint from the log at the exact moment of pairing. That will tell you whether it’s a ZHA 1.2 device or not. So you need to participation of someone who has the actual device and is willing to work on the project.

2 Likes

@knight_isa @scottalex @5spot
Anybody with this device are you willing to try to grab the fingerprint from the log to see if this device has the potential to be SmartThings capable for us? You can follow the directions on the post I put up earlier. I am willing to put up the effort if the dog gone device ever got in stock at my local HomeDepot. :frowning:

2 Likes