Globe Suite and ST Integration

Hi, Globe Suite is listed in connected services , but only the existing devices are listed in there not the new device (which I have added via the ‘Smart Life’ app and then gets added to ST via Globe Suite). Its not listed in Smart Apps.

Yes this is the way Globe Suite intended it.

They broke something at the end of December and rather than undoing what they broke they decided to pulled the app altogether.
Some people were lucky. What ever Globe broke did not have any impact on their installation. For others devices started going offline and attempts to fix it resulted in no access to any of their devices in ST.
For sure Globe Suite could have fixed this (by rolling back whatever they did) and their CEO even promised me this would be done quickly. But instead they pulled the app and left their customers in Limbo.
So the lucky ones can see the app in ST and access their existing devices. Others cannot control their devices in ST. One thing all users have in common is none of us can add any devices.
Don’t mess with anything. Or you will lose access.

They have promised to have it fixed and Globe Suite back in ST in (or near) January.
Whether this can be believed or not is another matter. If the CEO will state it will be fixed quickly and then pull the app instead, how can they be trusted?

3 Likes

Fortunately I read this thread before I started messing with settings, thanks for starting it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Flakie99, let me explain you something. Things are always in change on a developing platform. ST continuously has changes what might breaks something. It is not as easy just to pull back something what has been deployed. It is far more easier to remove it and get it fixed properly. It is not a limbo. It should have not been deployed for public at all, if you haven’t understood what the Globe Suite people were telling.
There are plenty people happy with the integration and will be more happy when it will work.
People tend to do rants about broken things. You can even search for how many people left ST due to bugs or broken features, after using the platform for years, not just only days.
ST is in the middle of a transition and more integration are available week by week. The new app is improving too meanwhile other features are getting broken.
Most of the time there are no promises when things will work, and the promises often are broken too as the deadlines cannot be kept or other issues arise with the implemented changes.
Just an example, a few month ago I have bought an IKEA motion sensor what supposed to work at that time already with ST, but it just wasn’t. I contacted support, they haven’t had a clue what is going on. Then I posted some debug logs from the pairing process and one of the engineers contacted me to understand what is going on. It has turned out that IKEA released a new device with the same name and same Zigbee fingerprint, meanwhile it was working differently. It took a few weeks and the engineers’ got their hand one of these new devices and fixed the code for the DH. During this few weeks there were more and more people seeing the same issue and didn’t understand what is going on. The only message what we passed on that it has been worked on. And eventually it has been fixed and now it is working. A year before none of the IKEA battery powered devices were working and now all of it. It takes time to get things right.

And the people at Globe Suite, they are working on to get the integration working. No need to tell everybody that they broke it and they have just pulled the plug for now. Especially no need to blame them for anything. Creating these integrations takes a lot of time and effort to make suitable for everyone and everything. And they are doing a good job for all of us.

8 Likes

@GSzabados

Thanks for explaining things for me. It may not have appeared condescending, but it was close :wink:

Let me explain something to you:
I have worked in IT support for 30+ years so I am well familiar with the habits of senior management and project managers.
I have experience of working with software development teams and have been involved in application development myself. I still write code to this day.
This is the first time I have come across an application that is claimed was released publicly by accident, for such a long period. Apparently not once but twice.
Did they not notice all these people using a system that should be unused?
This would not be happening on my watch!

So are you saying they have not broke it and not pulled the plug?
If something is working and something changes that stops it working, it is broke. The person/organisation who made that change are the ones who broke it.
That is my opinion.
Your definition might be different but it wont change my opinion.
It also wont stop me giving my opinion to others but thanks for telling me I should not.

So accidental release or not, Second time or not. People, including myself have bought hardware to use it. What sort of outfit are they that they don’t realise lots of people are using the platform.

Now lets see if they stick to their deadlineS. One of which is January and the other is “near” January.
Hopefully my new hardware wont be sitting idle for too much longer, while I wait for them to put things right that they broke!

Great, then it is time for you to read some Dilbert to see how things are working in real life.

I prefer BOFH myself. Much more true to real life.

Unfortunately the “it worked yesterday, I didn’t change anything, but it doesn’t work today“ has been a pattern with smartthings from the very beginning. :disappointed_relieved:

People who were here 4 years ago will remember when the ability to group lights together disappeared (and never came back) and when the ability to use the contact book disappeared (and never came back) And when the smartthings brand thingShield device was dropped (and never replaced).

There are also people who bought a very expensive television set on the public promise that it would work with several different features, some of which came and went multiple times over the next few years, some of which never came at all.

Their business model does not include a guarantee of service. For anything. :scream: In fact, in the fine print of the terms it spells that out. Here’s the one for the UK, but it’s very similar for other regions. (Emphasis added.)

https://www.smartthings.com/uk/terms

Will SmartThings ever change the Services?
We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services. In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services. We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical. Similarly, we reserve the right to remove any Content (including any SmartApps or device or external service connections provided by SmartThings or by third parties) from the Services at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, if someone alleges you contributed that Content in violation of these Terms), in our sole discretion, and without notice.

You agreed to those terms when you first set up your account, although you may not have read all the fine print.

There’s no question that it’s incredibly annoying when something that worked on Monday stops working on Tuesday. Especially when you invested time, energy and actual money in the way you had it set up on Monday. But it’s part of today’s business model for many cloud-based services, including SmartThings and most of its cloud based competitors.

If you want a system which won’t pull features out from underneath you, you have to choose something which runs totally locally and where you can deny updates.

There are some software-only products like Indigo Domotics Which fit this description. Buy it, install it, and you can run it forever as long as the laptop and operating system you have still function.

But buy something which is cloud-based and costs less than £50,000 and it probably has exactly the same terms as smartthings. Any feature of the service, including integration with individual devices, can be withdrawn at any time.

Home automation systems sold for the do it yourself market just aren’t the same as enterprise level IT design. I used to work for IBM in corporate services, And most of our contracts had a guaranteed performance clause, usually measured in years. If you’ve had a career in IT, that’s probably what you’re used to. It’s just that’s not the business model for inexpensive do it yourself home automation. They’re all about what’s new and shiny and exciting and not about long-term viability.

I know it can be very frustrating, but it’s just a decision that you as a consumer have to make upfront. Are you going to purchase goods and services from companies which don’t offer guaranteed performance? If you’re not, you’re going to have many fewer choices, but you will have a few.

Submitted with respect.

4 Likes

Wow I have seen some small print in my time but that is in a a league on its own. Or maybe not? I admit to being one, of what is probably the majority, who skip over terms and conditions and just click on yes/accept. Maybe they are all along similar lines nowadays.
They might as well just say “What we give you today, we may very well take away tomorrow”.

I admit I am not a fan of this cloud model, even less so cloud-to-cloud. But it is what it is and yes, for the money I have available, there is probably nothing better. I accept this.

But, I will still keep telling companies how I feel about their terms though and how they treat customers. I don’t believe any of them should be able to just stop a device working without any comeback. I might only be a small voice but I will use it.

I do operate on a 2-3 year cycle for my products. I don’t expect anything to last longer than 3 years without me replacing it (sometimes I sell it on, sometimes recycle it). About 18 months for phones in most cases.

But if I am buying something at the beginning (or near to) of its life cycle, a relatively new product, I do expect it to work and keep working until I replace it. If it fails out of warranty then so be it, but a new device I have owned only for a few weeks? I will not be quiet. Especially when I see it as a deliberate move by the company to stop it working. In their terms and conditions or not, I will shout out. I wish others would too. Keeping quiet and even praising the company in some cases, is asking them to screw you over. They are in it for the money and the good of the company, not for the good of the individual customers.

Lest see what the rest of January brings. I think they will not deliver but I really hope I am wrong.

1 Like

I ended up replacing the firmware in my devices to remove the Tuya cloud altogether, and control my switches locally. But of course now I’m on the task of getting this firmware integrated into ST lol.

2 Likes

I would be interested I hearing more about this, especially how it will work with ST too.

Hey all,
Patiently waiting for GS to be reactivated but wondering if there are any other apps on ST that do the same thing that I can connect my devices to.
Anybody know of another all to connect everything through as a workaround?

I just use IFTTT and webhooks with virtual switches.

1 Like

If you have a computer that can run docker (eg Raspberry Pi) then there are a few gateways you can run.

hello,
noob here
can you point me and everyone to a youtube video or i dont know a guide something basic so we can follow
thank you

How would this work - I have a couple of lights and would like to move away from need of tuya app. Literally the issue hit me the day I received my ST Hub which is disappointing and made me reluctant to look at options which require an additional element in.

Look into tasmota. Here’s a few links to get you started:

My only concern about using Tasmota is that I haven’t found a way to go back to the original firmware if things don’t go to plan (eg if the Tasmota method doesn’t support all features of a device the way the eWelink app does). That’s not to say there isn’t a way to flash the original firmware; I’ve just not seen anyone write about it.

There are other possible firmwares besides Tasmota, such as ESPEasy, ESPurna, ESPHome. Some of these may have support for integrating to SmartThings. But Tasmota seems to be the most popular among SmartThings users.

As said above, look into Tasmota and tuya-convert if your devices allows it. I got lucky 4 out of 5 of and my devices were able to be flashed over the air, otherwise you’d need to flash via serial port and get some soldering tools.

As for SmartThings control, I used a slightly modified version of Brett Sheleski’s device handler.

Is this mean that Zigbee tuya light switch useless for now? Can I somehow how make it connect to ST hub through zigbee so i can control the switch through the smart life app, ifttt and google home?