GoControl Thermostat Setpoint Automation Issues

I was having an issues configuring my Nortek GoControl thermostat (Model GC-TBZ48) with the Samsung SmartThings app. Some of the new setpoints I was entering into an automation step in the app would fail. I had not experienced these issues in the legacy SmartThings app.

Issues:

1. Combining both a heat setpoint and a cool setpoint in an automation step caused one of the settings to fail to transfer to the thermostat.
  2. Raising a heat setpoint above the current cool setpoint (including the heat-cool delta) would cause the setting to fail to transfer to the thermostat. Also when attempting to lower the cool setpoint below the heat setpoint (including the heat-cool delta). Previously this was not an issue, the new heat setpoint would automatically “push” the cool setpoint based on the heat-cool delta, and visa versa.

Workaround:
Create separate automation steps for cool and for heat setpoint changes, making sure that there is always the minimum heat-cool delta.
I also separated the automation steps by an hour, just in case.

Additional Info:

• The heat-cool-delta on my thermostat was set at 3°F, the minimum possible.
  • I began attempting to update my setpoint settings around April 29, 2020.
  • I’ve owned the thermostat since June 2019.
  • I had been using the legacy SmartThings app up to this time.

You may be running in the deadband issue with the stock DTH. The way it work is that is maintains a minimum gap between the heating and cooling setpoint. This if fixed in the stock DTH irrespective of the thermostat model.
Also keep in mind the some thermostats like the GC-TBZ48 allow you to configure this deadband. This feature is a type of protection to prevent hunting/rapid mode changes which can hurt the compressor.

If you’re using the Enhanced Z-Wave Thermostat DTH, it allows to configure the deadband for your thermostat model and then also synchronize that with SmartThings.

Also, keep in mind that mesh issues may cause some packets to be lost, so if you send two commands in quick succession one of them may be lost which is what you’re experiencing (which can start at anytime due to the nature of th mesh). There are a couple of ways to mitigate this.

• Some thermostats support Listening mode, i.e. they are on all the time and listening for (and repeating) messages, rather than sleeping (FLiRS). For this to work the thermostat should not be battery and should have been paired with the C-Wire connected. If you aren’t sure you can look at the raw description of your thermostat in the IDE and post it here and it’ll tell you how it was paired. If it’s not in listening mode it usually helps to exclude and re pair in listening mode with the C-Wire attached.
  • Try adding some repeaters close by which buffer messages. These again help to avoid packet loss and can improve the quality of the mesh.
1 Like