Go Control Garage Opener-Randomly opening and closing!

Hello, I’ve had the Go Control Garage controller installed about 1 year on a Liftmaster Security+ Garage Opener. Twice now, after power outages, the Garage door opens and closes randomly. ST App history only shows events “Garage Door door was opened” and “Garage Door is open” (identical notifications as when opened with car or keypad remote control), unlike a deliberate ST event which adds a third notification “Garage Door door is opening”. I am using the Standard ST Device Handler.

Power cycling the hub (deliberately now), doesn’t resolve issue. I have not gone through all possible debugging possibilities yet, but I read a review somewhere complaining of this, so I’m wondering if this problem is endemic/common with the device? Maybe it’s not the Go Control at all, but this has never happened prior to installing Go Control.

Obviously, a randomly opening garage door is a huge security problem, so need a robust solution.

Thanks!

what automations do you have setup to open it? any based on presence?

2 Likes

You can open your IDE, click on My Devices -> Click your Garage door -> Click on View Events

Scroll down to the event which was “opened” randomly, click on the timestamp and it should open up a page chock full of details. If the command was sent by an app it should show up there and you could figure out other things from that page as well.

1 Like

Is the gocontrol directly connected to the opener or did you have to rig something up to make it work. I had a similar problem but was a bad solder joint where I had to wire in a garage door button between my GoControl and and the garage door because the controller wasn’t compatible with my Security+ door opener

Hi Jimmy, Garage controller presently only controlled by a Routine called “Sleep Time” that turns off all the lights and closes the garage when the routine button is pushed. So, no run-amuck SmartApps involved…yet!

Sometimes, the garage door will cycle open in closed at intervals approaching 1 minute.

Hi Urbantux, The GoControl wires go directly to the Security + screw terminals “1” and “2”, as does my wall switch console. In other words, GoControl and wall console are in parallel to terminals 1 & 2.

I have the wall console with the “lock” and unit light buttons in addition to opener motor. It’s a mystery how all that happens over the two wires from the wall console, but I’m thinking that’s not related to the random opening and closing problem.

Hi RBoy, Wow, didn’t realize the timestamp was a hyperlink.

Looks like the the garage door was busy tonight, lots of (presumed) random openings and closing…so here’s a typical eventlog of a random event “Garage Door was opened”. Below that is eventlog of a deliberate opening by Routine “Sleep Time” entitled “Garage Door door is closing”. (I redacted all the hexadecimal ID codes…I don’t know if that’s secure info, just being cautious). Clearly some differences, but interpretation not clear to me. Any observations?

(and PS, apologies for not following multiple-replies etiquette)

Garage Door was opened
Name Value
archivable TRUE
date 2018-07-25 9:55:36.954 PM MDT (2018-07-26T03:55:36.954Z)
description Garage Door was opened
deviceId [redacted]
deviceTypeId [redacted]
displayed TRUE
eventSource DEVICE
hubId [redacted]
id [redacted]
isStateChange TRUE
isVirtualHub FALSE
linkText Garage Door
locationId [redacted]
name contact
rawDescription
translatable TRUE
unixTime 1.53258E+12
value open
viewed FALSE

Garage Door door is closing
Name Value
archivable TRUE
data {
“microDeviceTile”: {
“type”: “standard”,
“icon”: “st.doors.garage.garage-closing”,
“backgroundColor”: “#00a0dc
}
}
date 2018-07-25 11:37:43.684 PM MDT (2018-07-26T05:37:43.684Z)
description Garage Door door is closing
deviceId
deviceTypeId
displayed TRUE
eventSource DEVICE
hubId
id
isStateChange TRUE
isVirtualHub FALSE
linkText Garage Door
locationId
name door
rawDescription
translatable TRUE
unixTime 1.53258E+12
value closing
viewed FALSE

Update:
I disconnected the GoControl wires from the Liftmaster Opener…Random triggers are still happening, so I have to conclude the problem is NOT the GoControl. Now I’m assuming the Liftmaster circuit board got damaged during the most recent power outage. Not sure about previous outage.

Thanks to all for their help!

3 Likes

Another award for patient problem isolation! Great job!

1 Like