Getting hue bulbs to reset color when switched off at night

so I have two hue bulbs in lamps in my bedroom. I have a zwave wired switch installed in the wall which is not connected to a load. I use smartthings to turn on the hue bulbs when the wall switch is turned on, and off when its switched off. that part works well.

the trouble is that it will turn the bulbs on to their previous state (whatever color and brightness they were previously set to). I would like the switch to set the bulbs to a standard warm white. I know that I can use the smart lighting app to do this, but the color selections in smartlighting are not accurate at all and i wind up with weird colors.

so… I tried using homekit… i set up an automation to run at 1am every day which would just reset the color of the bulbs. unfortunately homekit seems to be very unreliable with times automations so that is not going to work.

is there some way in smart things to just change the color of the bulbs (without turning them on) at a specific time? and if so, can I choose the exact color instead of using one of the presets from smartlighting?

and if that won’t work, then my last thought was to use IFTTT. I see that I can set the hue light to a specific color at a specific time. but what I am wondering is what happens if the bulbs are off at that time. will it change the bulbs to the desired color without turnign them on, so that when i turn on the wall switch in the mornign they will turn on to that color?

I have smartthings and I am also using homekit.

My Hue B Smart service manager should do the trick.

can I choose the exact color instead of using one of the presets from smartlighting?

1. The app converts all color info and sends Philips’ recommended XY colormap data (for consistency). The app can handle colors using Hex, Hue/Saturation, and XY colormap formats.

is there some way in smart things to just change the color of the bulbs (without turning them on) at a specific time?

1. The app now allows you to send hue & saturation to a bulb or a group that isn’t on - the device will save that data for the next time it receives an on() or setLevel() command. Using CoRE with it should do what you want.
1 Like

Most of the more advanced Hue smartapps, including Hue B Smart (I believe), let you issue a reset command to a bulb or a group of bulbs. In my experience, that command turns the bulbs on (no need to issue a turn on command before it) to the default settings of the bulb, like you were to flip the physical, hardwired light switch off and back on. Don’t know if that helps.