Getting started with ST development—help needed

Good day… I recently acquired a Smartthings 3 hub. I’m a developer by trade and wanted to create custom rules. I found the WebCore pages and after poking around, I started to realize that the webcore stuff might be “old”. I’ve now found the Smartthings community. I’ve also created a git hub account. I’ve created new accounts in numerous places and now confused as to what is the current development environment. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

1 Like

Welcome! :sunglasses:

Shortest answer:

The smartthings system is in the middle of a huge transition: new hub, new app, new platform, new rules engine. Webcore was created for the old platform and works very well with that. The new rules API is intended for the new platform, but it’s still in development and not very many people are using it yet. And it doesn’t have full features yet.

So it’s up to you what you want to do. If you want to make smartthings work today, webcore is probably your best option.

If you just want to start learning the new platform so you are ready for the eventual future, start with the new rules API. Just be aware that it is still evolving and the documentation is not always complete or accurate.

I forgot, there’s one more possible Goldilocks option depending on exactly what kind of custom automations you need right now.

The rules engine in the new V3 app is much better than what was available in the old one. It’s not as good as Webcore, but it’s good enough for most people.

You might look and see if that in itself is enough for what you’re trying to do right now and just wait until the new platform is more settled. That will not require github or custom code, but it does allow you to create custom automations. :sunglasses: