Goodbye SmartThings!

As originally designed, it did. So I always thought they were separate. But apparently sometime since the original design Samsung went back and worked with silicon labs and they decided to use the multi pan option to run both Zigbee and thread on a single radio. If you have the memory to manage it, that can be more effective way of avoiding cross interference, because the radio itself only handles one protocol at a time. @Automated_House was the first one to point this change out to me, but it has since been verified by smartthings staff.

1 Like

My understanding is that the production version was never populated with the Thread chip. Admittedly I completely forgot about this for a long time and so was baffled about the Zigbee/Thread sharing thing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! I never owned a v3. Still have my v2, though! :sunglasses:

1 Like

All three of mine are v2. The v3 has always been way too expensive.

If you really want one, a guy on ebay is selling ones with “broken wifi” for 50.00. Bought one it works fine with a lan cable

1 Like

i am not sure it is thanks to “goodbye” threads popping evey few weeks but my hub seems working stable for past 2-3 months. even arrival sensor works.
or did they fire inepts?

2 Likes

I’ve moved to Home Assistant for my automations and just using the ST Hub to bridge devices/entities.

Automation in SmartThings is too basic and very limited.

1 Like

Sorry which home assistant? Google?

I agree. I currently triaging my home for all my home automation on webcore and it barely do anything. Not to mention it clutters the app so bad with routines.

1 Like

“The” Home Assistant :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! I will look into it.

So tonight it looks like my house no longer works. Hardly anything that should have migrated to edge automatically has and all the groovy dth devices are dead in the water. I’ve decided that since I’m having to essentially reconnect 98% of my devices to a hub and ST did not come close to delivering the “seamless” migration that they promised and described, I’ll invest my time connecting up to an HE C7. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

(Excuse me while I manually confirm my schlage locks are actually locked.)

7 Likes

out of curiosity, which hub connected Groovy DTH didn’t migrate to edge and don’t work? I still have a handful of zigbee devices that haven’t been migrated and they still work.

Probably a few. Some I saw mentioned yesterday… Next Manger, Life360, rboy apps, and others, etc.

those are all cloud connected DTHs, which nobody expected to migrate to Edge since Edge is for hub connected devices only

I am sure not everyone knows that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suppose… the phrase “hub connected” is only used 4 times in the FAQ.

I’ve spoken with several people who thought Life360 and Nest were connected to their hub.

And several more who had no idea they were using “custom code” because it was just part of the installation process—they followed the instructions they were given by a third party (the device manufacturer or integrated service) several years ago as part of setup—everything has worked fine since and they have no awareness of the underlying architecture.

2 Likes

I feel like such an idiot! I setup my smart home with SmartThings about 4 years ago, and for the most part it has worked pretty much flawlessly - Until mysteriously all my major systems stopped working. I actually found this out because my vacation home was running a toasty 90 degrees (i.e all heaters on full non-stop) for 2 wks whilst we were away because the virtual thermostat app I was using stopped working. I am actually lucky this is just a massive electric bill and not a house fire.
Obviously I am suuuuper late to this ‘post groovy’ party, I had not been following the community in the intervening years and coming back into it, its like a whole different platform.
I am really shocked that Samsung would break all this stuff out in the real world ‘over night’ without warning. I totally see now (that I am here) that his is NOT a new thing, and clearly I have been under some rock - but there was literally nothing that got my attention in the mobile app, or by email, that alerted me to this.
So now - should I re-learn this new platform and try to make it work, or just toss/sell the hub and move on?
In my other house I have 99% migrated to Home Assistant (for other reasons) so I am pretty close to flipping this over to HA as well. Where has everyone else gone / is going?

It appears you missed the announcement that was posted in the Notices section of the app on September 15, 2022 and if I remember correctly, they sent an email in August/September. (I will leave the debate to whether it was the best announcement to others) :slight_smile:

As for alternatives, the choices have mostly been Hubitat or Home Assistant. Find what suits you best and meets your needs. If you want to stay with Groovy then Hubitat is a good choice. Or use a combination of ST and the others as integrations exist.

If you were a webcore user, it still works on the Hubitat platform.

2 Likes

As I’ve mentioned, I know several people who saw that notice and assumed that it only applied to programmers. They had no idea they were using “groovy” at all, and assumed that they would get a much more specific message from smartthings If they were going to be affected, something telling them exactly what would be shut off. Since they didn’t, they just skipped over all the following notices.

One of them told me “I don’t use the smartthings platform: I only use the app.” I don’t think that’s particularly atypical for mass market customers.

6 Likes